Dead Reign Zombies on Dark Day Earth! Would anyone survive?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Dead Reign Zombies on Dark Day Earth! Would anyone survive?

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Have a look at Rifter#40 's Dead Reign playable preview. Imagine the Wave hit Dark Day Earth and so the dead rise and eat. They show no fear(they are dead). They are beyond any reasoning,threats, or bribes. They ony eat. They are infectious. They are IMMUNE TO POWERS/SPELLS/PSIONICS of ANY KIND!!! Read the book "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It's awesome. Imagine the Nightlords' reactions to seeing a horde of beings that are NOT impressed with the Nightlord's Powers(IMMUNE). That cannot be controlled(IMMUNE). That become more numerous as the time passes. They will not care about factions. They cannot care about good or evil. They only eat. Even the Nightlords' Powers are useless(IMMUNE). None can survive. They are comming. They are eating. They are right outside the door. WAIT! I thought I heard the door open. I'll just see what is going o..................
*Edit: All contact lost. Please retry message*
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm.....Hounds with reapers..Zombie scything time...

I could see the Nightlords using it as a means of herding the surviving humans into controllable fiefdoms under their 'protection'....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am gonna have to see this to believe they are immune to all powers. Time to place an order.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

I doubt the zombies would be immune to the Nightlord's energy and matter manipulation abilities. And they are not immune to darkblades and supernatural P.S.
For the most part the Nightlords forces are more brute force, rather than magic-based.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
taalismn
Priest

Gotta go with him there....hordes of zombies would get EVERYBODY(that survived) in paranoid shoot-first, shoot-often, flamethrower-the-shadows mode...not conducive to the Nightlords' quiet take-over-and-massacre-the-mortals-like-livestock campaign...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Dead Reign Zombies on Dark Day Earth! Would anyone survi

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

GaredBattlespike wrote:Have a look at Rifter#40 's Dead Reign playable preview. Imagine the Wave hit Dark Day Earth and so the dead rise and eat. They show no fear(they are dead). They are beyond any reasoning,threats, or bribes. They ony eat. They are infectious. They are IMMUNE TO POWERS/SPELLS/PSIONICS of ANY KIND!!! Read the book "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It's awesome. Imagine the Nightlords' reactions to seeing a horde of beings that are NOT impressed with the Nightlord's Powers(IMMUNE). That cannot be controlled(IMMUNE). That become more numerous as the time passes. They will not care about factions. They cannot care about good or evil. They only eat. Even the Nightlords' Powers are useless(IMMUNE). None can survive. They are comming. They are eating. They are right outside the door. WAIT! I thought I heard the door open. I'll just see what is going o..................
*Edit: All contact lost. Please retry message*

Not a big deal, really. The Nightlords almost never fight themselves anyway.

Even if they did, use their powers to create an 2 ton block of metal to fall on the zombies and crush them. problem solved...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Some other things, The zombies are the product of a minor demon lord. All of the Nightlords are equivalent to Demon Lords/Gods.
And I doubt the zombies master would scare or even impress servants of the Dark.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

There's no way something as trivial as some pesky zombies is going to stop the Nightlords. Not when they've got entire cities full of supernaturally strong monsters who could tear them limb from limb and feast on their entrails.

Plus they're after the destruction of the human race. I don't think they'd be particularly upset if zombies destroyed civilization.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

While normal humans are vunerable to the Z-virus, night bane are practicly immune to its its effects. Even though at worst the z-viruse would just kill the bane, it could not turn them into zombies. But this would be only possible in their facade, becasue of the bane's regeneration rate in the morphus is much more then damage casued by the z-virus. All of this is beacaue bane are, for practical porpusses, Wraiths maskerating as the living.

However, necromancers, Infernals, necrosis and other being that can control the undead would have a feild day with all the new, & easaly replacable minions that the plage has given them. The good orented ones would be a thorn in their sides.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Actully you could probibly use the Systems Failure setting OCCs/Char types for this setting becasue they are the best fit of all the settings beacuse it has the "what were they" tables. All you would need to do is throw out all the bug related stuff.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Big cosmic 'Oops' on the part of our zombie-virus friend, then? Had to happen somewhere in the Megaverse when a perfectly diabolical scheme collides with another perfectly diabolical scheme and results in one massive FUBAR...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

ok am I the only one thinking that IF this so called infection Infected the Nightlands Parallel Earth what would it do to the human slaves or for that matter the Dopplegangers ? If this is a mystical Virus then there HAS to be something happening to the dopplegangers .. no questions asked so what if anything would happen to them ? Then secondly if the virus is NOT mystical in nature an the slaves became infected thus increasing the numbers of infected exponentially perhaps to the point of possibly tipping the very carefull balance the Ba'al have in nightlands world . Thus having vast new war's with rogue Vampire's who now see a weekeness they can exploit not to mention the RedFlame demons .. talk about one hell of a HUGE fight the Ba'al would have if you ask me either way it would go just my two cp's tho ..

-Lenwen.
Kinghawke
Explorer

Re: Dead Reign Zombies on Dark Day Earth! Would anyone survive?

Unread post by Kinghawke »

in one of the Rifters, there is the Mortificants, the zombie-creating mages in the Nightbane universe. a cult-town of them were bombed out of existence by the Nightlords via the military once the Resistance leaked info about their existence to the Nightlord government.

however, since Nightbane can't turn into zombies, they would be one of the very few people left on Earth. plus, they are PPE batteries compared to humans, no matter what form they take. the Zombies see & feed on PPE. they would hunt down all Nightbane to extinction no matter how strong the 'Bane is. it will get tired & must sleep eventually. the Nightlords would definitely see that as a positive, culling the zombie-crop as necessary.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Actually, even the average bane is so ridiculously strong compared to Walk...Zombies that I honestly think a single NB could clear out a city full of 100 000 of them quite easily.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

true. they could take down alot of them. but this is assuming millions or billions of zombies, thousands upon thousands at a time. everything in the city could see them glowing. Nightbane can only fight for a finite amount of time, doing any strenuous activity (depending on how physically powerful they are), per their PE level. correct me if I'm wrong.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kinghawke wrote:true. they could take down alot of them. but this is assuming millions or billions of zombies, thousands upon thousands at a time. everything in the city could see them glowing.

Unless zombies can see through walls, and I don't think they can, hiding should not be that impossible.

Nightbane can only fight for a finite amount of time, doing any strenuous activity (depending on how physically powerful they are), per their PE level. correct me if I'm wrong.

They have supernatural PE as well as PS in mophus, and supernatural PE allows them to fight for months at a time without rest.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm going to say even the weakest Nightbane could defeat a billion zombies. Probably in a month, if they weren't too spread out.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I will have to agree that the supernatural stats of the Nightbane will carry the day here.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Hmm I think supernatural endurance is typically ten times that of mortals.. hardly inexhaustible. And I can kill zombies in computer games like Dead Rising for the PS3 with limited tiredness, but they overwhelm you pretty quickly, especially when they surround you. Now, the balance would be altered since you wouldn't be staggered by them, but killing a billion zombies? Please, even with supernatural strength, that'd take an eternity by yourself. After an exhaustive zombie killing session (and mind you, I'm only using my fingers on a controller), you'd be lucky to have killed hundreds, not thousands.. But yeah, they probably can't see through walls, but it does depend on how far they see the PPE - if an entire mall comes for you.. you're screwed, unless you get to higher ground or across a good gap.. and I'm not sure if those zombie's strength is normal human for Dead Reign.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Eclipse wrote:Hmm I think supernatural endurance is typically ten times that of mortals.. hardly inexhaustible.
The dragons writeup says their supernatural endurance lets them go for months at a time without rest, and while you could say "that's just dragons", it's also to my knowlage the only point where it was ever expanded on, so without anything else, i've always assumed it applys to anything else supernatural. It makes sense to me that demons and supernatural beasts can go for weeks without rest, and nightbane in their morphus are clearly supernautral, inhuman creatures as well.

And I can kill zombies in computer games like Dead Rising for the PS3 with limited tiredness, but they overwhelm you pretty quickly, especially when they surround you.

Have you checked out the Dervish talent? it lets you automatically strike everything around you in a nice wide radius, and parry all attacks, even ranged ones. if you ever get so surrounded your starting to get staggered by the sheer mass of them, use that and you can cut everything around you to ribbons.

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Well, I can't remember where I saw the ten times normal endurance thing, unless I'm extrapolating from crazies and juicers in Rifts. Maybe you're right, but mental boredom would have to get to you eventually.

And does the Dervish talent consume PPE?

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Tor wrote:I'm going to say even the weakest Nightbane could defeat a billion zombies. Probably in a month, if they weren't too spread out.

Call me skeptical, but I can't see a Nightbane killing 385 zombies a second, nonstop for a whole month :)
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Sure he could.. he'd just have to set up a massive grinder in a pit and dangle from a rope above it as they tried to lunge for him.. of course, mucking it out each night would be problematic..

Pepsi Jedi
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

They can detect PPE which glows like a light from you so while a wall can stop them from seeing you you better have all doors/windows covered. Nightbane could kill tons of zombies but the problem would be as with all of these types of zombie scenarios is being swarmed. In a small town it probably would not get to dangerous but in a city you could be chain alerting potentially millions of zombies and if you get cornered I don't care how tough you are eventually you would be swamped and killed.

I am not sure zombies are to much of a threat to nightlords themselves but they would be dangerous to the minions again just due to sheer numbers and what you actually have to do to destroy a zombie to keep it from rising again. It would make any kind of control of cities or even military bases difficult to impossible which works for and against the nightlords and once you have hordes of the living dead running around people are MUCH more likely to believe sightings in demons.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:true. they could take down alot of them. but this is assuming millions or billions of zombies, thousands upon thousands at a time. everything in the city could see them glowing.

Unless zombies can see through walls, and I don't think they can, hiding should not be that impossible.

Nightbane can only fight for a finite amount of time, doing any strenuous activity (depending on how physically powerful they are), per their PE level. correct me if I'm wrong.

They have supernatural PE as well as PS in mophus, and supernatural PE allows them to fight for months at a time without rest.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

kaid wrote:They can detect PPE which glows like a light from you so while a wall can stop them from seeing you you better have all doors/windows covered. Nightbane could kill tons of zombies but the problem would be as with all of these types of zombie scenarios is being swarmed. In a small town it probably would not get to dangerous but in a city you could be chain alerting potentially millions of zombies and if you get cornered I don't care how tough you are eventually you would be swamped and killed.

I am not sure zombies are to much of a threat to nightlords themselves but they would be dangerous to the minions again just due to sheer numbers and what you actually have to do to destroy a zombie to keep it from rising again. It would make any kind of control of cities or even military bases difficult to impossible which works for and against the nightlords and once you have hordes of the living dead running around people are MUCH more likely to believe sightings in demons.

The minions won't be in all that much trouble, because sheer weight of numbers cuts both ways. A typical Nightlord citystate will have tens of thousands of powerful supernatural badasses, plus a population of hundreds of thousands of meekly obedient doppelgangers who are just waiting to be mobilised into a shuffling mindless horde of remorseless killers.

And really, I don't think the Nightlords would mind a zombie outbreak all that much. Bringing about the collapse of civilization and exterminating the human race is their job, so who's gonna complain if a bunch of brain-eating cadavers do the job for them? All they'd have to do is use their control of the world's governments to "accidentally" screw up the emergency response to the crisis and they're home free. And by the time that it becomes impossible to control anything it really won't matter if people learn about the truth because most of them will already be dead.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Rallan wrote:
kaid wrote:They can detect PPE which glows like a light from you so while a wall can stop them from seeing you you better have all doors/windows covered. Nightbane could kill tons of zombies but the problem would be as with all of these types of zombie scenarios is being swarmed. In a small town it probably would not get to dangerous but in a city you could be chain alerting potentially millions of zombies and if you get cornered I don't care how tough you are eventually you would be swamped and killed.

The minions won't be in all that much trouble, because sheer weight of numbers cuts both ways. A typical Nightlord citystate will have tens of thousands of powerful supernatural badasses, plus a population of hundreds of thousands of meekly obedient doppelgangers who are just waiting to be mobilised into a shuffling mindless horde of remorseless killers.

And really, I don't think the Nightlords would mind a zombie outbreak all that much. Bringing about the collapse of civilization and exterminating the human race is their job, so who's gonna complain if a bunch of brain-eating cadavers do the job for them? All they'd have to do is use their control of the world's governments to "accidentally" screw up the emergency response to the crisis and they're home free. And by the time that it becomes impossible to control anything it really won't matter if people learn about the truth because most of them will already be dead.

I agree the nightlands would survive a zombie infestation, however your mistaken on them not minding a zombie outbreak. Moloch, and possibly mocker, are the only ones who actually know their job is to exterminate the human race--they havn't told the others sinse the others are happy just ruling the roost. and even Moloch knows he has to keep up apperances. In the rifter 50, which actually has offical nightbane material (cut for space from the survival guide), it has a section on a new necromancer type and new spells, one of which "zombie apocalypse", was actually cast shortly after dark day and caused Modeus to destroy the entire area in an airstrike. so it's already established they take all precautions aginst a zombie outbreak.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Eclipse wrote:Hmm I think supernatural endurance is typically ten times that of mortals.. hardly inexhaustible. And I can kill zombies in computer games like Dead Rising for the PS3 with limited tiredness, but they overwhelm you pretty quickly, especially when they surround you. Now, the balance would be altered since you wouldn't be staggered by them, but killing a billion zombies? Please, even with supernatural strength, that'd take an eternity by yourself.
Naw, assuming it took a melee round per zombie kill (which seems like a bit long IMO) getting 4 per minute is 240 per hour, 5760 a day, 2 103 840 a year, so less than 500 years, and Nightbane can live that long.

Rallan wrote:I can't see a Nightbane killing 385 zombies a second, nonstop for a whole month :)
Maybe I underestimated the time (though if tightly packed enough, I think Nekira's suggestion of Dervish opens up a lot of windows) and then there's always luring the Zombies into the Outer Layer of the Astral Plane, where 500 years takes 18 days to get through.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Would you really want to live your life as a perpetual motion killing machine? Sounds mentally exhausting.

Pepsi Jedi
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Oh I've played many computer games where I can kill at least one opponent every 15 seconds.. doesn't mean I could stand doing that all day and all night. Sleep and doing something else become far more interesting..

So I've tried it. But one man's meat is another man's poison :)

Pepsi Jedi
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

If zombies are a magick virus, then a few months of research should lead to the conjuring up of an anti zombie virus. Apocalypse solved!
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

By that definition, you cant extrapolate from a model about anything and obviously since you haven't been doing it for real either, you can't comment either. Come back and talk about it after you've wiped out a mere million zombies irl ;) I want to see a medal too.

Pepsi Jedi
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Eclipse wrote:Would you really want to live your life as a perpetual motion killing machine? Sounds mentally exhausting.

Sure, Nightbane are immortal anyway, they have time. You'd be keeping the world safe from zombies, an illness that could destroy all life as we know it.

Plus even if we give the minimum amount of experience for subduing a minor menace (25) that racks up. You'd only need to kill 24 thousand zombies to get to level 15 (if Sorcerer/Mystic Nightbane) or only 19 000 otherwise. A decade of bloodshed and practice will give you long-term life security with enhanced abilities.

Did they ever extend the experience table for Nightbane beyond 15?

Since most tables don't go that high, I always rule that people can just use the demon/dragon table if they want (if it's higher). Mega-Heroes and Nightlords have a higher requirement than dragons so they can't, but everyone else lower should be able to.

Eclipse wrote:Oh I've played many computer games where I can kill at least one opponent every 15 seconds.. doesn't mean I could stand doing that all day and all night. Sleep and doing something else become far more interesting..
You wouldn't HAVE to do it full time. Zombies are slow and stupid, you could probably jump up to the top of some tower and take breaks.

A zombie nibbling on your toe would be an easily healed alarm clock for when you need to get back to work.

Captain wrote:If your definition of tried it includes computer games as your only real experience, I'd say you've never tried it.
We've also never underwent a Becoming, had supernatural strength, had a Wolverine healing factor or fought the supernatural. Our experience here doesn't weigh in on how a Nightbane would feel about it. Life for Nightbane fighting easy opponents is going to be a lot more comparable to playing a game of NES CastleVania (the biggest threat is falling into a pit, not the actual enemies) than it would be to an episode of The Walking Dead.

I'm picturing even the weakest possible Nightbane I could build in The Walking Dead, or any other zombie film, and the Dead Reign universe, and it's freakin' ridiculous. Think of an old man getting his foot chewed off, or getting bit and worried about infection, or running out of antibiotics. Nightbane do not have to worry about things like this. The zombies could simply not come at them fast enough.

I don't think we will settle this until we stat it out. So I'm going to figure out the max stats for a Sloucher (because they're the most common type, though I still think the Tanks or whatever they're called wouldn't be a big challenge either) and the minimum stats for a nightbane.

Are we allowed to post stuff like that here? People won't understand until they see how it happens.

We should keep in mind here: there are kind of rules for how many people can engage in melee combat at once. I think it's something like 4 max, though no limits if it's long range. Might've been N&SS. Might increase that based on how zombies like to group rush and don't worry about hitting each other and use attacks like biting.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

If killing zombies is so easy that you can kill tens of thousands of them around the clock without any concern, I fail to see why they would qualify as even a minor menace after the first few hundred, so I don't think you can just grind them until level 15. And it sounds like you'd get burned out mentally eventually, if we're to inject any realism into the mix.

Pepsi Jedi
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I expect some saves vs. insanity or horror factor could become appropriate after a while, sure. That said, it's not so much that zombies are utterly easy. They would still be somewhat challenging. What makes a Nightbane capable of just dominating them is their regenerative abilities and endurance, meaning they don't need downtime and can get right in there.

I always figured that since zombies would rarely (if ever) parry or dodge they'd probably doing a lot of simultaneous attacks, meaning a zombie probably can't defend against those.

Return to “Nightbane®”