Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kelfeini
Newb

Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

Unread post by kelfeini »

So I was debating picking up Armageddon Unlimited to use in my home game of Heroes Unlimited, and have begun to weave in a few plot elements in preparation to use the book material, when I had a thought. The thought came to me mainly because of the way I was foreshadowing the AU plot approaching, but it reminded me of the Dark Day event in Nightbane, and I wondered: how well would a Heroes Unlimited crew do in the Nightbane world?

Has anyone else tried crossing these two. I don't intend on introducing the Nightbane themselves, but rather having the super heroes be the resistance against the dominion of the Nightlords. While I currently lack a copy of Nightbane (time to buy a copy, I think), I've played a lot of it earlier in the century and enjoyed the challenge level. It feels on the surface like a good plot to use, can anyone see a distinct flaw or problem with the idea?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I used it in the past and had some fun games with it but I also did it where the game started on Dark Day and the heroes were trying to deal with that, and then the aftermath as the heroes became the scapegoats.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

If you are thinking of using Century Station we had a discussion about it and Glistam created a Nightlands place called Grim Gulf.

This is the only way I actually use Nighlands. I think it works great with heroes unlimited characters.

Are you going to use Nightbanes in your games? If you do I would suggest you limit the number of talents and characteristics and use Heroes Unlimited skill programs.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I love peppering in elements of pre-darkday Nightbane as a plot for heroes to eventually uncover, and ideally use to learn about and stop Darkday. I've never had the players fail to stop Darkday so I haven't ever taken it to the level of the combined post-Darkday setting as described in Between the Shadows. I like to have two or three heroes/villains/vigilantes as Nightbane around in the world: a Ken/Barbie Nightbane, a mechanical "super suit" Nightbane, and a lycanthrope Nightbane. If I let a player be a Nightbane, their morphus needs to be something that "fits" in a hero world or at least meshes with the tone the other players want.

I had a Nightbane player in the first campaign where I did this plot, and that's when I developed Grim Gulf. The second campaign where I ran this plot I was able to tie key villains and characters into the backstories and motivations of several players, which was a lot of fun. I also introduced a modern day church/cult called the Church of Reflections that was actively working towards causing Darkday during a solar eclipse.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Here's an old topic where someone else had a similar question, they may have some insight: https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155282&p=2989698

A lot of opinions in this topic from over a decade ago on how a Dark Day invasion against a Heroes Unlimited world would go: https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99200

Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

I saw this and had to steal for a heroes campaign which will also contain crossover elements from various tv series. Will use HU version of Nightbane.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

kelfeini wrote:So I was debating picking up Armageddon Unlimited to use in my home game of Heroes Unlimited, and have begun to weave in a few plot elements in preparation to use the book material, when I had a thought. The thought came to me mainly because of the way I was foreshadowing the AU plot approaching, but it reminded me of the Dark Day event in Nightbane, and I wondered: how well would a Heroes Unlimited crew do in the Nightbane world?

Has anyone else tried crossing these two. I don't intend on introducing the Nightbane themselves, but rather having the super heroes be the resistance against the dominion of the Nightlords. While I currently lack a copy of Nightbane (time to buy a copy, I think), I've played a lot of it earlier in the century and enjoyed the challenge level. It feels on the surface like a good plot to use, can anyone see a distinct flaw or problem with the idea?

We did something similar. We assigned PPE cost to each power, and treated them like Nightbane talents. Each level the PC's go something like 25 PPE, and started with (I think) PEx10 PPE. Minors costed somewhere between 20-40 PPE to purchase and 1-10 PPE to activate. Majors costed 50+ PPE, and 5-20 PPE to activate. At 1st we feared it getting overpowered, even though most of the PC's had 1-3 minor powers and 1-2 major powers by 7th level it never really became unbalancing.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I vaguely remember a Rifter story about some EE:Fire mutant who became a Priest of Night... ring a bell?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

All my PB are belong to Rifts.
I guess my base world is N&S/BtS
TMNT/AtB are experiments
Dark Day came and made NS who initially experienced DR as a vision where the forces of the Darkness were seen as zombies and all the strangeness of Nightspawn was seen as normal humans. The come out of that into Nightspawn.
Dark Day also cause the creation of superheroes and happened on Y2K bringing in the bugs from System Failure. So the day also had a black out.
Eventually the two dimensions separate but instead of separating as two seperate worlds it tears reality into Splicers, Robotech, and CE which goes into Rifts, and they are all closely linked with leakage between them and the Darkworld peeling off from them like a sticker with super tacky adhesive and the Astral Plane is that adhesive. Palladium is another dimension like the Darkworld that is out there somewhere and eventually through Hades and Dyval get connected to Rifts and back through time to Darkday. Mechanoids is also a dimension like Darkworld and Palladium, but in a different orbit.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Zer0 Kay wrote:All my PB are belong to Rifts.

What is PB?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

go to the site front page and look about.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Rogerd wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:All my PB are belong to Rifts.

What is PB?

Palladium Books.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”