How many Talents?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Personally I tend to pick my talents carefully, but with a luckey high base roll for PPE I had enough to burn on some well-choses talents and still have plenty left.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I don't start buying talents until about 5th level, unless I need a few extra talents for flavor.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I ussuly start off my chars with three or four talents. But then only use the "free" talents as they get experienced, unless I really need the char to have them.

However, one of my chars I spent nearly all the PPE in buying special features (multiple of the same, it was a only when the char is built feature so it was sort of maditory foor the PPE to be spent then).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sanctu
Explorer

Re: How many Talents?

Unread post by Sanctu »

Nerdbane wrote:I'm sure that in a little while, when they hit fourth level, they will definitely take the freebie Talent.

Do you get much choice? Do/would you allow a player to hold back purchasing an extra Talent and save it until later or even a higher level?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: How many Talents?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sanctu wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:I'm sure that in a little while, when they hit fourth level, they will definitely take the freebie Talent.

Do you get much choice? Do/would you allow a player to hold back purchasing an extra Talent and save it until later or even a higher level?

While they get the free talent @ 4th level they don't have to 'discover it' right away.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Nerdbane wrote:I hadn't even considered the possibility of holding off at level four so they can get two "not until 5th level" for free at level seven.

Naw, that wouldn't happen. They'd purchase one right away at 5th :)

And of course, I'm debating whether or not to clue them in to the old "you know, if you want you can make up your own talents, scaled to similar levels as the ones in the books, if you like" chestnut ...[/quote]

I would, myself. That seem to be part of the fun of playing Nightbane. You don't get many Talents, generally (well, it's not like a sorceror knowing spells, anyway), but you can customize them to what you need, just twist them to fit the setting a tad. Especially if they really enjoy it.

Then again, I don't know your players.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

while I haven't had any problem with it I have heard that some players love to stock up on talents which is odd because the book does say that you can omly purchase two talents per level.

Return to “Nightbane®”