Are there any powers which let you create a costume?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Are there any powers which let you create a costume?

Unread post by Cyber-Knight »

I’d like to have a character with the power to create a costume from thin air. The way Thor, Wonder Woman, or Firestar can instantly appear in costume. What are my options, other than having an armored appearance from Bio-Armor or similar?
MIAMI, FL: Player Looking For a Game.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Are there any powers which let you create a costume?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Nightspawn crossover.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Cyber-Knight wrote:I’d like to have a character with the power to create a costume from thin air. The way Thor, Wonder Woman, or Firestar can instantly appear in costume. What are my options, other than having an armored appearance from Bio-Armor or similar?

Take a look at Powers Unlimited 1 page 33, Instant Wardrobe.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

The categories of Magic Weapon and Mystically Bestowed from the main book, and Empowered from PU2 are also options.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Any of the APS powers can form your look though not technically a costume.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I do know that there is a spell for that in the 'Invented Spells' topic.
I should know. I wrote it up and put it there. 0:-)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Holographic Memory Projection includes the minor perk of creating a ‘disguise’ illusion around oneself: it’s obviously a hologram if seen up close, which means you need to keep your distance if you want to fool someone after generating an insta-cop uniform or an insta-robot look or whatever; but if you’re not actually trying to fool anybody, if you just want ‘a superhero costume’ to appear but don’t care whether folks realize it’s a side effect of your powers? Yeah, that’s on tap.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

The mystically bestowed class
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Matter Expulsion would also work.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Shadow Cloak.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

My character had a paramour with the polymorph and technoform power who would be her outfits or weapons or vehicles. he was a complete tool. Lately i've replaced that pair with a character with the illusion power. Doesnt matter if anyone believes its real. Its what they see one way or the other. Disbelieving it doesnt make it disappear.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Also depending on how you wanna play the Shapechanger power they could (in theory) have a ton of costume options, but they may need "resist cold".

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

There is also a minor power in the invented super power topic in this forum that lets the super to create their own clothes.

will re-post it here.
Spoiler:
Create Force Clothing--this minor power creates clothing force constructs about the hero. The shape of the clothing is only limited to the hero's imagination. However, sometimes things don't work out. But the hero can have one set pattern per level, of clothing that they have practiced in making and can always make. Can be used to create armor but it dose create a full body field, but it looks like armor of some type, with a nat AR 4. Making a set of clothes takes two actions, but if the hero already has a set made the actions just morphs the set they have into what they are trying for, but when changing between clothes and armor, the currant set of clothes (or armor), the clothes or armor evaporates leaving the hero w/o any protection showing off what is underneath. this lasts for about 2 seconds or one attack.

Create FC clothing creation skill: 45+5...a failed roll means the clothing dose not look the way the hero wants it to. having a full length mirror available while making/changing the clothing adds 30% to the skill roll, and the fashion skill adds 10%
range: self
duration: constant
SDC-- PE x Level=SDC
Armor AR: Natural AR 4
SDC recovery-- renews sdc while sleeps a full nights sleep (a full 8 hours of sleep, if only gets 6 hours then only 1/2 the damaged sdc gets recovered)
Limitations: It takes up one attack & -2 init to maintain the armor, but no penalties to maintain clothing.
Note: in rifts the SDC is converted to MDC.

((The duration means that the super dosen't have to worry about their 'clothing' dissapering at the end of a duration. And that the super doesn't have to turn it off to change what their clothes look like. However, because it is a power, the super can turn it off and just wear physical clothes.
-If asked 'Could spandexy yoga clothes (and the like) can be worn under the clothes as if they were just wearing just underthings?', I would say yes))

This is the spell I created, that I mentioned earlier.
Spoiler:
Super Suit
Level: 7 invocation
Range: self and one other 5'/L or two others by touch.
Duration: One hour per level of caster.
Saving Throw: none for mundane cloth, standard for magical cloth.
P.P.E.: 25

This spell is the savior of many Super Heroes who have gotten caught away from their hero costume (their super suit). Transforming the clothing the hero is wearing into that hero's crime fighting outfit. The crime fighting outfit takes whatever damage it normally would take, but when the magic ends the clothing turns back into the clothing they were before being transformed with the damage done to it while it was a super suit.
The spell can be cast upon a group of people by drawing out a circle and casting the spell as a ritual that takes 3 minutes to cast, costing 40 PPE total, but only lasting 10 minutes per level of the caster.

This spell can be used to transform a hero's super suit into street clothing that is normally worn by the person. The mage can choose to override the magic and choose what style the clothes are changed into.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Cyber-Knight wrote:I’d like to have a character with the power to create a costume from thin air. The way Thor, Wonder Woman, or Firestar can instantly appear in costume. What are my options, other than having an armored appearance from Bio-Armor or similar?

How about wearing a skintight ‘superhero’ costume — twenty pounds or less of it — under a suit and tie or whatever? So you’d just switch on the intangibility power and there you’d be, in full costume, like magic.
weirdguy564
D-Bee

Unread post by weirdguy564 »

As others have said most of the Mystic heroes have that ability. The magic item, magic weapon, or mystically bestowed powers classes do exactly that. You call upon the power of your trinket, your weapon, or your magic word of power, and there is a dramatic transformation of your player character to be some other guy, bigger, impressive, costume and all.

I could even say my latest Robot hero character is like that. I have an exoframe that I designed with a couple of rules tweaks to allow my power armor to essentially be a transformable motorcycle. You can ride around on it as a racer bullet bike as a guy slightly odd looking leather riding outfit and helmet. Then you push a button and the bike's front hood becomes your chestplate, the gas tank splits in two and become the upper thigh armor, the radiator and engine fairing become the lower leg armor, the extended seat and rear fender become the back plate, the forks become the arm armor, and the wheels wind up on your biceps as arm armor extensions like wearing two round sheilds strapped to your upper arms (tires deflate so much they go inside out, get sucked inside the soiid billet wheel rims, which then shut together).

You could say that guy has a costume change that comes out of nowhere.

Or you could just go another route and invent your own minor super power of costume/identity switch. No stats change, but your civilian guy activates that power, a flash of light happense and he is a totally different physical appearance and wearing a different set of clothes. I don't think it needs any other bonuses since a identity change like is a form of stealth, such as going into an alley where nobody can see you, and then come out again as somebody else. Your enemies would lose track of you most likely.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

There is a minor super ability in one of the PU books called Mask, it lets you instantly make a costume.
IF it gets damaged you can dismiss and recreate it.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I really needed to relook at that based on the name, "Mask - No Face, no Identity" and a quick reading I just thought it... well created a mask, but yeah, based on the other details in the description it seems like it does a full costume.

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Daniel Stoker wrote:I really needed to relook at that based on the name, "Mask - No Face, no Identity" and a quick reading I just thought it... well created a mask, but yeah, based on the other details in the description it seems like it does a full costume.

Daniel Stoker

I have the 1st printing of PU1 and it only says it transforms the face into a blank/costumed mask, and removes identifying features. It mentions in specific of removing finger prints and tattoos.

This minor power could be used as a benchmark for the creation of (or mod'ed to create) a creation a custom power that does give the char a full hero outfit.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

My copy says, "Furthermore the character has no finger or footprints, nor any distinguishing birthmarks, and if the character has tattoos and scars, they too disappear when this power of disguise is used." so it does SOMETHING to the rest of the body, not just the face.

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:... and removes identifying features.

Daniel Stoker wrote:My copy says, "Furthermore the character has no finger or footprints, nor any distinguishing birthmarks, and if the character has tattoos and scars, they too disappear when this power of disguise is used." so it does SOMETHING to the rest of the body, not just the face.

That is what I said without paraphrasing.

What the text Doesn't say that it gives a full Hero Costume. Which is what I was pointing out, opposed to your...
Daniel Stoker wrote:.... it seems like it does a full costume.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Daniel Stoker wrote:My copy says, "Furthermore the character has no finger or footprints, nor any distinguishing birthmarks, and if the character has tattoos and scars, they too disappear when this power of disguise is used." so it does SOMETHING to the rest of the body, not just the face.

Daniel Stoker
It renders the character unidentifiable by smoothing out their features. They don't look like they are wearing a costume. Iczer created an instant costume power in the New Powers thread. This is the wiki page for it. http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Outfit
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:... and removes identifying features.

That is what I said without paraphrasing.

What the text Doesn't say that it gives a full Hero Costume. Which is what I was pointing out, opposed to your...
Daniel Stoker wrote:.... it seems like it does a full costume.

Yes I know you paraphrased, I posted the whole thing to help explain why I thought maybe it did create a whole costume as it talks about "removing identifying features" well beyond just the face. Seems like = / = It does, and with how terribly so much of Palladium's stuff is written, who knows.

Daniel Stoker

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”