Animal Special Traits carry over?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I wouldn't give those out as inherent abilities. Animal Morphus traits usually don't provide the abilities of any particular species beyond the generalizations of "snake," "rodent," "insect," etc. Such abilities would be better suited as their own separate Morphus traits, or as Elite Talents.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Same here. The Morphus tables give general bonuses for a range of forms. Anything beyond that should have to be paid for in some form (either as additional Morphus features or Talents).
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

I personlly wouldn't allow it, but I can see where your coming from.
But I would rule that the nightbane in not becomeing said creatures, a nightbane with a spider morphus for example isn't becoming a spider, but a nightmareish version of a spider like creature, and on the morhpus tables they do get a few bonuses based on shape and over all appearance.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Another possibility might be to allow special morphus customizations with a P.P.E. cost, like with Gun Limbs, but personally I'd go with expanded Morphus tables for mundane things like heightened senses, leaping, venom, camouflaging skin (which could apply to not only reptiles, but octopi), etc., and Talents for anything bizarre like radar or thermographic vision (which I would note are NOT possessed by the animals stated above).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Cyborg Cannibals

Unread post by Cyborg Cannibals »

Having Morphus specific abilities is what I always considered one of the perks of having a NB character. Face it, unless you choose Morphus traits that give good physical bonuses to overpower your character, Nightbane aren't going to stand up to most of the bad guys in the game without help.
Allowing Morphus specific abilities like a web spinning spider form or a were-snake with limited thermal vision is all part of the "making your own monster" charm of having a NB character. As long as people don't try to take advantage of it, what's the harm?
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

The Last Darkness wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:I wouldn't give those out as inherent abilities. Animal Morphus traits usually don't provide the abilities of any particular species beyond the generalizations of "snake," "rodent," "insect," etc. Such abilities would be better suited as their own separate Morphus traits, or as Elite Talents.

I have often been brought into the issue of Elite Talents created based on species or generalised.
I had a player once who had a mixed Serpent/Reptile form and wanted to create a talent that would give him all the powers of Reptiles and Serpents.
I think he was gonna call it "Perfect Evolution" or something like that. I deemed it to powerful.

I agree that the Morphus tables generlise for the base traits of the entire genus. But dont go into specifics other then resemblence if you choose a certain species. To me it would reckon if you were a Kodiak Grizzly Bear you would have a few small stat changes and bite dmg increased as its abouve average in all reguards for a Bear.

Also as for the idea your just copying appearence, if you knew something of a animal or had some other ideas "Snakes are slimy" wouldnt you also copy those features reguardless of actual fact?
Which is intresting to me as old wives tales and supertisions could influence some morphus.
Possibly, but if it was in My game, anything not specifically listed in the morphus listing would need to be purchased as a talent. That's what talents are after all... abilities based on the inner self concept of the character.
So if your morphus is a spider, that's your self concept. If you know spiders jump really freakin' high, that's part of your self concept. As long as you can fit it into the talents framework.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Just an idea based off of this discussion, but what about allowing characters during creation to purchase animal specific abilities as listed in ATB or HU2 mutant animal abilities? So if your charaacter is part snake, you could go to the snake section and see what powers mutant snakes are allowed to purchase, then allow the nightbane to purchase them by expending PPE for the BIO-E cost.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

*nods to Cyborg Cannibals*

I have to agree, here. If you are allowing people to customize their Morphus, allowing animal abilities seems perfectly reasonable. Keep in mind that the more "animal-like" they are on the charts, the fewer human traits they tend to retain. "Full" animals, for example, tend not to have hand or be bipedal, for example. If your bat form is a vampire bat (or even just the head of a bat), having a very short range heat detecting snout seems reasonable to me. You might then have trouble with solid food, though, and have a limited selection of menu option at the local Club Freak, though.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

When GMing Nightbane I want my players to be happy, and when I boast their morphus can be anything... I'll let them do anything that doesn't throw off the balance of the game.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Return to “Nightbane®”