The nuclear option?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

If you really wanna be sadistic, trigger the Coming of the Rifts or Dark Day with this strike! ^_^
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Quinn Mieron wrote:If you really wanna be sadistic, trigger the Coming of the Rifts or Dark Day with this strike! ^_^

I don't think Chaos Earth and Nightbane would mix too well.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Quinn Mieron wrote:If you really wanna be sadistic, trigger the Coming of the Rifts or Dark Day with this strike! ^_^

It took more then just one nuke to bring about the deaths needed to trigger the rifts on rifts earth, so I don't see it happening. Also you'd have ppl (PSIs) in other places dieing, passing out, or other 'mystriuse illenesses' that would of ocured @ the same time.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Ummm... was there much travel to the Nightlands pre-darkday? This doesn't seem too plausible.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
DrunkenWind_Hammer

Unread post by DrunkenWind_Hammer »

Here's what I would do.

1. Lilith finally got fed up with Luisa Vargas, her Avatar in Mexico, so she supplied the Spook Squad with info that would finish her, only they did the job too well.

2. In the US the TV reports that a plague, or Bird Flu epademic has broken out. They blast the authorities of Mexico for trying to cover it up, allowing the virus to escape, and possibly infect the US.

3. Moloch orders Lilith to spread a plague into LA, hoping to kill off everyone on the West Coast this way.

4. Lilith doesn't want to kill off all her human playthings, so she tips off the player characters via demon contacts to stop this plot. (I prefer to use Necrophim for this sort of double dealing.)

This would be a good opportunity to kill off a Moloch avatar, and Lilith will sacrifice some of her own minions to make everything look good, of course. Plague destroyed. Fun continues.

PS- Any Spook Squad members that survived their mission would be quietly slaughtered by Lilith's minions, as retrebution for poor Luisa. And I do mean SLAUGHTERED! In fact the PC's could be on their way to meet them to find out what happened when they discover... (Insert graphic mutilation description here.)

(I thought those nightlords could smoke a Nuke like a crack pipe and just get stronger for it, but hey whatever works.)
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: The nuclear option?

Unread post by Thinyser »

Nerdbane wrote:I'm considering adding another subplot wrinkle to my Nightbane campaign. (I should add this is a pre-Dark Day campaign, so it bears a much closer to resemblance to The Real World, except for the Nightbane.)

In addition to everything else the PCs are dealing with, one day the news coverage goes ballistic as reports come in that 95% of the population of Mexico City has just dropped dead. No eveidence of terrorism can be found - no dirty bombs, no chemical traces, no explosions. Experts are baffled and people in general are freaked out.

If the PCs investigate they will eventually learn that a rogue cell of the Spook Squad decided to stage a massive attack on a Nightlord stronghold in the Nightlands version of Mexico City. They actually set off a nuke in the Nightlord's fortress. Everyone in the Nightlands city - Nightlord, princes, Ashmedai, hunters and hounds, doppelgangers, and of course the Spook Squadders - died in the blast. Unfortunately, the predictions of parapsychologists turned out to be dead on: the massive deaths in the Nightlands city caused lethal psychic backlash on Earth (possibly amplified by the fact that Mexico City is a supernexus of ley lines) and that, in turn, killed almost everyone for miles around.

Interisting to say the least...

My problem is that I have a hard time wrapping my head around what the fallout (no pun intended) from all this would be. I'm curious about everyone's opinions on the repercussions in all areas. For instance:

1 - What would happen to Mexico as a country? Would Mexico City have to be quarantined while the millions of corpses were dealt with?

Yes or else the living would spread disease...and i'm sure the gov't would do it out of simple paranoia because they dont know what the hell happened.
2 - What would the US gov't response be? Or the worldwide response?
paranoia on a grand scale...probably the banning of all travel to and from mexico for a period of time no shorter than a month IMO
3 - What about within the community of the Nightbane and/or supernatural beings in general? Would the Spook Squad be perceived as a threat that needed to be taken down? Or as evildoers that need to be punished?
Possibly depending on how your game is run
4 - What about in the Nightlands - how would the other Nightlords react?
paranoia especially if they succeded in killing the nightlord that they attacked...this could be what caused them to cause dark day

5 - What kind of supernatural phenomena might result from this disaster?

well in Rifts it was the death of millions that caused the coming of the rifts (though there were some planatary alingments that conrtibuted to this also) so maybe this is what spurred dark day. the millions of deaths releases enough PPE that the nightlords can get a foothold and then later bring about dark day....
Appreciate the input!

da Nerdbane
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I don't think Chaos Earth and Nightbane would mix too well.

I feel differently. I figure Dark Day should be a prelude to Chaos Earth myself. The Nightlords are in power, they make their move but they overestimate the damage and when trying to bring about a ton of ppe to do something cosmic involving the nightlands they instead trigger all the ley lines and rifts and boom, Chaos Earth comes pouring out into the Nightlands and Earth.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Hmmm...

My big question is that if this is pre-"Dark Day"...

Where did the Spook Squad come from (the alphabet soup of US federal bureaus would still exist)?

How did the Spook Squad learn about the Nightlands? No one "knew" about it until after Dark Day, since the "walls" between the dimentions was too impermiable.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Who cares what the canon Meta-Plot is?
Mix Nightbane and Chaos Earth to your hearts' content: Don't let Kevin Siembieda write your game for you. You are the GM, not KevSim.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I could see Dark Day and the Coming of the Rifts being worked together. I'm more intuned to a HU/Nightbane cross over, but either should work. I still like the original idea of Chaos Earth being an alternate to Rifts.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I think a better place to drop the nuke is that place were the night loards have that ritual going 24/7 on earth and the nightlands. I think the book said that it would make the mirro wall harder to get though if it was stopped.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ritual?

Don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Which book was it in?
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Lindharin

Unread post by Lindharin »

Yep, Federal Electronics Inc, page 78 of Nightlands. Stopping that one ceremony would effectively double the PPE cost of any dimensional travel between Earth and the Nightlands, including Mirrorwalk, etc. It makes you wonder how many such rituals are underway across the world...
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

I'll have to check, but it sounds good... :D
Fnord

Return to “Nightbane®”