Questions about the Nightbane Survival Guide?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: Questions about the Nightbane Survival Guide?

Unread post by Warwolf »

BillionSix wrote:
Marcethus wrote:Oh Gods I so do not want the answer to the Origins of the Nightbane. I prefer it to be left mysterious.

Dude, everyone knows their origins. They're aliens from the planet Zeist.

8-)

Brian

So, what you're saying is that you're an agent with the Spook Squad? :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

A new Nightbane book? Have I been gone that long? Last time I was here I heard that they would never put out another Nightbane book and I said I wouldn't buy any more palladium unless it was Nightbane. When can I get this?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Warwolf wrote:
BillionSix wrote:
Marcethus wrote:Oh Gods I so do not want the answer to the Origins of the Nightbane. I prefer it to be left mysterious.

Dude, everyone knows their origins. They're aliens from the planet Zeist.

8-)

Brian

So, what you're saying is that you're an agent with the Spook Squad? :lol:
No, but he's played by Michael Ironside.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Specter wrote:A new Nightbane book? Have I been gone that long? Last time I was here I heard that they would never put out another Nightbane book and I said I wouldn't buy any more palladium unless it was Nightbane. When can I get this?

Apparently you have been gone that long. Kevin has been wanting more Nightbane material but couldn't find good, reliable writers for the series. Perhaps he still hasn't ( :P ) but he was confident enough in us that he published our book. As to when you can get it... right now!

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2 ... ry_Code=JR
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Bought it. Like the education tables, and complete random rolling. Liked the rules for designing a Nighbane to make sense to their personality. More reading from the survival guide would have been really nice.

Would have been nice to see some new morphus tables.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'm still reading mine, and I'm liking what's there so far. Lost of good stuff.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Specter wrote:Bought it. Like the education tables, and complete random rolling. Liked the rules for designing a Nighbane to make sense to their personality. More reading from the survival guide would have been really nice.

I posted this in another thread, but in case you don't catch it there: there is new material in the Morphus tables and a couple completely new ones. The thing was, I felt the writers of the Rifter articles did a good job on a number of tables and didn't want to retread the ground they'd walked on. Since (at the time) the Rifter material was getting harder and harder to get, and I wanted new fans to be able to enjoy those tables, I decided to try and tweak them and make them canon. Then, Kev put his own spin on them, so they're fairly different from the source material.

Anywho, if you're wanting new Morphus stuff, keep an eye out for one of my next projects, "Dark Designs." Any Morphus stuff in there will be ALL original unless Kevin decides to reprint something in it... That is, if Kev accepts the manuscript for print once I get it done. :)
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Was wondering why you did not allow the "College Graduate" take at least First Aid as a normal skill? It only allows it as a vocation related skill.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Was wondering why you did not allow the "College Graduate" take at least First Aid as a normal skill? It only allows it as a vocation related skill.

Kev made changes to that section that at least a couple people have voiced displeasure over, and that would be one of them.

In our manuscript, both the Associates Degree and Bachelor's Degree education level could select First Aid as an E.C.C. (Educational Character Class) skill. In fact, the Bachelor's-level character even got a +10% bonus to that skill.

I would advocate that if any of the skill restrictions don't make sense to individual G.M.s, then ignore them. That's what I've always done. :)
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

a player of mine created a Nightbane using the new rules in the NSG. she rolled one exceptional attribute, her PB and ended up with a 21, the other attributes being average. out of that she made the story of a young woman who is studying literature and uses her good looks to pay the rent by doing some modeling. her player chose skills according to the new College Graduate with a bachelor's degree. because this skill programme lists only one Rogue skill (that is Netwise) she wasnt able to pick Seduction - which she (and I) found quite fitting for her concept - as related or secondary skill. Of course, the GM can overrule the rulesbook, but my question to the authors is: did you realize that a Trucker or Soldier can pick Seduction while a College Graduate cant?? [just listed a few programms in that example, but the problem occurs with a lot more).
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Vidynn wrote:a player of mine created a Nightbane using the new rules in the NSG. she rolled one exceptional attribute, her PB and ended up with a 21, the other attributes being average. out of that she made the story of a young woman who is studying literature and uses her good looks to pay the rent by doing some modeling. her player chose skills according to the new College Graduate with a bachelor's degree. because this skill programme lists only one Rogue skill (that is Netwise) she wasnt able to pick Seduction - which she (and I) found quite fitting for her concept - as related or secondary skill. Of course, the GM can overrule the rulesbook, but my question to the authors is: did you realize that a Trucker or Soldier can pick Seduction while a College Graduate cant?? [just listed a few programms in that example, but the problem occurs with a lot more).

See my last post before this one. Kev made changes to my original skill lists that seem to have caused more than a couple people to furrow their brow... :-?
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
Vidynn wrote:a player of mine created a Nightbane using the new rules in the NSG. she rolled one exceptional attribute, her PB and ended up with a 21, the other attributes being average. out of that she made the story of a young woman who is studying literature and uses her good looks to pay the rent by doing some modeling. her player chose skills according to the new College Graduate with a bachelor's degree. because this skill programme lists only one Rogue skill (that is Netwise) she wasnt able to pick Seduction - which she (and I) found quite fitting for her concept - as related or secondary skill. Of course, the GM can overrule the rulesbook, but my question to the authors is: did you realize that a Trucker or Soldier can pick Seduction while a College Graduate cant?? [just listed a few programms in that example, but the problem occurs with a lot more).
See my last post before this one. Kev made changes to my original skill lists that seem to have caused more than a couple people to furrow their brow... :-?
It's a poor writer who blames his editor. :P
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

I only blame my editor when the editing is what causes the problem. If I screw something up (like Kafka's nationality), I own up to my mistake. :)
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Warwolf wrote:
I only blame my editor when the editing is what causes the problem. If I screw something up (like Kafka's nationality), I own up to my mistake. :)
So you need an editor and a fact-checker! :P
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Misfit KotLD wrote:So you need an editor and a fact-checker! :P

Sounds to me like you just volunteered to be the latter... :D
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:So you need an editor and a fact-checker! :P
Sounds to me like you just volunteered to be the latter... :D
Only if I get credit. :D
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Warwolf wrote:I only blame my editor when the editing is what causes the problem. If I screw something up (like Kafka's nationality), I own up to my mistake. :)

who's responsible for placing Czernobyl in Russia, by the way? :D
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Only if I get credit.

I would give you credit, but I don't think "fact-checker" has a place on the credits page...

Vidynn wrote:
Warwolf wrote:I only blame my editor when the editing is what causes the problem. If I screw something up (like Kafka's nationality), I own up to my mistake. :)

I wasn't going to tip my hand when you first brought it up, but since your curiosity persists I'll let this slip. That would be me, but contrary to what you might think that one wasn't exactly a mistake...

Remember, this is Nightbane Earth, a planet with a divergent time-line. In other words, you picked up on a little breadcrumb I dropped about my ideas for future material on Europe/Asia.

The "Great Bear" is out of hibernation... :demon:
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Warwolf wrote:
Specter wrote:Bought it. Like the education tables, and complete random rolling. Liked the rules for designing a Nighbane to make sense to their personality. More reading from the survival guide would have been really nice.

I posted this in another thread, but in case you don't catch it there: there is new material in the Morphus tables and a couple completely new ones. The thing was, I felt the writers of the Rifter articles did a good job on a number of tables and didn't want to retread the ground they'd walked on. Since (at the time) the Rifter material was getting harder and harder to get, and I wanted new fans to be able to enjoy those tables, I decided to try and tweak them and make them canon. Then, Kev put his own spin on them, so they're fairly different from the source material.

Anywho, if you're wanting new Morphus stuff, keep an eye out for one of my next projects, "Dark Designs." Any Morphus stuff in there will be ALL original unless Kevin decides to reprint something in it... That is, if Kev accepts the manuscript for print once I get it done. :)

A Book all about Morphus Tables. It must include all the Rifter Tables to be complet.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mad Cow Milk »

Warwolf wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Only if I get credit.

I would give you credit, but I don't think "fact-checker" has a place on the credits page...

Vidynn wrote:

I wasn't going to tip my hand when you first brought it up, but since your curiosity persists I'll let this slip. That would be me, but contrary to what you might think that one wasn't exactly a mistake...

Remember, this is Nightbane Earth, a planet with a divergent time-line. In other words, you picked up on a little breadcrumb I dropped about my ideas for future material on Europe/Asia.

The "Great Bear" is out of hibernation... :demon:

Who decided on some of the negatives? They seem a bit over done at times. Did you guys really not like dragons?

That said, could we please get the dragon table made cannon?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Mad Cow Milk wrote:Who decided on some of the negatives? They seem a bit over done at times. Did you guys really not like dragons?

I would have to say that the majority of the negatives were put in during editing, though there were some left in from the Rifter material and some that I added. As far as the Dragon table from the Rifter, probably not (sorry, but my stint re-editing Rifter material for canon print is over and done with). There might be a couple similar features in a table I'm working on for Dark Designs (Mythic Creature), but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Warwolf wrote:
Mad Cow Milk wrote:Who decided on some of the negatives? They seem a bit over done at times. Did you guys really not like dragons?

I would have to say that the majority of the negatives were put in during editing, though there were some left in from the Rifter material and some that I added. As far as the Dragon table from the Rifter, probably not (sorry, but my stint re-editing Rifter material for canon print is over and done with). There might be a couple similar features in a table I'm working on for Dark Designs (Mythic Creature), but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Okay thanks. Please try to keep the negatives down a little.

P.S. Any reason why we couldn't have a super dexterous nightbane vs. a super strong one? The tables and starting stats don't support this, but I don't see any reason why not.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Mad Cow Milk wrote:Okay thanks. Please try to keep the negatives down a little.

P.S. Any reason why we couldn't have a super dexterous nightbane vs. a super strong one? The tables and starting stats don't support this, but I don't see any reason why not.

Once I give the manuscript to Palladium, it's literally and figuratively out of my hands. All I can say is that I will do my best to continue to write well-balanced and sensible material.

As far as strong vs. dextrous, that is easy enough to accomplish through the features. Hence, there is no reason you would need a separate base statline to do so (and it wouldn't make sense given the etiology of the 'Bane anyway).
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Warwolf wrote:...given the etiology of the 'Bane anyway).

dictionary.com wrote:e·ti·ol·o·gy   /ˌitiˈɒlədʒi/ Show Spelled
[ee-tee-ol-uh-jee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -gies.
1. Pathology .
a. the study of the causes of diseases.
b. the cause or origin of a disease.
2. the study of causation.
3. any study of causes, causation, or causality, as in philosophy, biology, or physics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/etiology+

Dude, your grad school is showing.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Warwolf wrote:
Mad Cow Milk wrote:Okay thanks. Please try to keep the negatives down a little.

Once I give the manuscript to Palladium, it's literally and figuratively out of my hands. All I can say is that I will do my best to continue to write well-balanced and sensible material.

As far as strong vs. dextrous, that is easy enough to accomplish through the features. Hence, there is no reason you would need a separate base statline to do so (and it wouldn't make sense given the etiology of the 'Bane anyway).

Why does a nightbane need to have a higher strength than prowess?

Do we maybe need to introduce supernatural physical prowess?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Maybe a new NB Characteristic or Two under Unearthy Beauty. Or more in general elsewhere.

Graceful : +1d4 PP, PB, MA, Spd. Sound Cool to me.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

TechnoGothic wrote:Maybe a new NB Characteristic or Two under Unearthy Beauty. Or more in general elsewhere.

Graceful : +1d4 PP, PB, MA, Spd. Sound Cool to me.

I just think that maybe some, like myself, might want a nightbane that is more prowess than strong. The way things are now, with all the bonuses in the majority of the traits and the starting bonuses, your nightbane is almost completely pre-disposed to be stronger than prowess.
Just a thought.

P.S. Maybe A dragon table rather than their dragon table would be more possible?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Mad Cow Milk wrote:Why does a nightbane need to have a higher strength than prowess?

It isn't that they NEED a higher strength than prowess (though it is certainly HELPFUL given the strength of the enemies they face), it's just the way C.J. designed them. It's like asking why Night Princes need illusory powers.

From a mechanics standpoint, a really high strength is less unbalancing than a really high prowess. Again, if you want a more dextrous Nightbane all you have to do is take some Morphus features that are geared toward that rather than strength.

As far as a dedicated dragon table, you simply won't be seeing one from me... sorry. I don't really think it's entirely necessary, though the Mythic Creature table in my manuscript will have options for a full or were-dragon Morphus (though who knows if they'll ultimately be printed).
Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Warwolf wrote:
Mad Cow Milk wrote:Why does a nightbane need to have a higher strength than prowess?

It isn't that they NEED a higher strength than prowess (though it is certainly HELPFUL given the strength of the enemies they face), it's just the way C.J. designed them. It's like asking why Night Princes need illusory powers.

From a mechanics standpoint, a really high strength is less unbalancing than a really high prowess. Again, if you want a more dextrous Nightbane all you have to do is take some Morphus features that are geared toward that rather than strength.

As far as a dedicated dragon table, you simply won't be seeing one from me... sorry. I don't really think it's entirely necessary, though the Mythic Creature table in my manuscript will have options for a full or were-dragon Morphus (though who knows if they'll ultimately be printed).

Great, look forward to seeing them.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Xar wrote:
Warwolf wrote:...given the etiology of the 'Bane anyway).

dictionary.com wrote:e·ti·ol·o·gy   /ˌitiˈɒlədʒi/ Show Spelled
[ee-tee-ol-uh-jee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -gies.
1. Pathology .
a. the study of the causes of diseases.
b. the cause or origin of a disease.
2. the study of causation.
3. any study of causes, causation, or causality, as in philosophy, biology, or physics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/etiology+

Dude, your grad school is showing.

Yeah... reading is getting kinda thick these days... sorry. I try to keep that monkey in his cage but I'm beginning to think he has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. And there I go again... :?
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

:lol:
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Return to “Nightbane®”