newly changed Bane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

newly changed Bane

Unread post by shiiv-a »

alright, this is where I get a little confused. (surprised it doesn't happen with each breath i take)

a Bane changes for the first time, NEVER knew they could do that .. failed their HF roll against the change so is ultimately terrified of their 'true form' (especially when its a bleeding mechanical bodies centaur)

do they KNOW all the abilities they should?
seems kinda like once they change the info is shoved down the throat and they know everything that they should.
or is it more along the lines of 'when i do this, that happens .. so if i do that, what would happen then?'
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

The impression I've gotten is that all of the characters innate abilities from changing -- flying if you have wings, moving around on your HG Wells-ian Martian tentiles, driving yourself with your harley lower body, turning on your chain saw, transforming your hand, etc. -- are all instinctual. Much like the fact that suddenly you have HTH Martial Arts, instantly. You might not consciously think about using them, but will when you want to or need to.

The same goes for your initial Talent. While even if you've randomized the Morphus traits the Talent is still a player choice, I find it falls into this same category. It's something innate to the Bane that they will be able to use when they want to, reguardless of how they react to their Morphus form.

I personally tend to think of this as though you are dreaming and find your self in a situation that's strange to you consciously, but in the dream it all makes a kind of sense. After all, your Morphus form is supposed to be based on your subconscious, and your subconscious is you. You are fully in control of your form and abilities. You know everything you're Morphus form can do. You shaped it. And upon first changing you can fly on those leathry wings; run and leap on your centaur legs; transform your hand into a chainsaw, turn it on completely reflexivly, and cut down that enemy with it as those you've been trained in that exact style (at least enough to be a first level martial artist).

Now, trauma asside, you might not be able to effectively talk about it right away. Just because you innately know it doesn't necesarily make it easy to write a paper on it, or know everything about how you're new found abilities are useful in every situation. From a player's point of view, you should be able to use your characters newly stapled-on abilities without any kind of learrning penalty, though.

This doesn't mean that you aren't going to be shocked and horrified at what you've become. Suddenly you've changed into some kind of monster. You don't actually know that you can change back at first (it's mentioned that this is a discovery Nightbane make -- easily done and early on, but still...). You might changed or encountered others who will also freak out. And let's not forget that something truely impossible is happening -- given the general setting, this is, for most first change Bane, their very first experience with anything supernatural. That's bound to cause severe trauma, bonuses to save vs Horror Factor or no.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They know EVERYTHING they are capable of. The same reason they ALL have Hand to Hand Martial Arts in morphus. it's utterlly and completly intuitive. no prior experiance needed.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

What Nekira said, and shorter than I :)
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Sanctu wrote:I personally tend to think of this as though you are dreaming and find your self in a situation that's strange to you consciously, but in the dream it all makes a kind of sense.
"Gee -- when you put it like that, it's almost like poetry!"

/Almost
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

alright .. thanks for the input ..

Return to “Nightbane®”