Dark Conversions: What Kevin did to Nightbane.

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Unread post by Guest »

Not to mention how he Screwed with the stats... :x :x :x
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I noticed some of these mistakes, but didn't post about it because I really didn't care, and I never planned on using MDC rules ever. I would post my beliefs on such things when it comes to product quality, and the such... But, that would result in this thread being deleted. Also Nightbane is one of the coolest settings out there so I can't be all disloyal. Of course I really doubt they will ever release another Nightbane book worth anything.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

Not to mention there's no stats for Necrophim in the Dark Conversions book EVEN THOUGH THERE'S ONE ON THE COVER. Not that it bothers me.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

I've been of the opinion for the past 6 or 7 years that allowing Big Kev to publish/edit/write anything is a bad idea.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

benito pulatso wrote:Not to mention there's no stats for Necrophim in the Dark Conversions book EVEN THOUGH THERE'S ONE ON THE COVER. Not that it bothers me.

Yeah, there's no Dream Seller there either, but it has all the other Red Flame Demons in it?

Kevin's ideas where sound it's just that they obvious distract from the impression we get of dopplegangers, the nightlands and such like. Nice idea, good for rifts but I'll be playing my nightbane firmly with the rules in the main NB.

I want more NB books to come out god damn it!
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

I treat the Nightbane conversions for Rifts as part of a wholly different reality than that of the Nightbane game itself. Also, the earliest ads for Nightbane referred to the Nightlands as the Darklands and I believe the term even pops upin the main Nightbane RPG book once.

I would assume that the switch was made initially because Darklands is an old 1992 PC role-playing game by Microprose . I have no idea why Darklands appears so frequently in Dark Conversions, though.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Ed3 for Nightbane writer!

:lol: :lol:
Now that would be an exciting book.....though Misfit...don't let PK see you say that, he might have a fit...... :D He might have a fit at me for telling you that. mahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol:
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

It's too bad that most good writers for Nightbane don't last long.

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Where is this published? Was this in a new copy of Rifter or something?
Mike Taylor

Rifts: Dark Conversions is where it has been published, Sanctu.

However, I'd like to remind folks that the Nightbane material in Dark Conversions was altered for Rifts and does not in any way change the canon of the game it was derived from.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Check Rifter #7. Children of Domhain Dorcha. :D End shameless plug. End transmission.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Astroman wrote:I want a dimension book for both the Astral Plane and Dreamstream. There's so much unexploited stuff in there!!!

Just do what I do use the Between the shadows book for all systems
Marcethus
Champion

PoiuyWired wrote:
Marcethus wrote:
Astroman wrote:I want a dimension book for both the Astral Plane and Dreamstream. There's so much unexploited stuff in there!!!

Just do what I do use the Between the shadows book for all systems

That, and my all time Fav palladium book... Thru The Glass Darkly!@

Good book TtGD but not my favorite still very useful though.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Dimention Book My @$$ keep your Rifts Junk out of the good settings. I would rather have no new book other then "Between the Shadows" then a poorly writen rifts dimention book any day. Maybe an adventure book with adventures in the Astral palne and DS out lined there, with the ussual premade NPCs and such to give people (GMs) an Idea of how things in those places are so mutable.
Mike Taylor

Ben Quash wrote:Dimention Book My @$$ keep your Rifts Junk out of the good settings.

Ben, it's bad enough that there are system snobs in the gaming community. Let's not add setting snobs to that. Any setting can be a good setting with the right GM.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I'm not a big fan of Rifts because I am more often than not the GM, and it's difficult to keep players in line during character creation.

Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Specter wrote:I'm not a big fan of Rifts because I am more often than not the GM, and it's difficult to keep players in line during character creation.

Ah the rift days, I knew them well. Thats what I like about bane, you "generally" have the group situated in one city so you can build relations between them, factions and in some cases the enemy.

In rifts, well.......:frust:
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
--Faraday's Law# 99

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Player 1: I want to play a Dragon Borg

Player 2: I want to play a psi-slayer

Player 3: I want to play a mega juicer Glitterboy pilot with M.O.M. Implants

GM: You really can't do that Player 3

Player 3: But, the book says...!

GM: You would die...

Player3: Why?

GM: Bcause of the pencil I'm going to shove into your eyeball

Player 3: oh.

GM: Find something else

GM: Now where do you want to start?

Player 1: Japan

Player 2: South America

GM: Well, which is it?

Player 1: Dragon Borgs are only in Japan!

Player 2: My character is a vampire slayer! It says it right there on my character sheet! Most vampires are in Mexico!

GM: I'm sure there are vampires in Japan.

Player 2:But, it just wouldn't be the same!

GM: For Christ's sake!

Player 3: I finished rolling up my new character. I can play an adult dragon right?

Mike Taylor

I didn't mean for this thread to derail like it has. I think Ben has gotten the point.
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Tyciol wrote:The lack of a dream seller is because Kevin wants to deny the existance of the Dreamstream, the Astral Plane is his only baby, and even that was pretty much made by CJ.

The Astral Plane is a nice thing to play with, but the dreamstream can go.
Marcethus
Champion

Every time I have tried to GM the dreamstream it has flopped. I can't seem to get the chaotic nature of the stream right. Methinks I will use something from a book I read to reflect the world of Dreams.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

It is v hard to capture the nature of the dreamstream, Dream pools are not as bad because they are at least partially order, though still chaotic.

The film fear & Loathing in Las Vegas makes a good example of a someones dream pool, it has order but marred with chaos.
--Faraday's Law# 99

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Astroman wrote:I like to use examples from surreal comics like Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. Anything that's just weird will suffice. It's a nice break from everything having to make sense, but that's just me.

As much as I like John Byrnes' Doom Patrol, I much enjoyed Grant Morrisons' run on the book.
The Butterfly Collector, The Brotherhood of Dada, Crazy Jane, Rhebis, Stuart the sentient street, Flex Mentallo...>sigh<
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Actually, the first MPD goes to either the Hulk, or Eclipso (although, you could rule, rightly, that Eclipso was not a "hero").
Also, can't forget Mike Barons' great character, The Badger. Nine personalities altogether.
I suppose you could also call Dr Fate an MPD, since Nabu took over when the helmet went on, but both personas were aware of each other, and most often cooperated.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

The whole Rifts problem can depends both on the players and the GM.

I've been in games where our power levels are vastly differnt. You have the Glitterboy and the Psi-Stalker in the same party, and the power levels are just so vastly different that it makes this difficult to run. I've been in another game where we were all a tad stilted... the Mind Mage's player was pointing out just how draining it was for him to do Mega Damage (losts of ISP), while my Burster could do it all day. But we evened things out a tad with equiptment (GM powered, tweeking the 'weeker' ones with some extra stuff), and were all eager to role-play stuff, and talk in character about working as a team, and things went very well.

I've been in games where the munchkins have made their terrifying or rule-laywered characters, and it's been ok, because the GM has had enough going on in the game to make it interesting for everyone. I've seen games wher the power gamers are bored silly, because the point for the evening was all social interaction, and they were not ment for anything but combat. Sure, you're a big, scary, furry, shape changing homonculus with magic weapons who can turn whole mercenary units into a pile of julian fries in 3.5 seconds, but it doesn't really help during the royal ball... and you were told to make a character who could fit into a court setting because we'd be starting from there.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Still, it's not how it is in the Nightbane book, there the Hound Masters have more SDC than the Hounds themselves. That should've carried over.

I was very very disappointed in the way the Nightbane conversion was handled. They stated the Nightlands were connected to every world that had humans on it (or at least, every Earth with Humans). That makes for a lot of dopplegangers in the Nightlands. How big is that place, anyway, if it has all those dopplegangers?

Nightbane is a very cool game, one that I regret dismissing when I first heard about it. I bought the Dark Conversions book for the sole purpose of having this "official" conversion, and was sorely disappointed.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Nightbane®”