Eugenics and Magic

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Eugenics and Magic

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

So this is a simple-ish question, the Eugenic's category allows you to buy psionic powers in different categories and I'm trying to decide if I should allow a player who wants a more 'mystical' character to do the same thing, but with spell casing ability. I'm looking at limiting it to them only learning a certain set of spells (say levels 1-4 then get one more per level), but I wanted to tap into the hivemind here and see what others thought about the idea. Good idea, bad idea, taco idea?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Eugenics and Magic

Unread post by jaymz »

Go for it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well figured you'd think it's ok. :p

Daniel Stoker
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

i don't see this happening myself, BUT if you had an appropriate reason like say....we fused a basilisk head to the creature, or something, I could let it slide.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Daniel Stoker wrote:So this is a simple-ish question, the Eugenic's category allows you to buy psionic powers in different categories and I'm trying to decide if I should allow a player who wants a more 'mystical' character to do the same thing, but with spell casing ability. I'm looking at limiting it to them only learning a certain set of spells (say levels 1-4 then get one more per level), but I wanted to tap into the hivemind here and see what others thought about the idea. Good idea, bad idea, taco idea?

Daniel Stoker

I would say...Kind of? Creatures of Magic as biological creatures with some magic/spellcasting in their DNA is a thing, but it seems Eugenics hasn't quite cracked that code.

I'd honestly say no myself, unless they're supposed to be a half dragon thing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well the character is part of an ancient race serpent people.... so technically almost yes? :p

Daniel Stoker
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

It would depend on the 'special effects' too.
If you replace "Eugenics" with "bio-alchemy" and say that its some sort of 'biomancy' that 'magically alters their life code'...
...the effect is the same, the source is different and instead of psionics you would generate magic.

Aka why should the scientist have all the fun?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

eliakon wrote:It would depend on the 'special effects' too.
If you replace "Eugenics" with "bio-alchemy" and say that its some sort of 'biomancy' that 'magically alters their life code'...
...the effect is the same, the source is different and instead of psionics you would generate magic.

Aka why should the scientist have all the fun?

I'm down with that.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've never used a magic version of Eugenics like you are discussing, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. What I have done is use Nightbane in place of a sort of mystic eugenics class. Basically, humans bred for special abilities to fight the supernatural. So Eugenics background, Nightbane stats if you follow. Just food for thought.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Daniel Stoker
Knight

That could work too.

Daniel Stoker
RockJock
Knight

Same sort of idea of a magically bred super soldier would work for a supernatural slayer type. I think one of the Nightbane books actually had something like this?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'm good with the idea.
Splicing genes from a. magic creature or individual won't make you Merlin, but it might make you more receptive on a cellular level to magic energies and effects, and also make you more vulnerable to certain magic problems.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

taalismn wrote:I'm good with the idea.
Splicing genes from a. magic creature or individual won't make you Merlin, but it might make you more receptive on a cellular level to magic energies and effects, and also make you more vulnerable to certain magic problems.

agreed, you might get supernatural effects, like petrification or something, but not necessarily a spellcaster
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

It's suggestive to me of DC Comics' homo magi, being a naturally magically adept subspecies of humanity. If a HU Splicer (The E-word being both inaccurate and inappropriate for a power category) gets, say, a grafted pituitary from a child mystic in order to access a spell or two, I think that's fairly evocative.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I agree with taalismn, that IF it was possible, it would only give the recipient a single CoM's 'natural ability'. Yes, it would also be limited to just powers from CoMs (declared or undeclared [undeclared being those races that have the abilities and powers of CoM, but are not specifically said to be CoM.])
However, I would also limit these eugenic chars from cultures/societies/polities that are inherently magic in nature (like the UWW).

If I was the GM, I would have the Player draw up rules to follow to make such CoM ability enhanced chars. To see how they would go about making things balanced. (Limited while also accessable.)
What costs limit the character build? Perm PPE burn off like with the BTS1 Psi's, Bio-E costs like from TMNT/HU/Splicers, or monetary costs with credits/dollars.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I agree with the other who have said that if you allow it it should be limited to abilities and not spellcasting per se.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking of allowing a splice of some sort to be done and bam, you know Globe of Daylight and Blinding Flash, but that more that it would convey you the ability to learn (limited) magic. Granted it ends up they get those spells, but storywise it wouldn't be that fast.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Daniel Stoker wrote:Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking of allowing a splice of some sort to be done and bam, you know Globe of Daylight and Blinding Flash, but that more that it would convey you the ability to learn (limited) magic. Granted it ends up they get those spells, but storywise it wouldn't be that fast.

Daniel Stoker
So you're thinking more of something that allows them to dual class as a mage? I'm not seeing why there is a necessity to make it something Eugenics based when there are already categories which allow you to have powers and spells.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Wouldn't a "magic eugenics" character just be a bioborg (like the ones made by the Splugorth)?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:So you're thinking more of something that allows them to dual class as a mage? I'm not seeing why there is a necessity to make it something Eugenics based when there are already categories which allow you to have powers and spells.

Nah, the character wouldn't be a full caster with all the bells and whistles you get in HU and also really no more then they're ALREADY a dual class with all the psionics they can buy.

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dreicunan wrote:Wouldn't a "magic eugenics" character just be a bioborg (like the ones made by the Splugorth)?

Nope, bioborgs, and other bio-wisardry things already in the books, would fall in the bionics or super soldier power cats.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:So you're thinking more of something that allows them to dual class as a mage? I'm not seeing why there is a necessity to make it something Eugenics based when there are already categories which allow you to have powers and spells.

Nah, the character wouldn't be a full caster with all the bells and whistles you get in HU and also really no more then they're ALREADY a dual class with all the psionics they can buy.

Daniel Stoker
You have a point. Immortals already get a lot and can be considered dual class, so why not Eugenics? I guess it comes down to how limited you make it whether it is balanced or not.
dreicunan
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
dreicunan wrote:Wouldn't a "magic eugenics" character just be a bioborg (like the ones made by the Splugorth)?

Nope, bioborgs, and other bio-wisardry things already in the books, would fall in the bionics or super soldier power cats.

An error on my part, as I should have written "essentially" in there. I was planning to suggest that one could look to those rules as inspiration for a "magic eugenics" character, hit submit instead of save when I had to stop writing it to attend to something else, then forgot to come back and finish it.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:You have a point. Immortals already get a lot and can be considered dual class, so why not Eugenics? I guess it comes down to how limited you make it whether it is balanced or not.

Yeah, I'm not going to let them get that many spells, and I figure the cost will be close to or more then what you need for the Psionics if I do go with it. Sadly the games been put on hold because our D&D game is running longer then we thought it would. Which is good for me, it gives me more time. ;)

Daniel Stoker
RockJock
Knight

This seems like you are looking more towards a Goblin Cobbler, or the limited spell casting of the Danzi from PF.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Which book is the Danzi in?

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Library of Belthariad
Eastern Ter.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreicunan
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Library of Belthariad

Bletherad doesn't have the info. It is Eastern Territory p. 25-37.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Thanks, I'll look them up for inspiration.

Daniel Stoker
RockJock
Knight

Basically a race with a few minor magic abilities/spells built in.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Danzi and Cobblers are both Faerie folk stripped of immortality and with their natural magic limited, FYI.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

You could almost look at magic like the force - it is essentially the same in many respects. Anakin lost force ability due to losing body parts. in the same way that the Asgard in Stargate could not ascend due to genetic tinkering.

In fact there is a mechanic in the Alpha Omega RPG which could easily be an alternate Earth and part of Palladium multiverse very easily. What they have is something called Impurity which relates to alteration whether genetic engineering, cybernetics etc. It also has an opposing mechanic called Evolutionary which allows the player to buy evolutionary improvements.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

I agree with most everyone. My first thought was no. But, then reading on, it made sense that using parts or DNA or whatever from magical creatures to give access to a handful of spells or magic abilities. The numbers for ISP from the psionic options might not be bad to use as a point for point base of PPE. Lesser psionics bought might give you equivalent numbers of spells (lower level 1 or 1-3 or so). The options giving a Super Psionic or two might give a spell or two up to 5th level or thereabouts. Just as a first thought.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Sadly the game got waylaid due to Covid 19 and half the group not being able to make the sessions, but I'm still plotting this character. Some day!!!

Daniel Stoker

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”