Nightbane on Rifts

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Nightbane on Rifts

Unread post by The Beast »

Do Nightbane in Facade form seem like normal humans to psychics, magic users, dog boys, and similar senses?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I too would imagine they don't appear as a normal human, but would be a bit difficult to discern. Considering the (at least canonical) lack of Nightspawn on Rifts Earth, I don't think most psychics and their ilk would have a clue what they were looking at other than "something really wierd."
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:If they haven't, they would seem like any other squishy.

Hey C.R.A.F.T., did you pick up that term "squishy" to mean humans from me? That's what we call them in my group, and I know I posted it once :-P I love seeing it in use, it just intruiges me that another person does it too, hehe.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Depends on what is being detected.

Powers which detect supernatural creatures, e.g. Presence Sense, Sense Evil, etc., will not sense a Nightbane in Facade form.

See Aura will register the Nightbane's unusually high amount of P.P.E. (as would any powers which specifically sense P.P.E.) and will probably also indicate an "unusual human aberration" but will not specifically reveal that the character is not what it seems.

As near as I can tell, a Nightbane's true nature can only be sensed by another Nightbane or by a spellcaster using the Sense Nightbane spell.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Excellant.

Death to the squishies! Well... at least the ones that haven't joined the Wolfen Empire.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Squishy is part of the lexicon from Juicers Uprising. A lot of posters here use the term on occasion.

As for the question at hand, I think Nightbane in facade would definitely register as other than human. Dog boys and other creatures who can sense/smell the supernatural could become familiar with the scent of a Nightbane in facade form, but on the first encounter they would just know that something is not right.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

The term "squishy/squishies" has been in use among mecha/giant robot fans for a long time now (10 years, at least). I first came across it in 1996 or so on alt.toys.transformers - it's common with Transformer fans, and was in wide use by then. CJ seems to have borrowed it from the giant robot/mecha community for JU. A related term is "ravioli", for a human in body armor or power armor - because inside the shell is squishy meat :D. Can't remember if that one's in JU or not.
Last edited by Beelzebozo on Mon May 23, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Wow, I didn't realize "squishy" was so widely used. My group (Wolfen, in PF) have been calling humans Squishies for years, never knowing anybody else did :-P I'll have to let them all know (once I dig up their email addresses...)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

While they read different to See aura, they are not supernat in their facades. So they will not set off a DogBoy's Sense SN"
The Beast

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Depends on what is being detected.

Powers which detect supernatural creatures, e.g. Presence Sense, Sense Evil, etc., will not sense a Nightbane in Facade form.

See Aura will register the Nightbane's unusually high amount of P.P.E. (as would any powers which specifically sense P.P.E.) and will probably also indicate an "unusual human aberration" but will not specifically reveal that the character is not what it seems.

As near as I can tell, a Nightbane's true nature can only be sensed by another Nightbane or by a spellcaster using the Sense Nightbane spell.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Just wanted to check
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The true nature of a NB can also be sensed by a Anthantos.
The Beast

drewkitty wrote:The true nature of a NB can also be sensed by a Anthantos.

What book is this in?
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

Shadows of Light

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Addendum to previous post: I was reading Between the Shadows last night and I happened across the Mind Master's ability to Sense Supernatural Beings, and lo and behold a Mind Master can detect Nightbane in Facade form, but with a -30% penalty to the detection roll.

One may wish to apply this to Psi-Sensitives, Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys as well.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Beelzebozo wrote: A related term is "ravioli", for a human in body armor or power armor - because inside the shell is squishy meat :D. Can't remember if that one's in JU or not.

They called it "Squishie in a Hardshell" in JU. Or if it was a deadboy it was called a "Black Lobster".
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

"Ravioli" is soo much more colorful, though.

The Beast

About a couple of weeks ago we began a new game combining NB, N&S, & HU: Century City. I made a Nightbane and jokingly asked the GM if I could roll once on the Meglomania table from Rifter (insert number here please, I dont feel like digging right now). Anyway I did the roll in front of him before he said anything and got the first entry listed. He said "Sure, go with it." I got the feeling he never read the table, so I asked if he wanted to read it first, but he never did. That entry, for those who don't have the Rifter issue, doubles all of your bonuses in Morphous form, and makes you seem like a god to all those who can sense such things. Also the table automaticly raises you Horror Factor to 18.

Anyway, I play the character as if he hates his Morphous form, changing to it only when absolutly needed. Then the GM introduced an Avatar as a major crime boss in Century City (Dark Day hasn't happened yet in our game). We head over to where he normally hangs out at because he was rumored to be involved with the dissapearence of several super heroes. We called him out, and at first we were losing badly. At one point the avatar is standing overtop our juicer (the first juicer in this world, just happens to have the same name as the one from Rifts: WB10.... And is played the same way... I guess he is the first one! :lol: ).
I decide we were up against a wall, and bust out the other form. I make the quick change roll (so no one has seen how I transform yet), and instantly I have the avatar's, and every psychic's, attention for about a mile radius.
Now the avatar had taken a little damage. He was from 90% to 75% full SDC. I hit him twice, and then tried to pin him against the wall to force him to talk. The GM had me roll to pull punch and I got..... a 1. The Gm had me roll damage as normal, which made this the third hit. He was dead. And I don't mean just dead, it was more like MD on a squishy dead. I just about rolled high on every die, plus my damage bonus (remember, it's doubled), and then triple it. All Nightbane do triple damage to these guys. 3 freakin' hits!!!! :eek: :shock:
Scary, isn't it?

Return to “Nightbane®”