Do you think City of Caseade can wokr as it's own book?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Do you think City of Caseade can wokr as it's own book?

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think City of Caseade can wokr as it,s own book?
They need to Add few more Npcs,Maps,All the Spicial Training updates from Rifter.

What do you think is needed to make a City of Caseade,s book?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Do you think City of Caseade can wokr as it's own book?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Based on PB's past work I would expect any book of that area to be a regional book. Whit several cities within it. This is besides that I think it was covered in the New West and Spirit West books...at least in a general since of the aspects of those two books covered.

It might be interesting if there was there was some sort of 'places of interest' that happened between now the play era.
Maybe the real 'lady of the lake' move from England to one of the lakes in the region. [Or maybe Nessy move to one of the lakes.] Or maybe there was an Arcology that was isolated and mostly untouched by the coming to the rifts.
Or their was a D-rift that moved the region as a whole in time from the coming of the rifts to the play era. So suddenly there is a population of the CS in the backwoods with their pre-rifts culture intact. Or part of the Altess military base on the dimensionally unstable planet got moved there.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

What's City of Caseade?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Setting books are tricky and if I were you I would look at Century Station for ideas as to what to add.

A few things I think it would need
- First and foremost is originality. You need new Corporations, new NPCs, new villains. Should go without saying but I'm saying it.
- Second and this is going to sound stupid it needs to be Heroes Unlimited. You need some things that connect it to the other books like corporations or NPCs but at least a few. Even connections to other PB properties like Wilks, Triax, KLS, Cyberworks.
- Maps with descriptions and a few specific locations.
- Police NPCs. Good, bad and the average.
- City government. The elected officials, rivals, and the unofficial power players.
- History. Why is place special and why am I adventuring here.
- Finally it needs a guide for what player characters are appropriate for the setting since it is supposed to be a more street level game.

Just a few thought but I really liked what was in Rifter 84.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Mr. Stoker, The Dark City of Cascade is an article found in Rifter 84. Originally an advertised book based on a proposal from Erick Wujick, it details a Heroes Unlimited city that exchanges an emphasis on superpowers for more mundane crime with supernatural background elements. It's not too dissimilar from a fictional Detroit where the Fermi 1 accident was due to the plant being on a ley line, subsequently attracting Entities. While organized crime, as directed by a group of semi-anonymous Arbiters, is both so ubiquitous and efficient that Cascade serves as a regional hub for brokering illicit deals, rather than any sort of Robocop resistance comes in the form of the occasional hunted vigilante.

I honestly hope Palladium doesn't try to publish a Cascade City book. Setting books live or die on two things: engaging elements, and good advice on how to apply them. It's all too easy to make shovelware of the former, particularly given the inflated footprint PB character stats often have, and the latter is often only thrown in as an afterthought. I also strongly suspect a Cascade book would lean towards Wujicksploitation. Better, perhaps, that if a new HU book gets made it could be more broadly applicable.

If one has access to them, I'd recommend taking a look at the Noir and Iron Age sourcebooks for Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition. While they contain plently of archetypes one could reference when writing up NPCs for a Cascade game, much like with GURPS books the best part is the system-agnostic advice on how best to capture such a setting's theme.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Daniel Stoker wrote:What's City of Caseade?

Daniel Stoker

When I googled it it came up with city in Idaho.
And now looking back I totally when rifts in my text...*rolleyes @ self*
Thou the OP could of given some 'context' to the question that was asked.

Warshield73 wrote:Setting books are tricky and if I were you I would look at Century Station for ideas as to what to add.

If you are writing up a city book (any)...yup.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Dark City of Cascade in the Rifter article is not developed enough to get its own book. What I would like to see is a Cities Unlimited book that tells me how to make my own cities for my campaigns.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

yeah its not too developed, I didn't want to get too deep in it for just a rifter article. Honestly I'm not sure what more I'd add to really fill it out.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I definitely think Cascade would work as it's own book - with some expansion. The obvious thing to do is to include as an extra all of the revised Physical/Special Training class write ups in the recent Rifters, as these are connected to the article about the city. If there are any training classes not already written about there (are can't remember if the articles covered them all), then add those.

I recently GM'd a one-shot set in the city of Cascade, using pre-generated low-level heroes, most of whom were made using the Rifter articles. It was a lot of fun!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Soldier of Od wrote:I definitely think Cascade would work as it's own book - with some expansion. The obvious thing to do is to include as an extra all of the revised Physical/Special Training class write ups in the recent Rifters, as these are connected to the article about the city. If there are any training classes not already written about there (are can't remember if the articles covered them all), then add those.

I recently GM'd a one-shot set in the city of Cascade, using pre-generated low-level heroes, most of whom were made using the Rifter articles. It was a lot of fun!

Oh that warms my heart to hear you enjoyed it! And yeah I figured if it was a small sourcebook I'd do exactly that, but I feel I need to really push deeper into the city itself, I am just not sure what to add. Minutia is something I struggle with. I want to do a section regarding the Down, because that could be a ton of fun, but not sure what else.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

zerombr wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:I definitely think Cascade would work as it's own book - with some expansion. The obvious thing to do is to include as an extra all of the revised Physical/Special Training class write ups in the recent Rifters, as these are connected to the article about the city. If there are any training classes not already written about there (are can't remember if the articles covered them all), then add those.

Oh that warms my heart to hear you enjoyed it! And yeah I figured if it was a small sourcebook I'd do exactly that, but I feel I need to really push deeper into the city itself, I am just not sure what to add. Minutia is something I struggle with. I want to do a section regarding the Down, because that could be a ton of fun, but not sure what else.

I bet if you started to write a more detailed version of the Down, during the process you would end up thinking of more stuff that would work for the rest of the city and ideas would spread from there. Then write an adventure for the back of the book!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I fully support a Dark City of Cascade book and would put in a pre-order for it. ( I suppose I could just send you the money directly via paypal). I had a huge amount of fun when you ran our characters through it. You gave us just enough of a taste for the different regions and areas of the city that it made my imagination's mouth water wanting more details.

Write it up, compile it. Add maps, npc's (You already have 1/2 a doxzen police npc's if I recall), and places of interest. Heck, add the Big Brown Hound and his humorously antagonistic relationship with CCPD
Det.'s Yindel and D'acosta(?)

I think if you flesh out the different regions you should have enough for a moderate sized book.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

your approval fills me with joy. Many thanks to the Hound and his compatriots.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I will love a Book on 3 H.U,s Cities,One of them being Caseade from Rifter 84,I also Hope they add Updated Special Trainering types from Rifter.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

gaby wrote:I will love a Book on 3 H.U,s Cities,One of them being Caseade from Rifter 84,I also Hope they add Updated Special Trainering types from Rifter.

They don't need to tack the special training types from Rifter to everything. They need to have a special Training Unlimited book for those. That way people won't have to buy it if they don't want to. I have already said they need a citybuilder book. In the past they have made premade settings books with each city having its own book, such as Century Station and Gramercy Island. Something like that would also be acceptable.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

instead of a city builder, I think there's more use for a book about how superhuman activities work. Like, I can't tell you much about how a money laundering operation goes, so maybe a section that does a generic explanation about how 20 types of organizations work. "Oh for this sort of weapons sales, you'd need a distribution, and transporting, and manufacturing etc..."

Might just be me, lol
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

zerombr wrote:instead of a city builder, I think there's more use for a book about how superhuman activities work. Like, I can't tell you much about how a money laundering operation goes, so maybe a section that does a generic explanation about how 20 types of organizations work. "Oh for this sort of weapons sales, you'd need a distribution, and transporting, and manufacturing etc..."

Might just be me, lol

I think a book of generic things like this would work well for all the modern games - HU, BTS, even Nightbane and Ninjas & Superspys

Add in a generic sherriffs department, a generic city hall, generic gun store, etc.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

zerombr wrote:instead of a city builder, I think there's more use for a book about how superhuman activities work. Like, I can't tell you much about how a money laundering operation goes, so maybe a section that does a generic explanation about how 20 types of organizations work. "Oh for this sort of weapons sales, you'd need a distribution, and transporting, and manufacturing etc..."

Might just be me, lol
So a how-to guide on crimes for the GM. Brilliant!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

glad you think so, Stone. Maybe if this gets some more support, maybe that's what I need to do next.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

zerombr wrote:glad you think so, Stone. Maybe if this gets some more support, maybe that's what I need to do next.
I'd buy it. But books are so slow in getting published I'm not going to hold my breath.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

With Palladium books ending Rifter,I think it,s time to add a few New Books to Not Just Rifts but H.U,PFrpg abd BtS.

Do you thin they will do it?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaby wrote:With Palladium books ending Rifter,I think it,s time to add a few New Books to Not Just Rifts but H.U,PFrpg abd BtS.

You're trying to hijack this thread. Stop it.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

gaby wrote:With Palladium books ending Rifter,I think it,s time to add a few New Books to Not Just Rifts but H.U,PFrpg abd BtS.

This broad a topic change really should go to the All Things Palladium or Palladium Wishlist forums, since it asks questions of what PB's plans should be given the current RPG economy.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Sorry.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:

This broad a topic change really should go to the All Things Palladium or Palladium Wishlist forums, since it asks questions of what PB's plans should be given the current RPG economy.

Given the fact that Kevin has already said they are working on more books, does it even need to be discussed? We all know Kevin wants to put out more books, he just doesn't get them out in a timely manner if at all.
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

I would buy a City of Cascade book; but not for the City of Cascade itself. I would buy it for being, in effect, “Training Unlimited”: a book that focuses on those heroes that have Physical Training and Special Training; and where uber-competence dominates, not hypertechnology, supernatural abilities, mutations, or other exotic powers. The closest you should get to the supernatural should be the stage magician's illusions; the closest you should get to hypertech should be the secret agent's gadgets; and the closest you should get to exotic abilities should be the ancient master's martial arts.

Cascade itself only interests me as a worked example of a setting dominated by training; and I'd frankly be more interested in a Training Unlimited book with a Cascade City appendix than in a Cascade City book.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”