Magical weapons cost in Heroes/Nightbane

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Magical weapons cost in Heroes/Nightbane

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

My character is looking to replace his magical Dark Blade (Seized off a Night-lord Hound) because of issues with the blade (Got a little radioactive and might be tracked by hounds).

Needs a new magical weapon for my ancient weapon master but the GM using magical gold cost times 1 million plus markup for rarity in a Heroes/Nightbane game (Found an Atlantis Impaler at 19 billion kind of rarity).

I remember the Rift conversion book listed palladium properties at Gold x $10 rather then x 1 million my GM is using but I am looking for their is an official conversion rate so I can find at least something I can reference to try and get the magical weapon prices down a little.

Need to find an official conversion rate I can present my GM with so I work towards affording something halfway decent.

Can anyone point me into the right direction for cost conversions?
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Magical weapons cost in Heroes/Nightbane

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'd say your GM is being generous by even allowing you to have a magic weapon with Ancient Weapons Master. In my games you would have to try and find one to replace one you lost, not just know where to buy one. It's not like magic users to sell magic items, after all.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is no Official conversion rate between ...say what a darkblade would cost in the NB game and what it's cost in the HU game.

And I agree with SG, the rarity issue would be more limiting than the cost issue. Probably easier to find a mage willing to take your char to a alchemist's shop in Car Itom, and back, to buy a magic blade than it is to find someone willing to sell one of their own magic blades in the HU game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Beat up another hound and take its weapon
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

NMI wrote:Beat up another hound and take its weapon
It's probably a situation where the GM is making it difficult to acquire another one. After all, the blade somehow became radioactive so his character can't use it. It's be kind of entertaining to see his character try to beat up another hound and take it though. Since they are tracking the radioactive weapon, should be easy enough to ambush them.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If the blade is fully contained, it can't leaves a radioactive trail.

If you are saying that your GM is following cartoons like GI Joe of the live action movie Thunderbirds, where something splashed with a radioactive liquid makes a tracking beacon for someone with a "special" feild usable detector....
Well Your GM is using physics alternate to the real world for his game.

To those who are going to mention the medical radiation detectors used for imaging things in the body as a counter argument....well those are quite large and their ranges are in the feet, not miles, or even 100's of miles.
-------

Now if your GM is really saying that the Darkblade is leaving a psychic trail that the Hounds are tracking. That is just the GM bending the hound's sensitivity higher, and the psychic effects of the Darkblade higher to let the hounds track the Darkblade they lost.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Well Your GM is using physics alternate to the real world for his game.

Of course they are. They are playing a superhero magical roleplaying game.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Soldier of Od wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Well Your GM is using physics alternate to the real world for his game.

Yes, they are bending reality to fit what they want to happen. GMs do that.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

I there is value in saying it out loud, cause *some ignorant person* might think it is some sort of real world thing.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Any magical weapon in HU is unique, coveted, and priceless. There is no conversion because such things are NEVER for sale.

In the case of a rare find being sold for reasons, it would be auctioned, and the price will be in the high nine, maybe 10 digits. Every person or organization with the cash will pony up for real magic. If that magic comes with superpowers, like you would find in a HU world, you'll have entire governments competing for it.

TL/DR, your GM is being generous, very generous. Respect that.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

I there is value in saying it out loud, cause *some ignorant person* might think it is some sort of real world thing.

I thought everyone used "Arrowverse Magical Technology." in their HU games. Scanners scan for basically whatever is needed. Satellites track radiation, chemicals, and even sound. Pocket sized dimensional breachers and belt-worn shrink rays are all a thing, and the speed of light is just something to break.

If you're looking for realism in the same game where my giant lizard-boy "Kaiju" uses his eye lasers to blast nazi zombie cyborgs while stomping on buildings... Buddy, I got news for you.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

ITWastrel wrote:I thought everyone used "Arrowverse Magical Technology." in their HU games. Scanners scan for basically whatever is needed. Satellites track radiation, chemicals, and even sound. Pocket sized dimensional breachers and belt-worn shrink rays are all a thing, and the speed of light is just something to break.

If you're looking for realism in the same game where my giant lizard-boy "Kaiju" uses his eye lasers to blast nazi zombie cyborgs while stomping on buildings... Buddy, I got news for you.
Nope. A lot of my games are street level and low tech. I have not had many players go the Super Invention route.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:I thought everyone used "Arrowverse Magical Technology." in their HU games. Scanners scan for basically whatever is needed. Satellites track radiation, chemicals, and even sound. Pocket sized dimensional breachers and belt-worn shrink rays are all a thing, and the speed of light is just something to break.

Nope. A lot of my games are street level and low tech. I have not had many players go the Super Invention route.

I don't even restrict super inventions to specific classes.

In my games I allow players with the appropriate skills to come up with scientifically dubious gizmos, contraptions, and extrapolations of other tech. If the player came up with an explanation of how his toon* is using six microwaves and a satellite dish to create a death ray, and the rolls are good, then his death ray gets a writeup and does a couple few D6 damage. I'd just copy the stats of an ordinary pistol, slap the words "Big, Bulky, battery-Eating Microwave Gun" on the top and make the note that it ignores armor.

I figure, the player is having a better time, being engaged and coming up with creative solutions. I also appreciate the chance to improv the chaos when things go wrong.

*An Engineer with literally all the electrical, mechanical, and computer skills and psionics including the entire Telemechanics suite, object read, and machine ghost. This dude literally speaks to the technology, and it speaks back. He said the microwaves wanted vengeance against the humans, and they wanted to be a gun. Who was I, as a GM, to say no?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ITWastrel wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

I thought everyone used "Arrowverse Magical Technology." in their HU games. Scanners scan for basically whatever is needed. Satellites track radiation, chemicals, and even sound. Pocket sized dimensional breachers and belt-worn shrink rays are all a thing, and the speed of light is just something to break.

I was only noting that the situation was not supported in the real world. and only that. As such your belittling of what I said could be taken as trolling. Please restrict your veiled insults to the sound off forum.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

ITWastrel wrote:I don't even restrict super inventions to specific classes.

In my games I allow players with the appropriate skills to come up with scientifically dubious gizmos, contraptions, and extrapolations of other tech. If the player came up with an explanation of how his toon* is using six microwaves and a satellite dish to create a death ray, and the rolls are good, then his death ray gets a writeup and does a couple few D6 damage. I'd just copy the stats of an ordinary pistol, slap the words "Big, Bulky, battery-Eating Microwave Gun" on the top and make the note that it ignores armor.

I figure, the player is having a better time, being engaged and coming up with creative solutions. I also appreciate the chance to improv the chaos when things go wrong.

*An Engineer with literally all the electrical, mechanical, and computer skills and psionics including the entire Telemechanics suite, object read, and machine ghost. This dude literally speaks to the technology, and it speaks back. He said the microwaves wanted vengeance against the humans, and they wanted to be a gun. Who was I, as a GM, to say no?
Everyone is free to run their game as they see fit. That would not fly in my games. That's all I'm saying.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I was only noting that the situation was not supported in the real world. and only that. As such your belittling of what I said could be taken as trolling. Please restrict your veiled insults to the sound off forum.

Dude, if you're getting insults from literally anything I've said, that's your paranoia. When I insult someone, it's to their face and directly.

I do find it hi-fracking-larious that you take offense in the same thread where you posted a snarky trollpost about *some ignorant person* taking things incorrectly. But then, I've noted your posts are all of a similar tone. 45% obvious, obnoxious troll, 50% unsupported rules assertions, and less than 5% useful.

You've spent your entire life trolling this forum. You have more posts than I would admit to wasting time on. You've slammed out literally thousands of snarky replies to thousands of posts. Haven't you wasted enough of your life? Surely you can just Not reply to me?

TL;DR, Not everything is about you, Karen.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:I don't even restrict super inventions to specific classes.

Everyone is free to run their game as they see fit. That would not fly in my games. That's all I'm saying.

You're missing out. The improv opportunities alone are worth the time to quick-stat a hairbrained invention. The players get into it, too.

I had one player, her character had Chemistry skills and the ability to transform elements. The player researched dangerous chemicals, chemical reactions, and similar stuff, just to have weapons in their arsenal. Gallium on Aluminum, Sodium in water, vicious acids, she had it all down, in real life, to whip out in game.

Poor girl died in a liquid nitrogen "miscalculation" early on, though. She was standing right next to the LN truck when she evaporated it's tank. She forgot she would die, too, I suppose?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nope. If I gave his character a gun that bypassed armor, one of my players would go on a killing spree, killing anyone who even slightly disagreed with the character.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ITWastrel wrote:Dude, if you're getting insults from literally anything I've said, that's your paranoia. When I insult someone, it's to their face and directly.

I do find it hi-fracking-larious that you take offense in the same thread where you posted a snarky trollpost about *some ignorant person* taking things incorrectly. But then, I've noted your posts are all of a similar tone. 45% obvious, obnoxious troll, 50% unsupported rules assertions, and less than 5% useful.

You've spent your entire life trolling this forum. You have more posts than I would admit to wasting time on. You've slammed out literally thousands of snarky replies to thousands of posts. Haven't you wasted enough of your life? Surely you can just Not reply to me?

Thank you Karen for you complaints and I will endeavor to ignore your snarky comments from now on.
And I will thank you to use "Drew', 'DK' or 'Drewkitty' when you are talking about me. As you have been asked to do.

As to my Dotting I'd and crossing t's, I am OCD about words, so when I make a specific statement I fill in things that other people leave out because they think "it is understood."

As to you %'s, whenever I am making an opinion statement I say it is my opinion. That is more than most people here do.

I am OCD (mainly about words) because I am on the Aspergers spectrum. People on the Aspergers spectrum tend to be OCD more than "normal people".
I also have social anxiety ....sooo paranoid? duh...yah...a bit. FO

Number of posts.....geee..wow.....this is the 1st time I've heard that complaint directed at me.
I've been on the PB boards since before they reset the post counts in 2004. Really a little here and a little there for 17-18 years adds up. FO

Unsupported rules comments....gee that is the norm here. I do follow my own advice and give the canon rules, as per the canon text, first without infecting it with my house rules. Since you seam to mean that you are offended by stating the rules as they are stated in the gamebooks instead of the rules 'as you understand them'. I will take that as a complement.

I try to give locations if I remember where they are. But I am no Brian. There are too many PB gamebooks to do that.

Footnote: Karen is the general term for that whiny complaining person in a restaurant that is always complaining and "wanting to speak to the manager."
Footnote2: Brian in the character in the comic "Knights of the Dinner Table" that has all the book to the game memorized. To give an example: he could tell what sort of henchmen other player rolled up with their % dice rolls for the random tables.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Jefram_denkar, I'm so sorry for whatever that was.

For unofficial conversion rates I'd, instead of trying to finding a weapon in Palladium Fantasy and converting its cost from gold, compile enough price comparisons between Rifts and other games to suggest a ~1:1 credit:dollar exchange is present, at least with respect to mundane stuff. There are some basic magic swords in Rifts Japan and China 2, with the latter being in the .7-1million price range. A good place to start for costs would be the Rifts Game Masters' Guide. If your character needs some greater rune sword style artifact it arguably warrants more narrative weight behind it than cash can provide. This is a long way to say if your character can't loot another dark blade, then maybe they should be looking to trade a kingdom for a horse, so to speak.

Regarding earlier posts, there's no call for cursing (even in code), nor appropriating medical terminology to use in flippant justifications for poor behavior. I have a couple of friends living with a diagnosis of OCD which affects their language use. While they wouldn't be caught dead with their name associated with constant spelling and grammatical errors that's independent of their condition, the effects of which on their lives prove often tragically time consuming. Stripping a condition of meaning through casual use hinders cultivation in others of the understanding and compassion required to be of service, and for what? Liking to alternate between diminishing language and calling oneself a "Grammar Nazi" isn't a justification, for anything.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:Dude, if you're getting insults from literally anything I've said, that's your paranoia. When I insult someone, it's to their face and directly.

Thank you Karen for you complaints and I will endeavor to ignore your snarky comments from now on.
And I will thank you to use "Drew', 'DK' or 'Drewkitty' when you are talking about me. As you have been asked to do.

As to my Dotting I'd and crossing t's, I am OCD about words, so when I make a specific statement I fill in things that other people leave out because they think "it is understood."

As to you %'s, whenever I am making an opinion statement I say it is my opinion. That is more than most people here do.

I am OCD (mainly about words) because I am on the Aspergers spectrum. People on the Aspergers spectrum tend to be OCD more than "normal people".
I also have social anxiety ....sooo paranoid? duh...yah...a bit. FO

Number of posts.....geee..wow.....this is the 1st time I've heard that complaint directed at me.
I've been on the PB boards since before they reset the post counts in 2004. Really a little here and a little there for 17-18 years adds up. FO

Unsupported rules comments....gee that is the norm here. I do follow my own advice and give the canon rules, as per the canon text, first without infecting it with my house rules. Since you seam to mean that you are offended by stating the rules as they are stated in the gamebooks instead of the rules 'as you understand them'. I will take that as a complement.

I try to give locations if I remember where they are. But I am no Brian. There are too many PB gamebooks to do that.

Footnote: Karen is the general term for that whiny complaining person in a restaurant that is always complaining and "wanting to speak to the manager."
Footnote2: Brian in the character in the comic "Knights of the Dinner Table" that has all the book to the game memorized. To give an example: he could tell what sort of henchmen other player rolled up with their % dice rolls for the random tables.

Thanks for sharing, but honestly, I'd appreciate less of all of this. You've been flame-baiting everyone here, and your behavior has been inexcusable.

I understand, you may not be neurotypical, but that doesn't give an excuse for your demeaning and obnoxious behavior.

If we've derailed this thread enough, I'd like to let all this go and move on.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If you hadn't said anything flaming me, I wasn't going to say anything more. So look at yourself in the mirror when you say flame baiting.

You said you didn't want to waste your time in posting here. Well it is YOU drawing this out, and it is YOU that is becoming more and more belligerent in your insults.
-----------
however, this has drifted far from the topic at had, the cost of magic items in the HU game. Unless you have further thoughts of the OP topic it would be best for no-one continue the belligerent sidetrack it had gotten onto.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Sooo....if your group is playing a hybrid of HU and NB it is going to be a fairly unique game native to your table, which makes it very difficult to use anything standard, even if we knew where a conversion guide was, and I don't. Depending on your GM bringing bits and pieces in from other games/books might be an easier fit. Hearing rumors of a tribal group in Borneo that makes magical bone weapons, and the trip/adventure it takes to go there, then to convince the locals to trust you enough to give a weapon could be epic, and might go over better with your GM then "buying" a sword. PBs titles are littered with ideas for a "magic" weapon that isn't super common, and can't be easily bought.

What sort of characters make up your group? Any chance of a mage in the group learning a spell that could help? The same with learning a Chi power, Kata, or Power like Power Weapons to fix your problem. Again, I would suggest selling the idea as a kernel for a whole adventure to get the knowledge.

Any chance your GM might go for something like that?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

Unread post by syntheticlife4m »

Not every game is going to be like Rifts where magical rune weapons can be easily and cheapily attained at the Splynn Dimensional market, and if they can be easily afforded, then whoever is running that game is doing it wrong. Look at the Bio-Weapons in the Splynn book alone, and they are in the millions as far as Rifts credits go for a magic-rich environment like the Rifts setting.

SDC settings are already known as low-magic, so the cost there could easily be x10, if not more. Something like a Greatest Rune Weapon might not even be purchasable with pure cash alone!

Creating a permanent magical item is possible, though the books don't really go into it in any setting, but the few that have touched upon it have mentioned the sacrficing of life forces and lives (eg Darkblades in Nightbane and the five ghost swords in Rifts Japan)

Also i just noticed you mentioned it was an Impaler? From the book of Rifts World Book: Atlantis? You do realize the weapon itself is listed in the book as rare and priceless, right? You have other Rune Weapons in there for 120 million credits, like the Soul Drinker, and they are less powerful!
fb.com/thepalladiummegaverse
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

So, in Century Station, the ancient master leader of the ninja clan has a Masumune Katana values at 3d4 million dollars. I'd use that as your base line.

That should score you a baseline magic weapon, a weapon along the lines of an immortal starting weapon should be roughly double that. Both of these are examples of weapons that are subtly better then non magic weapons and compare to the weapon you are replacing. And in both cases, represent the kinds of thing very long lived characters can get ahold of.

Anything with the word rune in it should be a quest item.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

The Artist Formerly wrote:leader of the ninja clan has a Masumune Katana values at 3d4 million dollars. I'd use that as your base line.

And that's not even a magical weapon at all!
The Artist Formerly
Champion

syntheticlife4m wrote:
And that's not even a magical weapon at all!

Eh. Kind of. It hits above a katana's damage code and in a post on this board Bill Coffin, while discussing mashing up games, said he gave low powered magic/mystic weapons to buff the low power classes. It gives the OP a base line fir a weapon that fills the role they are looking for. The ancient artifact of blah from the lost empire of blah is an old story hook for comic books and four color/pulp fiction.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

I mean the sword in Century Station only does 1d6 (4d6) more than normal antique katanas (3d6)

But he mentioned a rune sword earlier, an Impaler, that can cast over 20 spells per day plus possesses all normal psionics, as well as the ability to self-animate/attack, and drain souls. So if the Masamune katana goes for 3d4 million just for that, a true magical blade like the Impaler would be worth way more just for the combination of powers alone. if it's more rarer than a sword worth 120 million in Rifts Atlantis, than in a SDC world it'd be something possibly worth trillions of dollars, something governments might try to purchase for themselves.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

syntheticlife4m wrote:I mean the sword in Century Station only does 1d6 (4d6) more than normal antique katanas (3d6)

But he mentioned a rune sword earlier, an Impaler, that can cast over 20 spells per day plus possesses all normal psionics, as well as the ability to self-animate/attack, and drain souls. So if the Masamune katana goes for 3d4 million just for that, a true magical blade like the Impaler would be worth way more just for the combination of powers alone. if it's more rarer than a sword worth 120 million in Rifts Atlantis, than in a SDC world it'd be something possibly worth trillions of dollars, something governments might try to purchase for themselves.

Agreed, like I said something like that is a quest item and likely becoming a multi-power class character/mega.

The CS sword is the lowest tier magic or the greatest mundane weapon you can have. A masmune owned by the real world imperial family of Japan was said to be a magic/demon cursed blade. It went missing after the war. But that's pretty solid background for a Masamune, which popular fiction, including other palladium products treat as magic. Thus we have a baseline for the price of such a thing. A little better then normal, 7.5 million.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Would you go for other complications like a curse?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”