Learning Talents

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Purchasing Talents

Unread post by Warwolf »

I believe that the purchase of additional talents can only be made during initial character creation. Think of it like the Bio-E system in TMNT. After you start playing that character, you can only get other talents through leveling. But that's just my interpretation.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

One caveat. Be careful with burning off PPE to get a new talent. You could end up with a Nightbane with lots of talents and very little power to fuel them with. I would also add that the acquisition of the new talent should tie in both with the personality of the Nightbane and the course of the campaign.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Peronsonally, I always interpretted as you could purchase the 2 Talents per level for perminant PPE at any time. The character focuses his inner being and scars it in to a shape they want.

I don't know why those who said this is possible mentioned a stressful situation. I've gotten that impression about actually changing to Morphus,but not Talent aquiring. My assumptions would have been that it would be easier in a calmer situation, and that many GM's might require this action requiring a few game days downtime for the character.

Personally, I liked how it was handled in the story Foxes and Shadows, where the main character simply took a few quiet moments focusing on what he wanted to be able to do, and then he felt the wrentch of loss as he aquired the Talent. (He then needed to actually use his Talent.) Like bracing yourself or preping yourself, but far more significant, and not something you can do all the time. (Indeed, only 2 times per level.)
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

I play it where when a bane reaches anew lvl of experience then can purchase up to 2 new talents for the perm. PPE required, I have allowed this to occur in game to allow for a more storytelling role to the talent instead of the stunted "I have gone up a lvl I can suddenly do this!" :)
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Learning Talents

Unread post by acreRake »

cyric wrote:According to the Nightbane rule book, Nightbane can learn free Talents at certain levels and can buy 2 Talents per level by permanently burning off PPE. Can they buy these Talents at any time or only when they are levelling up? Is it a spontaneaous discover, or do they train themselves to learn them?
First of all, the book specifically says that talents are not learned, they are wished for.

I would say that talents can be gained anytime, leveling up just indicates the Nightbane's control, power and maturity have reached a point where it is possible. I would guess it happens at leveling-up a lot, because the Nightbane has been trying to develop the desired power for a while, only now becoming able to. But if they don't want to gain a new talent, they don't have to (IMO).

From everything i can understand about gaining talents, they are "spontaneous", the Nightbane uses his will power to force him/herself into a new state of being (painfully/traumatically: she sacrifices a piece of her soul!)
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I've always allowed players to buy them when leveling up, but I must admit... allowing a spontaneous talent instead. That would be awesome.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I have allowed it any time between levels but when the player asks me can I buy x talent I say sure (unless they have reached the 2 per level already)
but then I got about creating an appropriate situation that would make it an in chara for them to aquire that talent.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

My group and I all agreed to getting up to 2 additional powers per level-max.
One of my players,War Bike (part Harley centauriod, part weapon-limbed killer) had bought 12 powers by 6th level* and was a bit unhappy at the loss of "juice" to fuel his "kewl powerz".
* One free + 2 more at 1st
+ 1 at 2nd
+ 2 at 3rd
One free +2 more at 4th
+ 2 at 5th
and + 2 at 6th= 12 Talents and spent about 65 PPE and only gained about 30-35 PPE from leveling up :oops:
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

GaredBattlespike, I'm laughing mightily. :D

Re: Learning Talents

Unread post by Guest »

cyric wrote:According to the Nightbane rule book, Nightbane can learn free Talents at certain levels and can buy 2 Talents per level by permanently burning off PPE. Can they buy these Talents at any time or only when they are levelling up? Is it a spontaneaous discover, or do they train themselves to learn them?

In the main book they inffer that Talents can be deliberatly gained (unknown mechinism & Unknown length of time spent gaining it), and in the heat of the moment gain just the talent needed just at the right time to use it.

However, the only NB GM I've played with only let ppl gain new (bought) talents, after they had "meditated" for about an hour or so, consentrating on getting the talent.

The only real limit on how many Talents you can buy is the Bane's PPE. The 2 per level is more of a sujestion then a hard and fast rule.

Return to “Nightbane®”