New Talent

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bigwhitehound

New Talent

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

Minor Talent: Great Mind
Cost: 30 PPE to acquire none to activate, constantly in effect.
Limitations : None is constantly in effect in both Morphus and Façade, but does not register as being a active talent.
Bonuses: Add 2D4 to IQ (min 17), 2D6 to ME (min 20) and 1D6 to MA (min15). Memory is equal to the Total Recall psionic power. :)
bigwhitehound

talent

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

I made it a constant talent so it would be a perment effect (a persons IQ, ME, MA should be constant). For the same reason I made the PPE cost 30.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Problem is, Talents in general don't seem to be perminant effect kind of things. And the really powerful ones, like being selectively invisible or traveling at lightning speed through cabling, is very expensive. Having free Total Recall after paying a ton for it in permanant PPE seems out of sync with all the other Talents I've seen written up.

Not that I'm opposed, mind you. It's just that we don't see any other examples of ones that are like that. I've often thought the Soul Shield Talent would be a good one to pay the extra perm PPE for to have it up all the time (maybe needing to pay to take it down for a while).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sounds like one of Ed's megolomaniace NB features in Rifter 20.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Sanctu wrote:Problem is, Talents in general don't seem to be perminant effect kind of things. And the really powerful ones, like being selectively invisible or traveling at lightning speed through cabling, is very expensive. Having free Total Recall after paying a ton for it in permanant PPE seems out of sync with all the other Talents I've seen written up.

Not that I'm opposed, mind you. It's just that we don't see any other examples of ones that are like that. I've often thought the Soul Shield Talent would be a good one to pay the extra perm PPE for to have it up all the time (maybe needing to pay to take it down for a while).

I agree Sanctu though I once modified Soul Shield and had the player spend a bit extra PPE when Aquiring it to make it Soul Shield auto since it reminded me of Mind block and I figured what that hell why not have Soul Shield Auto.
and it wasn't overbalancing at all. Just wish I could remember how much extra I made the player pay.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Quoth Marcethus, "...Soul Shield ... bit extra PPE ... make it...auto since it reminded me of Mind block"

My thoughts exactly :)

I read somewhere in someone's Rifts house rules that they allowed psychics to purchase perminant versions of psi-powers, basically the same way that you can have Mind Block Auto-Defense, you could have that (mind block) or others (like cold immunity, alter aura, etc.) the same way. You were restricted by how many of these you could do by what level of psychic you were (ie. minor psychics could have one such power; majors, two; and masters, three). The cost in perminant ISP was 2.5 times the basic amount -- the exact proportion that Mind Block Auto Defense cost in perminant ISP to Mind Block costing in regular ISP.

I really liked this rule myself. I think that in Nightbane it could, GM willing, make sense. Nightbane do have the power to, appearantly on the fly, perminantly scar themselves magically to give them extra powers, and it's very free form. Sacrificing more of yourself for the effect to impact you more (ie. in use always) does make sense for some things.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I think it was on dustin's now archived site. and no I don't have a link to it that I can find atm

Return to “Nightbane®”