Question for Shadow Slide

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Question for Shadow Slide

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

udgang99 wrote:I have a couple of question for anyone who have used the talent Shadow Slide ...

1. How fast do you move when you are in this form. My group plays with a maximum speed of a "slow pace" ... but I would love to be able to "run".

2. Are you affected by wind when in this form? I was once trying to board a helicopter in this form, but was blown away by the force of wind from the machine. But I think that may have been bacause we have seen this talent as more of a smoke/fog, rather than a shadow.

1. normal speed
2. No, it's pure shadow and unnaffected by wind.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sanctu
Explorer

Re: Question for Shadow Slide

Unread post by Sanctu »

The Last Darkness wrote:Though ive heard many arguments over a serious issue.
Can a Shadow Exist in complete darkness?

I think in this case it can. You, are, in essense, becoming dark energy, and that is perfectly capible of existing in complete darkness.

In another game system, which I believe must remain completely unnamed, there are creatures that become shadow that begin to loose it, both physically and mentally, if they are in complete and utter darkness for long periods of time. Also, a character of mine had an animate shadow power in another game, and my character was always trying to subtly make sure that there were light sources around so his power would work. Neither of these are the case with Shadow Slide, in my opinion, but it is an excellant thing to consider.

A side question/issue I've been wondering for a while: so, if yuo are a regular human sucked into the Nightlands, it's dark. Somehow, though, you can still see? There are theories of some kind of "dark sun"? What happens if you go into a building? Does the darkness become impenitrible when you enter the basement of a Nightlands equivelant building?

Is this all just game balancing so the the humans don't get eaten? (Because, you know, they'd turn ona flash light and attract every Hount and Hunter for miles.)
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

The Last Darkness wrote:Yes inside buildings and such its dark like normal but outside its like a forever dusk.
Depending on your imagination its either lit up by a dark gold or red "glow"

And yet the sky is pitch black? And no shadows... like, well, twilight. Being one of my favotite times to walk in the woods, I can imagine it well. No shadows, no sun, but the places deep in trees are hard to see, the places on a path or open sky easier.

Can you read by the non-light light?

Creepy. I like it.

The Last Darkness wrote:As for that certain unnamed game system I seem to remeber there was a tower that illumiated light constantly and it was full of shadow like beings.

Show me yours ina private message, and I'll show you mine :)
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

My only limitations with shadow slide is that there has to be a shadow to slide into and you can't go flying though air. The darkness of the nightlands I would consider to be forever cloaked in shadows.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

udgang99 wrote:One more question : Hounds can see through illusions ... is the Shadow Slide an illusion, or a "physical state"?

it's a physical state, not an illusion

Also: When I'm in this state, do I take damage if shot?

You are not immune to attacks.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The ineffible GM
Explorer

answers for some questions

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

Shadow Slide is one of those abilities that was put in because it was really really cool, not because they really thought about how it would actually work.

According to the books, you move at normal speed. My group misread it at first, and so we played that you basically travelled at the speed of light because shadow is simply a degree of light. But normal speed by the rules.

As for being attacked, it is generally considered a physical state. However, shadow isn't really substantial, is it? The way we worked it, you are immune to normal physical damage. You are vulnerable, though, to magic and psionics. Now, the kicker to that is we counted the dark-blades of the hounds/hunters as magic weapons for purposes of damage.

Now, at the beginning getting onto a helicoptor was mentioned...
No, the wind would not bother you. But you have to remember that a shadow, by it's nature, is always cast against a surface. It always struck me that you can't travel through empty air, you can only 'slide' along physical surfaces. So, you could slide along the ground then up the landing gear and into the coptor if it was landed, but you need a physical connection to travel along. If it is only air between the surface you're on and the helicoptor, you have nothing to slide along.
Now, if a buddy through a rope up onto the coptor, there's your physical link.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five

Return to “Nightbane®”