Best book (any line) for new spells in HU?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Best book (any line) for new spells in HU?

Unread post by Yukon »

Been a while since I have posted here, though I have been lurking occasionally the last 6 months to a year.

Anyway, I have been running a regular Heroes Unlimited game with my son and some of his friends for a while now.
I picked up a few new books here and there. As Heroes Unlimited releases are slow to nonexistent, I have looked to the other game lines for more resources.
In that vein, I ask your opinions on what may be the best resource to look for to find new spells for use in Heroes Unlimited.
I don't think MDC to SDC conversion would be a problem, as a point to point translation is usually best in regards to damage, etc.
I was looking at buying Rifts Book of Magic, but was not sure if a Palladium fantasy, Beyond the Supernatural, or even Nightbane may have a resource that would work better.
I am mostly wanting more quantity, but if there are any other factors that anyone else is aware of in the books you suggest, that information would be appreciated as well.
I should try to search for any fan made spell lists on the forum too, but I do want an official book as well.
I will also mention I have the GM's guide, HU2, all three PU books, Armageddon Unlimited, and AU & AU:GG.
Thanks.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Best book (any line) for new spells in HU?

Unread post by ITWastrel »

https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... Magic.html

The big book of magic, more spells and items than you can shake a magic stick* at.

*Book Includes detailed descriptions of many magic sticks
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ITWastrel wrote:https://palladium-store.com/1001/product/848-Rifts-Book-of-Magic.html

The big book of magic, more spells and items than you can shake a magic stick* at.

*Book Includes detailed descriptions of many magic sticks

*waves the Stick of Atlantis around in the air*
The Mysteries of Magic & library of beltharid PF gamebooks. With these there is a bonus...you don't have to make any conversions.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Also Through The Glass Darkly for Nightbane has some interesting spells as well as guidelines for creating your own.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Book of Magic has the largest number of spells, even taking into account those repeated in HU sources. Nothing else really comes close in terms of quantity. Statements about converting from M.D.C. are largely a false dilemma which can be disregarded, in that multiple sources detail it as replacing M. with an S.. There are several additional sources of spells, many of which focus on one variety. In addition to those previously listed one might check out DB12's Demon Magic, DB13's Space Magic, WB35's Soulmancy, and those Rifters with "official" stuff like expansions to Necromancy and the new disciplines of Star Magic, Frost Magic, and Pyromancy.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Thank you all for the replies. I was looking for one book I could buy at least to start with. Thanks, I thought Rifts Book of Magic might be best, but was not sure if other books may have close to the same amount or be a better choice for another reason. I am still open to ideas or suggestions, since I'll probably wait a bit yet before buying another book.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Rifts Book of Magic is a must-have if you are playing a mage-heavy game. Personally my players tend not to play mages or psionics due to the aspect of tracking points.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Yeah, my players were not enthused about the magic system, but I do have one that uses a mystic study character and I would like to give him some more choices, as well as my couple NPC's. Especially the mentor and others in the organization. I am hoping that with more spell choices, it will open up the potential for other magic using power categories or even give me ideas for magic weapon abilities. I think other options like tattoo magic and other specialties to uhh... specialize in would be fun.
For NPC's I like to combine PowCats, like I have a Ancient Master that is a dragon, and might have her use Tattoo magic as well. (a female "Master Roshi" type)
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”