Ley Lines in the Nightlands

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I would say yes. The Ley lines probably match up in the Nightlands to Nightspawn earth.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I don't know about there being ley lines in the Nightlands, and here is why. In Rifts: Dark Conversions, it states that the coming of the Rifts cast the Nightlands further away from Rifts Earth (which has infuriated the Nightlords). This seems to suggest that the stronger the magic presence on Earth, the harder it is to go between there and the Nightlands. Thus, I have hypothesized that perhaps the ley lines and nexuses act as some sort of mystical barrier that interferes with mirror-walking and other transportation to the Nightlands. Perhaps the "natural" force behind the ley lines is actually the antithesis to the Nightlands. Just a thought...
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Warwolf wrote:I don't know about there being ley lines in the Nightlands, and here is why. In Rifts: Dark Conversions, it states that the coming of the Rifts cast the Nightlands further away from Rifts Earth (which has infuriated the Nightlords). This seems to suggest that the stronger the magic presence on Earth, the harder it is to go between there and the Nightlands. Thus, I have hypothesized that perhaps the ley lines and nexuses act as some sort of mystical barrier that interferes with mirror-walking and other transportation to the Nightlands. Perhaps the "natural" force behind the ley lines is actually the antithesis to the Nightlands. Just a thought...

I'd say that the ley lines don't hinder it, as the Geo-Immortal can open a portal to the nightlands at a ley line nexus rather cheeply.

the coming of the rifts pushing hte nightlands away had nothing to do with the ley lines, but of the rifts themselves. the dimensional disturbance pushed away some close realties (such as the nightlands) and brought others closer (such as Atlantis) in the chaos
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Luckily for us, Nightbane has nothing to do with Rifts (it's Rifts that wants to have something to do with it).

If the Ley lines don't match up, i would be very surprised, and would expect a good (scary) reason why.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the coming of the rifts pushing hte nightlands away had nothing to do with the ley lines, but of the rifts themselves. the dimensional disturbance pushed away some close realties (such as the nightlands) and brought others closer (such as Atlantis) in the chaos

While I realize that this is the most likely explanation, I use my hypothesis for my own purposes. I was just offering another way of looking at things. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

If you read Nightlands it says the city of Typhoon sits on a ley line nexus.
Now does that suggest that there is a ley line nexus in New York City?
Probably not. So maybe there are some varations between the two
different regions.
Sanctu
Explorer

Re: Ley Lines in the Nightlands

Unread post by Sanctu »

Nerdbane wrote:Do ley line locations correspond exactly from Earth to the Nightlands?

Given the various bits I've read, and Reagren's Nightlands' reference, I'd say no, they don't. At least not as a rule...

Nerdbane wrote:If I'm running a campaign where the characters live in a fictional small town that happens to have a ley line running through it, and a mage mirrorwalks over to the Nightlands through his bedroom mirror, is he still standing on or near a ley line?

Personally I'm more prone to ask how the mage is mirror walking exactly and why he'd call it that. :D

I think the ultimate answer is that it's up to you. Given the example of Tycoon, there certainly doesn't have to be a correspondance. The landscapes of the cites themselves in the Nightlands are twisted and warped, aren't they? Personally, I love the idea of the lay line itself snaking in and out of one world and into and out of the other. Your mage actually riding along this and seeing the connection would make for a nice effect since to him any "distortion" of the city on the other side of the mirror will/might make some weird sort of metaphysical sense.

I do love that you are actually asking that question ahead of time as you create the world. I wish I had a less speculative answer.

Return to “Nightbane®”