Telekenis Psionic Power

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lorkinas
Newb

Telekenis Psionic Power

Unread post by Lorkinas »

Okay I am having issue making a determination on this, I know Telekenis can affect a npc/character; what I do not understand is there a save or do you have to roll to hit. Seems weird it would just happen without any check.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Telekenis Psionic Power

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Yeah that's one of the issues with the system. I've usually allowed a dodge with negatives because it's an invisible attack in my games.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Tigerman543
D-Bee
Comment: " Never was a good war or a bad peace."-Benjamian Franklin

Unread post by Tigerman543 »

The Question is what is the Player Doing? Pg 297 explains you dont get a savings throw for Telekinesis. Pg 303 explains what you can or can't do.

So for instance if you want to be a Jedi and hurl rocks at someone you need to take an action to pick them up and next action throw them.

Tripping somebody by putting something in the way or making punches miss are acceptable. You can't lift people up becuse max weight tolerance is 40 lbs.

It says right In the Discription, Projectiles and gas cannot be stopped.

You can push someones arm or leg for regular humans. Anyone resisting would make a contested check on strengh.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

You can lift someone with Telekinesis Super so that's an issue, but also how would you make a contested strength check like you talk about? What's the PS of the TK attack? Does it count as regular strength or super human or supernatural? Sadly Palladium's rules don't make that clear.

Daniel Stoker
Tigerman543
D-Bee

Daniel Stoker wrote:You can lift someone with Telekinesis Super so that's an issue, but also how would you make a contested strength check like you talk about? What's the PS of the TK attack? Does it count as regular strength or super human or supernatural? Sadly Palladium's rules don't make that clear.

Daniel Stoker

True but like any Game the Mechanics have stat blocks. It really depends on what it's being used to do. Save Vs Psioncs usually works. But if not see below.

So each point of Strength adds or Dex adds to the Contested check on a D20. As normal nat 20 wins and Ties go to defender. The Attacker can use the Bonuses from M.E. the Save Vs Psionics Category to get pluses to his/her attack.

Inanimate objects shouldn't have a save but magic weapons might especially rune swords.

Save Vs Psionics works if it's a direct attack on you as well.(Meaning they are trying to pick you up or make you hit yourself) So it really depends on the GM(Situation and what the Player is doing) but Contested checks are more realistic and give a player with high Dex or Strength the ability to stop some unseen force from pushing them around.(Controlling an arm with a gun or making a weapon fly out of hand)
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I mean yes that house rule would work too? But like with being picked up one of the reasons I like dodge over save vs psionics is why would Mental Endurance help you resist being picked up? Though it works against Bio-Manipulation which actually 'touches' the brain, so what do I know? :p

Daniel Stoker
Tigerman543
D-Bee

Daniel Stoker wrote:I mean yes that house rule would work too? But like with being picked up one of the reasons I like dodge over save vs psionics is why would Mental Endurance help you resist being picked up? Though it works against Bio-Manipulation which actually 'touches' the brain, so what do I know? :p

Daniel Stoker

Bio Manipulation affects the mind and clearly a psionics save.

I've felt if a Psionic Power affects your person (Since Telekinesis Automatically hits) It would be like gravity or other unseen forces. Resisting those forces are a whole another matter.

Hitting you from behind with a car is much different than grabbing you then slamming you through a house. Sometimes I do wish Palladium was more clear on things but is really up to each DM at the end of the day.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

You'd THINK it affects the mind, but as per the description of the power "The psychic is able to induce physical trauma to the nervous system of others by sheer force of will and psychic energy."

This came up waaaay back when in a thread about Invulnerability and a Psi-Sword and it's one of the odd things that Kevin decided to throw in there that makes things more confusing then not.

Daniel Stoker
Tigerman543
D-Bee

Daniel Stoker wrote:You'd THINK it affects the mind, but as per the description of the power "The psychic is able to induce physical trauma to the nervous system of others by sheer force of will and psychic energy."

This came up waaaay back when in a thread about Invulnerability and a Psi-Sword and it's one of the odd things that Kevin decided to throw in there that makes things more confusing then not.

Daniel Stoker

A savings throw none the less. However with telekinesis you are attempting to move a physical object thus my solution.(Inanimate Objects are fine. Living ones problematic.)

I do smile when telekinesis can trip a speedster. Speed of thought vs Going Fast. Disassemble a gun or making people who fly kiss earth :bandit:
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Yeah, it's odd that that gets a savings throw when it's a physical 'attack' but moving someone's leg wouldn't. But again it's Palladium and the rules are kinda all over the place.

Disassembling a gun seems like something that'd be hard to do quickly, let alone with TK and I'd think would be something ectoplasmic hand would be better for? But again the book doesn't really make that that clear.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Telekinesis affects pressure and energy to lift and move objects. It does not attack a person's perception or mind. Therefore you cannot save vs it as you would a psionic attack to the mind. That's my take on it anyway.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight

See I tend to think that too, but <points to bio-manipulation> apparently you can per the rules when it's dealing with the brain.

Daniel Stoker

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”