Magic Weapon transformation

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Magic Weapon transformation

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

How long can a person with Magic Weapon stay transformed into his heroic self? Can a person sleep while transformed or do they revert? If someone disarms the hero do they revert?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Magic Weapon transformation

Unread post by Warshield73 »

SpiritInterface wrote:How long can a person with Magic Weapon stay transformed into his heroic self? Can a person sleep while transformed or do they revert? If someone disarms the hero do they revert?

With no time limit or other limitations stated I tend to assume they transform until they change back. I also assume they need the weapon to transform back to their regular form so if they have been disarmed they are stuck. IMO
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

If you lose your weapon, I believe the rules state you'll revert back after, like, 72 hours? I can check later.
BUt otherwise i agree with Warshield73.
Personally I'd house rule that without your weapon you can "release the power" back to the weapon, but you will be stuck in your unpowered form until you get the weapon back.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Sir_Spirit wrote:If you lose your weapon, I believe the rules state you'll revert back after, like, 72 hours? I can check later. BUt otherwise i agree with Warshield73.

I looked this over after the original post and didn't see this so if this is in the book someone please post the reference so I can find it.

Sir_Spirit wrote:Personally I'd house rule that without your weapon you can "release the power" back to the weapon, but you will be stuck in your unpowered form until you get the weapon back.

If there is no stated rule then this does just boil down to personal preference. For me, I like the idea that if the hero loses the weapon they are stuck in that form so can't resume there normal life. Gives some opportunities for drama and comedy.

I could also see a time limit or event causing a reversion. For instance in the Dresden Files sunrise is described as cleansing magic away so spells can never last more than a few days and magical constructs often disappear within a day. Something like that could be interesting.

If you received the weapon from a higher power I could see a prayer releasing you from that form as well so the possibilities are many.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SpiritInterface wrote:How long can a person with Magic Weapon stay transformed into his heroic self? Can a person sleep while transformed or do they revert? If someone disarms the hero do they revert?

Unless there are those things built into the char at time of creation, there is no limitation on the duration of a Magic Weapon's hero transformation, even if disarmed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

If this is a weapon of chaos/evil, there are no noted restrictions regarding transforming or duration.

If this is a weapon of order/good, page 146 of Heroes Unlimited noted that if the hero is without the weapon, they cannot transform back and will automatically de-transform after 72 hours.
A good aligned weapon can be used by Principled, Scrupulous or Unprincipled characters only. To anybody else it is an or­dinary weapon of superior craftsmanship, without any magical properties. The only exception is when the weapon's champion willingly lends it to someone for a specific purpose, like protecting an innocent from danger or evil forces. Under this circumstance, the borrower can draw upon the six powers of the Enchanted Weapon and use them as is necessary in fulfilling his or her noble mission. Its champion can continue to draw on the powers that transform him into a superbeing even though the two are apart, but he or she cannot transform back into their normal, mor­tal identity without the weapon. Furthermore, if separated for more than 72 hours, the character will automatically return to his ordinary human form and the weapon becomes inert (seemingly powerless). Until the two are reunited (or the mortal killed), both are powerless.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:

If this is a weapon of chaos/evil, there are no noted restrictions regarding transforming or duration.

If this is a weapon of order/good, page 146 of Heroes Unlimited noted that if the hero is without the weapon, they cannot transform back and will automatically de-transform after 72 hours.
A good aligned weapon can be used by Principled, Scrupulous or Unprincipled characters only. To anybody else it is an or­dinary weapon of superior craftsmanship, without any magical properties. The only exception is when the weapon's champion willingly lends it to someone for a specific purpose, like protecting an innocent from danger or evil forces. Under this circumstance, the borrower can draw upon the six powers of the Enchanted Weapon and use them as is necessary in fulfilling his or her noble mission. Its champion can continue to draw on the powers that transform him into a superbeing even though the two are apart, but he or she cannot transform back into their normal, mor­tal identity without the weapon. Furthermore, if separated for more than 72 hours, the character will automatically return to his ordinary human form and the weapon becomes inert (seemingly powerless). Until the two are reunited (or the mortal killed), both are powerless.

Page 146 of Heroes Unlimited. Thanks I completely missed this the first time.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

:ok:

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Thank you everyone.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”