The Nightlands and Chi

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

The Nightlands and Chi

Unread post by Glistam »

Due to the nature of the nightlands, would it be predominatly suffused with Negative Chi? I imagine that the Chi available in the nightlands would be slightly less overall than that available in the normal world. That is to say, if an underground cavern would have a Chi flow of 6 Chi per melee in the real world, in the Nightlands it'd probably only give 5 or even 4.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I'd say it'd be all negative but there are a VERY few oasises of low positive chi.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I'd say it'd be all negative but there are a VERY few oasises of low positive chi.

What a great idea. Why didn't I think of that.

because I thought of it for you and magically stuck it in your brain :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I'd say it'd be all negative but there are a VERY few oasises of low positive chi.

What a great idea. Why didn't I think of that.

because I thought of it for you and magically stuck it in your brain :P

HA! That's what you think. I'd need a brain for that to work!

CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!

:lol:

Unread post by Guest »

While this was my initial reaction, a study of both the Nightlands and the flow of natural Chi would seem to disprove it.

While the Nightlands COULD be considered a "dark alternate Earth" dimension, they're not actually that, with enough differences that a closer look at the geophysical situation of the Nightlands.
1. While there aren't a lot of areas of high positive Chi (as defined by N&S, in other words, "thick forests, jungles, and healthy grasslands") neither are there a lot of areas of high negative Chi ("caves, tombs, basements and tunnels"*...though they no doubt exist in the Nightlands).
*Above ground, the only places of negative Chi are "ugly or desolate places of darkness." This is an important note because the Nightlands are NOT a place of darkness. The Nightlands are a place of eternal twilight, with no division of night and day (which for our purposes means that the amount of Chi available won't fluctuate as it will on Earth, it will tend to be very steady, remaining within one point of it's optimal level, with the exception of the Coming of the Light, which undoubtedly temporarily increased the amount of Positive Chi).
2. The Nightlands are NOT a dimension of "unlife" therefore Positive Chi will still be the dominant surface polarity.
3. With very few areas of lush plant life and flowing water, the amount of Postive Chi will be very low.

Judging by all these factors, the amount and type of Positive Chi in the Nightlands will be very low versions of those found on Earth. Above ground will typically be found 1-3 points of Positive Chi, maybe 4-6 in cultivated areas (which brings up the interesting note of what all the Nightlord's slaves are consuming to survive...while consumption of psychic energy from Earth may explain (it's only a theory) why Nightlords and Dopplegangers are only found in the city states mirroring the Earth locations, it doesn't explain why Dopplegangers need to eat (Nightspawnbane, page 158, second paragraph)) and water sources.
Negative Chi on the other hand will be correspondingly that much higher (i.e. 1-3 points higher than the Earth equivalent, with the exception of surface areas, which are never fully dark).
I'd say that The Waste (where no random plant life exists or cultivation has occurred) will average about 2 points of Positive Chi. The Seas of Sand will have 1 point of Positive Chi. Islands will vary, depending on whether or not fresh water streams (2 without and 4 with). Sinkholes will likely have about 4 points of Positive Chi available. Rivers at least 5 points of Positive Chi, with the Western Stream likely providing 6 points of Positive Chi. The City States will be similar to modern Earth Cities, with lower amounts of Postive Chi and more occurances of Negative Chi. The Human and Alien settlements (i.e. Kingodm of Mu-Tulan) will be closer to Earth-normal levels of Chi, with possibly a -1 to the average amount of Positive Chi.

Of more interest is the Guardians and their Sunlight-derived power. I can see I'm going to have to give them some serious thought.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

While this was my initial reaction, a study of both the Nightlands and the flow of natural Chi would seem to disprove it.

While the Nightlands COULD be considered a "dark alternate Earth" dimension, they're not actually that, with enough differences that a closer look at the geophysical situation of the Nightlands.
1. While there aren't a lot of areas of high positive Chi (as defined by N&S, in other words, "thick forests, jungles, and healthy grasslands") neither are there a lot of areas of high negative Chi ("caves, tombs, basements and tunnels"*...though they no doubt exist in the Nightlands).
*Above ground, the only places of negative Chi are "ugly or desolate places of darkness." This is an important note because the Nightlands are NOT a place of darkness. The Nightlands are a place of eternal twilight, with no division of night and day (which for our purposes means that the amount of Chi available won't fluctuate as it will on Earth, it will tend to be very steady, remaining within one point of it's optimal level, with the exception of the Coming of the Light, which undoubtedly temporarily increased the amount of Positive Chi).
2. The Nightlands are NOT a dimension of "unlife" therefore Positive Chi will still be the dominant surface polarity.
3. With very few areas of lush plant life and flowing water, the amount of Postive Chi will be very low.

Judging by all these factors, the amount and type of Positive Chi in the Nightlands will be very low versions of those found on Earth. Above ground will typically be found 1-3 points of Positive Chi, maybe 4-6 in cultivated areas (which brings up the interesting note of what all the Nightlord's slaves are consuming to survive...while consumption of psychic energy from Earth may explain (it's only a theory) why Nightlords and Dopplegangers are only found in the city states mirroring the Earth locations, it doesn't explain why Dopplegangers need to eat (Nightspawnbane, page 158, second paragraph)) and water sources.
Negative Chi on the other hand will be correspondingly that much higher (i.e. 1-3 points higher than the Earth equivalent, with the exception of surface areas, which are never fully dark).
I'd say that The Waste (where no random plant life exists or cultivation has occurred) will average about 2 points of Positive Chi. The Seas of Sand will have 1 point of Positive Chi. Islands will vary, depending on whether or not fresh water streams (2 without and 4 with). Sinkholes will likely have about 4 points of Positive Chi available. Rivers at least 5 points of Positive Chi, with the Western Stream likely providing 6 points of Positive Chi. The City States will be similar to modern Earth Cities, with lower amounts of Postive Chi and more occurances of Negative Chi. The Human and Alien settlements (i.e. Kingodm of Mu-Tulan) will be closer to Earth-normal levels of Chi, with possibly a -1 to the average amount of Positive Chi.

Of more interest is the Guardians and their Sunlight-derived power. I can see I'm going to have to give them some serious thought.

That actually does make sense. especially considering the Nightlords arn't native to the nightlands.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Thank you for the insight.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:*Above ground, the only places of negative Chi are "ugly or desolate places of darkness." This is an important note because the Nightlands are NOT a place of darkness.
But it is very ugly (and at least spiritually dark)... Personally, i'd set the chi a little lower [in general] than you have...

Unread post by Guest »

acreRake wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:*Above ground, the only places of negative Chi are "ugly or desolate places of darkness." This is an important note because the Nightlands are NOT a place of darkness.
But it is very ugly (and at least spiritually dark)... Personally, i'd set the chi a little lower [in general] than you have...

Whether it's ugly or desolate isn't as important as it being a place of darkness.

Return to “Nightbane®”