Can divided attacks be made against the same target?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NeoGenMike
D-Bee

Can divided attacks be made against the same target?

Unread post by NeoGenMike »

Like in EE: Electricity it says a divided attack from both hands is one action. So can you fire both at one target dealing double damage? Or does it mean damage is divided between both hands just doing the 3D6+1D6 per level?
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Re: Can divided attacks be made against the same target?

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Well, keep in mind you have a lot of penalties to make each shot. So I don't see why not. It's probably not the intended idea but doubling damage while making you roll twice with not bonuses seems a fair trade to me. I would just argue you should be able to do a "powershot" since the rules allow all sorts of power attacks [punches and kicks, notably]. The superbrawl rules state all attacks in it are power attacks anyway.

Basically I would say it works like this. You take your first action to announce you are doing a powershot[a power attack with a EE power] there is probably a noticable effect like your eyes/hands glowing or a hum in the air etc, and then on your next turn you make a normal attack role with normal bonuses and it does double damage.
It takes two actions because power attacks take atleast two of your attacks.
Those are my thoughts.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

NeoGenMike wrote:Like in EE: Electricity it says a divided attack from both hands is one action. So can you fire both at one target dealing double damage? Or does it mean damage is divided between both hands just doing the 3D6+1D6 per level?

I have to go with the idea that the book says that the damage is divided not doubled.

Heroes Unlimited Main Book, pg 230 wrote:"However, the key word here is a "divided" attack. The amount of damage inflicted by each blast can not be greater than half of his normal maximum damage. Staying with the example of a 6th level hero, the character could shoot two simultaneous blasts, each doing a maximum of 4D6 damage.

Dividing the attack would let you roll 2 separate attack rolls (with no bonuses to hit) giving you 2 chances to hit the target. If your hero doesn't have very good stats or bonuses then it would give you extra chances of hitting a difficult target.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

NeoGenMike wrote:Like in EE: Electricity it says a divided attack from both hands is one action. So can you fire both at one target dealing double damage? Or does it mean damage is divided between both hands just doing the 3D6+1D6 per level?

Multiple attacks in the same APM divid up the damage from the usable whole for that APM.
Example: if the super has a total of 4d6 for one APM, then when divided into two bolts each bolt would do 2d6 SD each.
The thing about divided bolts is that each require a strike roll. thus there is a greater probability of one of them hitting the target.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Mr Scorpio wrote:

I have to go with the idea that the book says that the damage is divided not doubled.

Heroes Unlimited Main Book, pg 230 wrote:"However, the key word here is a "divided" attack. The amount of damage inflicted by each blast can not be greater than half of his normal maximum damage. Staying with the example of a 6th level hero, the character could shoot two simultaneous blasts, each doing a maximum of 4D6 damage.

Dividing the attack would let you roll 2 separate attack rolls (with no bonuses to hit) giving you 2 chances to hit the target. If your hero doesn't have very good stats or bonuses then it would give you extra chances of hitting a difficult target.

Per HU2e the damage if each attack "cannot be greater than half his normal maximum damage"

As far as I recall, the ability states you can attack two targets. Nobody ever said you must. The ability further describes the effect of simultaneous attacks, divided damage, and a severe attack penalty.

You shoot two simultaneous blasts and divide the damage. Your target selection is on you. Seems rules as intended to me.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”