Transporting Guns to the Nightlands

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

That's just from other dimensions, not between the Earth and Nightlands. You wouldn't believe the kind of hardware the Beachhead has. }-> It was just a plot device to prevent bringing MDC items from Rifts into the setting.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Does that mean you CAN take things from other dimensions to Earth and then to the Nightlands?

No the effect is unique & in play both on Earth & the Nightlands, there so close on a dimesional scale its just like a pond, the ripple effect: It affects both the surface and the water under it. Thats why if a nuclear weapon goes off in one, it will ripple over to the other in the form of PPE backlash!

Enter either Earth or Nighlands with non-natural materials and watch em go.
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The whole idea is to keep mega-damage technology out of the Nightbane setting. However, it doesn't stop characters within the setting from creating and using S.D.C. super science. As a case in point, I adapted the phitynic perambulator technology from Beyond the Supernatural (1st Edition) for a pre-Dark Day campaign.

I had a descendant of the inventor of the technology rediscover it in the late 1980's after buying back the family manse. This descendant made his money in the same way as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates years before and poured his fortune into duplicating and improving this technology, which enabled dimensional and temporal travel. In 1989, one of the futures they found was that of Nightbane. The team that discovered it managed to return with a wealth of information, including how to get their technology to breach the Mirrorwall. Thus began the race against the clock to try and prevent Dark Day.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

Mike Taylor wrote:The whole idea is to keep mega-damage technology out of the Nightbane setting. However, it doesn't stop characters within the setting from creating and using S.D.C. super science. As a case in point, I adapted the phitynic perambulator technology from Beyond the Supernatural (1st Edition) for a pre-Dark Day campaign.

I had a descendant of the inventor of the technology rediscover it in the late 1980's after buying back the family manse. This descendant made his money in the same way as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates years before and poured his fortune into duplicating and improving this technology, which enabled dimensional and temporal travel. In 1989, one of the futures they found was that of Nightbane. The team that discovered it managed to return with a wealth of information, including how to get their technology to breach the Mirrorwall. Thus began the race against the clock to try and prevent Dark Day.

You know what, thats a really good idea! :P

Queue Evil Gm Laugh "Hahahahahaha"
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Mike Taylor

I do get those once in a blue moon. You are welcome to pilfer the idea for your own private campaign.

In this campaign, Tal-Agen-Va, the villainous sorceror from BTS 1st Edition, was an agent of the Nightlords and an archrival of the party's benefactor.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

I don't recall any mention of materials melting when entering the Nightlands, myself. Is that in a supliment, Rifts conversion thing, of a Rifter article?
Mike Taylor

Sanctu wrote:I don't recall any mention of materials melting when entering the Nightlands, myself. Is that in a supliment, Rifts conversion thing, of a Rifter article?

There is a magical barrier that keeps manufactured materials (be they synthetic fibers or mega damage armor plating) from crossing into the dimension occupied by the Nightbane setting. It is covered in Between the Shadows.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Quoth Mike, "...magical barrier that keeps manufactured materials ... from crossing into the dimension..."

This is for stuff from other games, such as Rifts. OK, it exists very specifically for Rifts, since bringing Mega damage causing/protecting tech would be completely unbalancing. It does not apply to stuff brought from Nightbane Earth to the Nightlands, and vice versa.

But as I re-read, I see all this was covered.

Now, you could have a house rule for this. It would certainly change the dynamic of the Nightlands a lot. No more Beachhead. The characters would be lamenting the lack of nylon, survival knives, car keys, etc. Does water count?

Personally, I was always fond of the Fringepaths. Strange, and it feels like something from Beyond teh Supernatural at the bigger triangle nexus areas.

Return to “Nightbane®”