Amethyst Abilities in Gem Powers.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Amethyst Abilities in Gem Powers.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'm writing up an NPC to use in a future campaign who has amethyst Powers, namely Matter Expulsion: Crystal and psionics. I am basing the psionics on abilities listed for the amethyst stone under the Gem Powers superability. It lists the abilities given as detect psionics, hypnotic suggestion, and meditation. I found detect psionics as a minor psionic ability, but hypnotic suggestion is a super psionic and I found nothing in psionics for meditation.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Amethyst Abilities in Gem Powers.

Unread post by Kraynic »

In Fantasy, Meditation/Trance is a specific skill for recovering I.S.P. without needing to sleep, meaning that a minor or major psion (any psion who is not a Mind Mage actually) might not know how to meditate. With HU, it became an ability that all Psionic characters have and it is just part of the section on recovering I.S.P. on page 293 of the HU2 book. 6 I.S.P. per hour of meditation (double the rate of recovery while sleeping).
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

So give her more psionics. Got it. No sense being able to recover ISP if you're not making use of it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sometime you just need to cool down from the heist and the use of the Gem to meditate to bring your bio-rhythms back into resting ranges might prove useful. (Like after out of the their super suit and is now leaving the area by blending into the crowd.) And using the gem power to meditate could possibly let the char pass a polygraph test if you allow them to meditate in a wakeful state like with the MC meditation.

I believe in the RMB, meditation is listed as a Psi power and HU2 was written after the RMB and there are many Rifts influenced texts in the HU2 core book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I am thinking about giving her Gem Powers rather than make her have a Major power and 1d4+1 psionic abilities because it seems to be the better deal. Just not sure which I want to do to stay true to my character concept.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sometime you just need to cool down from the heist and the use of the Gem to meditate to bring your bio-rhythms back into resting ranges might prove useful. (Like after out of the their super suit and is now leaving the area by blending into the crowd.) And using the gem power to meditate could possibly let the char pass a polygraph test if you allow them to meditate in a wakeful state like with the MC meditation.

I believe in the RMB, meditation is listed as a Psi power and HU2 was written after the RMB and there are many Rifts influenced texts in the HU2 core book.
It was confusing the way Psionics is laid out on the HU2 main book because you would think that the category listing would have the free ability of meditation right there where you can find it, not in the back of the book.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Personally I would just give a HU2 Psychic the meditation skill. If not via a skill program then by fiat at char creation. Even if it is just a 'shut out the noise so I can rest" type of med.

(working in the HU is set up so GMs & Players should modify things a little bit....)

Just thought up an option: That the char has both psi and gem powers.....but only the amethyst powers. If the char uses her IS points to power the psionics then the gem is not broken down with use. but if she is out of IS points she could still use the powers till the gem broke down. The kicker would be that she has to use an amethyst like a magical focus, and without it she ether can't use the powers or they are cut back by +50%.

Or another option would be that she would store her IS points in an amethyst gem and use the gem like a Psionic device to use powers. You would have to be careful in writing out how many amethyst gems the char can empower at once. And with this one without the gem she wouldn't have any abilities....or they are 1/10th their normal str.

side-note: never did like the idea that gem powers (super ability or stone master) degenerate the gem into unusable dust.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Well, the book says meditation is automatically given when a character is a psychic, latent or full. Just with the 1d4+1 minor psionics I would not get the Super Psionic ability of Hypnotic Suggestion. I will have to figure out what to give the character instead that might be similar.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Well, the book says meditation is automatically given when a character is a psychic, latent or full. Just with the 1d4+1 minor psionics I would not get the Super Psionic ability of Hypnotic Suggestion. I will have to figure out what to give the character instead that might be similar.

Telepathy almost fits: if you were going to use Hypnotic Suggestion to get someone to tell you stuff, this can do that (and, since it guides off their surface thoughts, you’d maybe need to make remarks that’d get them thinking about the answer, which dovetails pretty well with needing to subtly work the suggestion into a comment); and, if you start musing aloud about what it would take for them to calm down and relax, you can just sort of realize what that’d be.

So you’re not the guy who has some special knack for getting people to accept a bribe, but you’re the guy who can figure out what bribe they’d accept; and you can’t command someone to divulge a blackmailable secret by suggesting they blurt it out during a conversation, but you can effectively get them to reveal it over the course of that conversation by generally discussing that sort of thing; and so on, and so on.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Regularguy wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Well, the book says meditation is automatically given when a character is a psychic, latent or full. Just with the 1d4+1 minor psionics I would not get the Super Psionic ability of Hypnotic Suggestion. I will have to figure out what to give the character instead that might be similar.

Telepathy almost fits: if you were going to use Hypnotic Suggestion to get someone to tell you stuff, this can do that (and, since it guides off their surface thoughts, you’d maybe need to make remarks that’d get them thinking about the answer, which dovetails pretty well with needing to subtly work the suggestion into a comment); and, if you start musing aloud about what it would take for them to calm down and relax, you can just sort of realize what that’d be.

So you’re not the guy who has some special knack for getting people to accept a bribe, but you’re the guy who can figure out what bribe they’d accept; and you can’t command someone to divulge a blackmailable secret by suggesting they blurt it out during a conversation, but you can effectively get them to reveal it over the course of that conversation by generally discussing that sort of thing; and so on, and so on.
Yeah, I was thinking of telepathy. It seems to be common among mutants who have psionics anyhow, if certain comic books are to be used as a guideline.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”