Astral Plane and Dreamstream Combo

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well the Dreammaker also needs the relevant Astral knowledge to pull it off too.

But yeah, possible.

Incidently, the Necrophim have powers in both the Astral Plane and the Dreamstream. A few other creatures as well.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Unless said entity is capable of manifesting in the Astral Plane, I'd say no dice.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Actually I think I might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Let's see if I can figure this one out.

Astral Lord is in his Astral Domain and Sleeping.

A dreamstream creature is sent to Astral Lord's dream pool and then tries to manifest next to the Astral Lord's physical reality.

But the Astral Lord's Physical Reality is currently in his Astral Domain.

What happens next depends on a few things:

1) If the Astral Lords's Astral Domain has properties approximate enough to allow the Phsyical Plane's properties to apply

2) If the Dreamstream Creature can manifest on the Astral Plane.

For the Dreamstream creature to appear in the Astral Realm in this case, either 1 or 2 have to be true. If 1) Is true the creature possesses the properties it would have in the Physical world. if 2 Is true the creature would possess the properties it has on the Astral Plane. If 1 and 2 are true then it is the same case as 1.

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

or the GM fudges and Kills te pc no matter what.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Okay,

so bascally our shifter is using the dream critter's dream portal ability to access the "physical" location of the Astral Lord in the Astral Domain.

Don't said dream critter have to be in the drea pool of said Astral Lord at the time to open a Dream Portal near him?

Basically the Summoner will have to enter the dreamstream with the creature he summoned.

That should be fun, time for a new battle of wills with the Shifter probably suffering a sevre disadvantage from being dreamblind.

Assuming the Shifter manages to retain control, yes he could go through the dream portals opened by the creature, however he will still have to go into the dream pool of the Astral Lord (which is probably as dangerous as entering intoan Astral Lord's domain uninvited anyway) and then the "reality" of the Astral Realm in question would have to be near enough to our reality for the dream portal to function (I don't know if it functions in the astral plane properly). Finally the Astral Lord's Astral Realm's Defences wills til work as normal and react to the intrusion appropriately.

My 2 cents anyway.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Shifter would still have to dream window into the dream pool and then dream window again into the astral domain (presuming the physics of the domain permit a dream window to open).

Probably would have to Dream Window into the dream stream in general.

I also think that in the dreamsstream a summoned creature would probably get its dream combat bonuses in the battle of wills, maybe even an automatic save ("this is my reality and in my reality you have no power over me")

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I wasn't thinking the spell version of the summoning, I was thinking more the old style battle of wills thing.

As for moving into the dream pool, does it say those with no power over the dream stream can do that?

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

But . . . the Shifter / Summoner has no OCC/RCC ability to engage in dream combat.

So that means he could be SOL on going through himself and might need the critter to open the way for him.

Which, if he means said Astral Mage no harm, is a problem because once that creature is unsummoned, it knows where to find the Astral Lord's Dream pool and can probably do some hunting on the Shifter's Dream Pool. If the being is in anyway malevolent (I don't think the summon dream creature lets you pick nasty / nice just power level) the Astral Lord and the Shifter will be having nightmares for years . . . or worse.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

So the Shifter would haev to smack himself against the membrane repeatedly until he got through or open a spell or get the creature to open a spell that lets him in.

BTW: I'm not saying your idea won't work, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what would happen if tried.

So far I'm getting the idea that it's a complicated, difficult and dangerous way just to get a hold of someone.

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Gadrin, From what i understand about the Dream Window spell, and the Dreamstream/Astral Plane in general, i see no problem with your plan. In fact, i'm not even sure the Dreamstream critter is necessary (didn't we have a discussion about people finding other people in the DS a while ago?)

As for my own megaversal interpretation of the Dreamstream there is only one, everything (RCCs anyway), everywhere, goes there when they sleep. I kind of see it like an infinite ocean with islands and continents of dreamers who know about each other and are drawn together by association. As far as i can tell, the better you know someone the closer your dream pool is to them, regardless of what dimension (or plane?) they currently reside in. (That holds true at least for NB-Earth/Nightlands so i don't see why not everywhere else... including the Astral Plane).

One other point that was brought up that i might consider is the physics of the Target astral domain. The more 'Earth-like' it is the better the chances of the Dream window working IMHO.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

:lol: :lol: :lol: So all of this was for the shifter to get a date??? :lol:

Return to “Nightbane®”