Living Magic?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Living Magic?

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Does anyone use these things in their adventures? Maybe I'm reading
their description wrong, but can they do their ability automatically or
does it cost PPE? Say a living 7th Heal Others spells comes alive. Does it
cost him PPE to use his powers or can he just heal people all day long?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A young living spell has to use part of their eccence (their ppe base) to use the spell that first made them.

After that each living spell undergoes change, slow or fast, only devloping additional powers as they gain full sentience. This is because most living spells start off with "at most" what the spell caster that somehow 'created' them. Or that have no knowlage, but is cognativly aware, following their 'instingts' to use they fundamental spell, or to follow out the spirit of their fundamental spell.

If a living healing spell became sentient enopuh to aquire an OCC, then they would get the normal powers of that OCC.

Living spells cannot have a PCC.

Living Magic are simmiler to living spells, but are much more unique and tend to have inharent understanding of magic that lets them aquire magic from being the target of the magic or from observing the magic in use.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Living Magic?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Reagren Wright wrote:Does anyone use these things in their adventures? Maybe I'm reading
their description wrong, but can they do their ability automatically or
does it cost PPE? Say a living 7th Heal Others spells comes alive. Does it
cost him PPE to use his powers or can he just heal people all day long?

basically in order to cast themselves they need to get enough PPE.

they can cast themselves but that takes all their own PPE, and being nothing but pure magic, they basically cease to exsist after that BUT given more PPE and they can cast themselves safely.

also, the higher level the living magic, the more adaptable they will be.

whereas a Blinding Flash spell will just be concerned with making bright lights and probablly scaring people and that's it. a Restoration spell will be a very skilled mundane healer and probablly able to cast lesser healing spells naturally.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Persoanlly I didn't like this idea of magic in a Nightbane setting. Maybe on something vastly unique, but it seemed more to kill the character of magic and such rather than enhance it for me. I can wrap my mind around a varient of Shadow Run and the Astral Plane there and have something like this possibly work in my mind, but it just seems a little too out there for me for the most part.

Perhaps years from now I'll re-read the section and things will click. That's happened before with Palladium suppliments.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The thing about "between the shadows" in that its mainly a megaversal sorce book with NB setting flavor text. Same could be said about the Magic Rules found in Through the Glass Darkly".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I tend to use then in the rare occurence that I GM

Return to “Nightbane®”