Question about Pause Temporal Flow

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Regularguy
Adventurer

Question about Pause Temporal Flow

Unread post by Regularguy »

Temporal Slip mentions that the world around the character gets “frozen in place,” such that a bird will “hang in mid-flight” — but immediately specifies that the character can, for example, “set traps” (which I’d figured means that stuff can be moved around) and “open doors” (which, as far as I can tell, can’t not mean that stuff can be moved around).

So my first question is: was that the intent, that stuff can be moved around during a Temporal Slip? And, if so: does that mean a character can’t, say, step on a low-flying bird that’s frozen in mid-flight and use it to stepping-stone one’s way up to a high ledge, because it’d just wind up getting pushed down? (Or is it that one can’t move it around, and so can use it as a stepping-stone?)

And is the idea that it should be the same, or different, for people zapped by the Pause Individuals In Time effect? If they were in mid-air when they got frozen, can they get moved around, or do they hang in place to be climbed up on or whatever? If they get frozen in the middle of a road, what’s supposed to happen if a speeding car slams into them?

Is there any kind of definitive answer?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Question about Pause Temporal Flow

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It would be nice if you give a book page citation, or give a clue like 'thing power' or 'this spell'when you ask about something.So everyone is looking at the same page....literally.

Time Slip. HUGMG page 187, makes a good reference point for your Q#1, since I can't find any temporal

As to your question #1: It would be that the spell will act with the intent of the caster. so yes the stuff the caster wants to move will move, and the stuff the caster wants to remain in place will remain in place.

Those beings or objects that are paused can also be climbed upon.

There is an example of #2 in the Peter C. Doctor Who story arcs where The Master pauses the planes flying in the air, and they don't fall down.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Regularguy
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It would be nice if you give a book page citation, or give a clue like 'thing power' or 'this spell'when you ask about something.So everyone is looking at the same page....literally.

Yes, that’s why the thread title is “Question about Pause Temporal Flow”.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Regularguy wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It would be nice if you give a book page citation, or give a clue like 'thing power' or 'this spell'when you ask about something.So everyone is looking at the same page....literally.

Why did you answer the book/page citation request with the above fish?

And there are several books in the HU Game books that have powers in them. Which is why I was asking for a <descriptive adverb> book /page citation instead of just the <descriptive adverb> name of the super-/psi-power/spell that give no <descriptive adverb> clue which book to look in.

I will have to say that I do remember seeing a power like the one you're describing but what book is it in....????
I also remember something about that the wording in the power was messed up and didn't reflect how the time flow changes would work.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Regularguy
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

And there are several books in the HU Game books that have powers in them. Which is why I was asking for a <descriptive adverb> book /page citation instead of just the <descriptive adverb> name of the super-/psi-power/spell that give no <descriptive adverb> clue which book to look in.

No, you specifically said “give a book page citation, or give a clue like 'thing power' or 'this spell'when you ask about something” — and, per your “or” there, I did the latter.

If you also want a book/page citation, it’s PU3, pages 83 and 84.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It would be nice if you give a book page citation, or give a clue like 'thing power' or 'this spell' when you ask about something.So everyone is looking at the same page....literally.

The above is the whole of what of what you quoted. look at it as a WHOLE. It does request a book/page citation.
Actually, if you want to get technical, it request you to put the book/page citation in your posts without someone having to request it from now on.
-------
Yep, you posted the name of the power in the title. And you didn't start at the begining your thoughts in the actual post.

---------
3. Temp. Slip: yep answered it right due to that it is, in the basics, the same as the Time Slip spell. It is just the power is double the length of the spell.

1. Pause Ind. &/or veh.: some body else could climb upon the pause stuff/people. But not the power's user. They are using up their concentration holding the effect.
Regularguy
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:1. Pause Ind. &/or veh.: some body else could climb upon the pause stuff/people. But not the power's user. They are using up their concentration holding the effect.

How do you figure? Maintaining the power uses up not all of the character’s attacks/actions each round, but all but one of the character’s attacks/actions each round.

Can’t that remaining attack/action be used for this?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Regularguy wrote:Temporal Slip mentions that the world around the character gets “frozen in place,” such that a bird will “hang in mid-flight” — but immediately specifies that the character can, for example, “set traps” (which I’d figured means that stuff can be moved around) and “open doors” (which, as far as I can tell, can’t not mean that stuff can be moved around).

So my first question is: was that the intent, that stuff can be moved around during a Temporal Slip? And, if so: does that mean a character can’t, say, step on a low-flying bird that’s frozen in mid-flight and use it to stepping-stone one’s way up to a high ledge, because it’d just wind up getting pushed down? (Or is it that one can’t move it around, and so can use it as a stepping-stone?)

And is the idea that it should be the same, or different, for people zapped by the Pause Individuals In Time effect? If they were in mid-air when they got frozen, can they get moved around, or do they hang in place to be climbed up on or whatever? If they get frozen in the middle of a road, what’s supposed to happen if a speeding car slams into them?

Is there any kind of definitive answer?

There is no definitive answer, and the spell that Temporal Slip is based on is even more poorly worded, and endlessly argued and reinterpreted in numerous old threads on this board. The best answer you can have is the one your GM decides (or that you as a GM decide).

The character cannot physically hurt any living crea­ture or damage any item frozen in time. But he can move through his physical environment, open doors, grab an item, run away, read a computer screen, set traps, etc.

When I look at this through the lens of the fiction that inspired abilities like this, in that fiction characters with similar time-stop abilities are able to touch and move both objects and living things at their discretion, but those characters also don't take advantage of that to directly harm their opponents, instead moving them such that when time unfreezes or speeds back up their paused actions harm themselves.

So yes, it seems to me that the intent with this sub-power is that the bird hanging in mid-air is an immovable object, until the user of the power decides to move it - then, still frozen in time like a statue, it is able to be grabbed and placed somewhere else. Once the user lets go, it will become frozen in place again until the power ends, at which point it will resume flying in the new spot.

With Pause Individuals and/or Vehicles, the targets appear to be similarly frozen mid-air if that's how the use of the ability was timed. But this sub power specifically makes the target(s) immobile and immune to all outside forces, which is different wording than the Pause sub power. A vehicle crashing into a frozen individual would take damage per the collision rules, and the individual would remain unharmed. Neither the power user nor anyone else could move them, as this sub power description makes no allowances for auch things, unlike the other use.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I would say you can move things around, you just can't directly damage them. Say, by blasting them with your EE:Force minor super-ability. But you can push them in front of a guy firing bullets, or move the bullets to be aimed at them, though who knows if that will work or if the bullets will act weirdly.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”