Heal Others Superpower?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Heal Others Superpower?

Unread post by ManDrakeTWise »

I was bored and decided to watch My Hero Academia the other day, to get some inspiration for a Heroes Unlimited campaign. And it hit me, I couldn't think of a single superpower that allows a Super to heal other people like in the show. Well let me rephrase that, no super power that does it without debilitating the healer, because I know Divine Healing and Healing Power has it as an option that you can shift damage from the target to the healer, but not true healing. I guess on some level I'd always been unconsciously aware of it, because all my campaigns always had a psychic or mage that had a healing power/spell, or every player had some form of regeneration, to help heal the group. But it strikes me as odd that there wasn't a superpower for that in the HU universe. Did I miss something somewhere?
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Heal Others Superpower?

Unread post by Regularguy »

ManDrakeTWise wrote:But it strikes me as odd that there wasn't a superpower for that in the HU universe. Did I miss something somewhere?

Flesh Works, in Powers Unlimited 3.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

healing in combat IS pretty rare. In fact, my guess is only D&D has a lot of that with clerics healing hundreds of damage in a single burst of light. Heck for the most part, healing via wizardly is very inefficient especially to yourself. Only the higher level spells really amount to much.

Overall, palladium characters are generally expected to heal their 8 SDC per night and work with that.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

A character with Super-Regeneration (or Regeneration Ultima) and Grant Powers will be a powerful healer for non-super characters. If the person has Divine Healing too, their regeneration helps seriously negate the health loss from Divine Healing.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Wow three great answers, thanks so much.

Regularguy wrote:Flesh Works, in Powers Unlimited 3.

That was completely luser error on my part. I even went and checked Flesh Works cause I figured it had to have something before I posted, but evidently I didn't check the third page and there it is clear as day as the last entry on the power.

zerombr wrote:healing in combat IS pretty rare. In fact, my guess is only D&D has a lot of that with clerics healing hundreds of damage in a single burst of light.  Heck for the most part, healing via wizardly is very inefficient especially to yourself. Only the higher level spells really amount to much.

Overall, palladium characters are generally expected to heal their 8 SDC per night and work with that.

Interesting, I agree it's not very practical in combat. But after combat was more of how the teams were using it. Admittedly at the time it was a major issue the team was fighting an army of soldiers in Africa, so they didn't have access to proper hospitals. So they were getting half that as a result.

Glistam wrote:A character with Super-Regeneration (or Regeneration Ultima) and Grant Powers will be a powerful healer for non-super characters. If the person has Divine Healing too, their regeneration helps seriously negate the health loss from Divine Healing.

Interesting idea Glistam. I hadn't considered doing that way, because mostly my teams are all supers. I found the Divine Healing regeneration to be kind of slow relatively speaking 6 SDC per hour and 3 HP per hour. Healing 4d6 averages 3.5 per 1d6, so on average 14 healed. So like 2 and third hours for recovery per healing.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I prefer playing characters with rapid healing built in to their powers, such as those with an Alter Physical Structure power. I don't like relying on others to heal me. This is a game of heroes, not walking wounded.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

if the char is a mystical bestow abilities...then the is within base concept of the char that they could of been bestowed the 'healing touch' from the Priest of Light class. A 'granted power/ability/magic character template' like the MBA power cat.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

PU1 Power Touch

I've got a character named Mr. Miraculous (Mystically Bestowed; Power Touch, Ex. PE, Wingless Flight)
With 30 PE he has 1500 power points
Power Touch allows you to heal 2 SDC for ever 3 power points.
So if he doesn't use his power points for anything else that is 1000 SDC.
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:if the char is a mystical bestow abilities...then the is within base concept of the char that they could of been bestowed the 'healing touch' from the Priest of Light class. A 'granted power/ability/magic character template' like the MBA power cat.

I never really thought of adding in God's to the Heroes Unlimited Universe. Very interesting idea, I'll have to think about that one.

Incriptus wrote:PU1 Power Touch

I've got a character named Mr. Miraculous (Mystically Bestowed; Power Touch, Ex. PE, Wingless Flight)
With 30 PE he has 1500 power points
Power Touch allows you to heal 2 SDC for ever 3 power points.
So if he doesn't use his power points for anything else that is 1000 SDC.

Interesting, I never noticed the Power Touch had a healing option. Do you find yourself restricted by the fact that you have to wait until the next day to get your power touch points back? Rather than getting them regenerated at some set interval throughout the day? That feels instinctively restrictive to me, but may just be a limitation of my imagination.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

ManDrakeTWise wrote:no super power that does it without debilitating the healer, because I know Divine Healing and Healing Power has it as an option that you can shift damage from the target to the healer, but not true healing

There's also Bestow Powers if you have a Regeneration ability (which comes in handy since it costs HP to bestow a power)

or if you have a Super-Invention from PU3 you could perhaps just lend it to an ally to use?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Powers Unlimited 1 offers a healing psionic power called "Wound Transfer" that's pretty neat.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ManDrakeTWise wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:if the char is a mystical bestow abilities...then the is within base concept of the char that they could of been bestowed the 'healing touch' from the Priest of Light class. A 'granted power/ability/magic character template' like the MBA power cat.

I never really thought of adding in God's to the Heroes Unlimited Universe. Very interesting idea, I'll have to think about that one.

It doesn't even have to be a deity that bestows the powers. One of the published NPCs it is a fairy queen that bestowed the powers.

the plural of god is gods.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

A fun choice that hasn't been mentioned yet is the major superpower Energy Drain & Expulsion: Life Source, found in Armageddon Unlimited pp 15-16. It requires a draining attack done at touch range, but allows half the drain total to be fired with the character's next attack as a healing beam at a range of 500'. I don't think, offhand, that there is a method described in the books to make the initial drain ranged, but could be wrong.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:One of the published NPCs it is a fairy queen that bestowed the powers.

I want to learn more about her
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Don't rightly remember where. But for some reason my brain is saying it was for a NB (game) male NPC...maybe in a rifter Can't swear to that.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

ManDrakeTWise wrote:Wow three great answers, thanks so much.

Regularguy wrote:Flesh Works, in Powers Unlimited 3.

That was completely luser error on my part. I even went and checked Flesh Works cause I figured it had to have something before I posted, but evidently I didn't check the third page and there it is clear as day as the last entry on the power.

IIRC APS:Skeleton lets you heal broken bones[subability #5], and I think APS blood also gives you 2 healing powers[numbers 8 and 9, you can transfuse/donate your blood to anyone by touch, and clot blood].
THis lets you make a creepy healer if you took all three, Fleshworks, APS;Blood and APS:Bone.
It would also give you a bunch of other useful powers in combat. Or to escape captivity possibly.

ManDrakeTWise wrote:
Glistam wrote:A character with Super-Regeneration (or Regeneration Ultima) and Grant Powers will be a powerful healer for non-super characters. If the person has Divine Healing too, their regeneration helps seriously negate the health loss from Divine Healing.

Interesting idea Glistam. I hadn't considered doing that way, because mostly my teams are all supers. I found the Divine Healing regeneration to be kind of slow relatively speaking 6 SDC per hour and 3 HP per hour. Healing 4d6 averages 3.5 per 1d6, so on average 14 healed. So like 2 and third hours for recovery per healing.

Keep in mind, you can't give major powers with Grant Powers, only minors powers, either a minor you have, or random ones[I assume the major healing powers are because it costs HP to use Grant Powers].
I suggest using healing factor as a minor power. while not as great as the bigger self healing powers it can be given out, and it will have them heal themselves. And since it makes it's holder immune to disease, could use it to cure people of disease. and make money curing rich poeple or their loved ones.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
ManDrakeTWise wrote:

Keep in mind, you can't give major powers with Grant Powers, only minors powers, either a minor you have, or random ones[I assume the major healing powers are because it costs HP to use Grant Powers].
I suggest using healing factor as a minor power. while not as great as the bigger self healing powers it can be given out, and it will have them heal themselves. And since it makes it's holder immune to disease, could use it to cure people of disease. and make money curing rich poeple or their loved ones.

Per the pdf edition of Powers Unlimited 3, dated December 2017, the super power makes no such restriction regarding the transfer of a major power, except in the case where a random power is bestowed.
Unusual even among super abilities, this power does not grant the super being any additional special abilities, instead it allows him to temporarily grant a super power to an otherwise ordinary character! Note: Does NOT work on other beings with super abilities!

The power instilled can be one of the super being's own, other abilities (excludes Grant Powers) at half the level of power/experience that he is currently, or a Ran­dom Minor Super Ability at first level strength/potency. The super being retains all of his own abilities (Le., he can give out a copy of one of his own powers without losing that power himself).

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:One of the published NPCs it is a fairy queen that bestowed the powers.

I want to learn more about her

The NPC was in the Century Station, One of the top team guys. He is a Mega-Mystically Bestowed. Has like Invulnerability and Supernatural Strength, plus Mega-strength and Tremendous SDC.
The Faerie Queen was the last "faerie" on earth[edit: a quick re-read says she was just the last faerie of her clan on earth]. He found her in status, she was awaiting to empower a prophesied champion. She empowered him and left earth.
You could decide she's Mab or Titania or whomever. She was just part of Haven's backstory. Century Station->Page 109
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”