How much work do you guys put into session prep?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dmariz18
Newb

How much work do you guys put into session prep?

Unread post by dmariz18 »

How much work do you guys put into session prep? I used to write whole scripts for my NPCs and take my books to the copier at work to make copies of monster sheets, but these days (almost two years into this campaign) I mostly just spec out the fights and maybe have bullet points of what the NPCs need to get across to the players, which feels like opposite ends of a spectrum if I ever heard one. Where do you folks land?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: How much work do you guys put into session prep?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

For HU the biggest thing is to have your NPCs stated out, especially those that might be combatants. I tend to use NPCs from the books just give them new names and change some skills and powers around for minor characters just to save time.

I also try to have maps and building layouts handy like an office complex or a warehouse plus any documents I want the PCs to have.

A basic outline of how the adventure can progress with branching ideas is also a good idea as well as a list of facts, evidence, and rumors I want the PCs to find.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I stat out the NPCs and get a general idea of what I want the story and challenges for the Pcs to be. As my players usually don't follow along with what I prepare generally, I don't plan for specific fights or map out everything. I have generalized maps I can refer to if the PCs go to a locaion that relies on knowing how much their movement rate is.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If it is mostly a interaction game, then not too much. If I got a set piece in the game I do map set up and maybe some dialog that I need to get strait before hand.

If it is a campaign with definite goals then I would outline the whole thing before hand and try to keep up with he player's sidetracks during the game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I stat out the NPCs and get a general idea of what I want the story and challenges for the Pcs to be. As my players usually don't follow along with what I prepare generally, I don't plan for specific fights or map out everything. I have generalized maps I can refer to if the PCs go to a locaion that relies on knowing how much their movement rate is.

I'll second your G.M. approach. Things are kind of stated out and outlined, but I'm familiar enough with the story/adventure/scenrio that I can improv anything any player decides too,
do in fact I thrive on improving during conventions.
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Depends on what i have planed , i make npc all the time so i got some for on the fly for a quick want to do some thing game . Long games i will make detailed npc find maps and layout for some things buildings banks etc or make my own like converting the dray class fleet tender . From fleets of the three galaxies in to a carrier for pirates that took some time . So it can take some time spent a week planning some thing big hell i even commissioned art work for npc items and zones etc .

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”