PU2 Immortals, what is the strongest power set and why?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

PU2 Immortals, what is the strongest power set and why?

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

Greetings,

As the thread title says, for Immortals, what is the strongest power set and why?

I was asking some things about the Wizard Supreme in another thread and one of the posters mentioned that Wizard Supreme was weak, I was surprised as it looks to my untrained eyes as the best option of the power list (spells are versatile and you can always learn more instead of powers that you are stuck from beginning to end).

It seems to me that the best option for an immortal is to be a Godling, pick a permanently active major power that is hard to replicate with spells (i.e. Invulnerability) and be a Wizard Supreme to keep growing in capabilities.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: PU2 Immortals, what is the strongest power set and why?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

That or the Demon Lord...they are about the same power wise within the initial template.

Did a 'Most APM HU Char' a while back and I used the DL rather than the Godling for some little tweak to get one or two more APM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:That or the Demon Lord...they are about the same power wise within the initial template.

Did a 'Most APM HU Char' a while back and I used the DL rather than the Godling for some little tweak to get one or two more APM.

Good idea, and what about the powers? Master Psionic, Wizard Supreme, Powers grow with age and experience, or any other of the list???
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

lbeaumanior wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:That or the Demon Lord...they are about the same power wise within the initial template.

Good idea, and what about the powers? Master Psionic, Wizard Supreme, Powers grow with age and experience, or any other of the list???

Depends on what you want to accomplish. You can build a hella solid F.I.S.H. with Godling bonuses and 5 major, one minor. Supernatural PS natively means use the minor for superhuman PS, save majors for invulnerability, sonic flight, an APS or other offensive major, and you've still got room for regeneration and divine healing.

Or, how about the god of speed? Stack Sonic speed, Rocket flight (rocket fists), and flight-superluminal. You can add in an APS and suddenly you're Apollo (plasma!) or a Wind God, or a really fast pile of bubbles...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

In my APM study, the only magic involved stuff, not self cast spells. Otherwise, only super abilities.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In my APM study, the only magic involved stuff, not self cast spells. Otherwise, only super abilities.

Could you clarify what you are espousing here? To have spells instead of super abilities? And super abilities instead of other options like psionics?
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

ITWastrel wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:

Depends on what you want to accomplish. You can build a hella solid F.I.S.H. with Godling bonuses and 5 major, one minor. Supernatural PS natively means use the minor for superhuman PS, save majors for invulnerability, sonic flight, an APS or other offensive major, and you've still got room for regeneration and divine healing.

Or, how about the god of speed? Stack Sonic speed, Rocket flight (rocket fists), and flight-superluminal. You can add in an APS and suddenly you're Apollo (plasma!) or a Wind God, or a really fast pile of bubbles...

What I want to accomplish would be the (theoretically) most powerful character among the power sets listed for Immortals.

Most powerful defined as a combination of number of attacks, immunities or resistances, versatility in powers, etc. My understanding is that magic is the best since you can learn a spell for almost anything, and you can keep learning spells at any point in your career, unlike powers that you are stuck from beginning to end.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

My argument about a Wizard Supreme being weak stems from the fact that you don't get inherent spells with the class, you have to buy them as you go. Compared to other magic OCCs and Mystic Study, it comes up relatively low powered, especially when you consider that spells take a longer time to cast than attacks using powers. Yes, magic is versatile, but you get more bang for your buck by borrowing from other settings or combining Wizard Supreme with Mystic Study.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

lbeaumanior wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In my APM study, the only magic involved stuff, not self cast spells. Otherwise, only super abilities.

Could you clarify what you are espousing here? To have spells instead of super abilities? And super abilities instead of other options like psionics?

I was responding to Your questions from Your last post before this quoted one. So go see what You asked and think about the answer I gave.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Eh, sort of depends on your definition of powerful. Is it damage output? Versatility? Skill/power set? Overall playability?

Human immortal gives you a increadabilly usefull shape change, a frightening level of healing factor and dice roll for a bunch of bonus skills. This gives you the most useful base start.

Then you have to decide your powers. Straight magic is troublesome because of Palladium's inconsistent position on magic spells, RAW vs rules as intended and can magic rules/systems from other books be applied here? Psionics+powers will give you more consistent build, or just straight powers. Start with space native as your cornerstone for all of it's incredible defensive abilities. Then build your character to taste from there.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Then you have to decide your powers. Straight magic is troublesome because of Palladium's inconsistent position on magic spells, RAW vs rules as intended and can magic rules/systems from other books be applied here? Psionics+powers will give you more consistent build, or just straight powers. Start with space native as your cornerstone for all of it's incredible defensive abilities. Then build your character to taste from there.

I second the Psi+super-abilities being a bit easier to have and know what you'll get rules-wise.
Consider the Defensive Will minor super-ability as well, it gives you a whole list of bonuses to various saves, and small set of other advantages, such as ignoring penalties to dodging missiles/bullets.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Magic and Psionics, RAW, are inherently inferior to super abilities.

Even with perfect rolls and maximum PPE (or ISP) you will run out. You will run out quickly, and you will replenish it very, very, very slowly. So slowly, in fact, that you may question why these rules were written this way.

You will see your teammates flying, shooting eyebeams, transforming materials, and becoming kaiju while you wait for your PPE to return. Better pick up a gun, some armor, and a set of skills to support your gun usage. It'll give you something to do while you're Wizard Supreme, hold the magic.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Well you can watch your team mates for two rounds until you end combat with cloud of sleep.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”