Nightspawn Samurai

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 29

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

No. I want as little contamination between my Facade and my Morphos as possible.

My Facade is how I do my business. Sneaking, rigging bombs, back stabbing, gathering Info, and causing trouble. I need it to be as clean and as unlike my Morphos as possible.

My Morphos is just what happens after I say "Oh ****."
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

an anicent nighbane might be one, also if your running a historical campaign then certain occ's should be allowed
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

A player could design a 'modern samurai' Morphus form, since the character seems to somehow influence what style/form the Morphus takes upon First Becoming. While it would be not exactly a classical Samurai from the Fudal Era (unless you were playing an ancient 'Bane stuck in a rut, running a scenario in that time period or a mentally-challenged 'Bane who honestly believed he or she were a Samurai), it can still be done, as long as the GM permits.

I myself had an idea for a Templar Doppleganger Warlord who refused to use 20th/21st century weapons, until he saw how effective they truly were.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Adapt yes but that doesn't mean they forget skills they learn.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I voted yes, and I think the Idea of a NightBane Samurai is kinda cool.
Using all the various books that I do, it would be easy to have such a character.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Marcethus
Champion

Where do you get the idea that they would forget skills that they learned?
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Tyciol, what are you talking about with "forgetting skills?" Do you mean when people change into Morphus form, or simply over time? The former doesn't happen in Nightbane. The latter, while a quaint little knee jerk reaction and nod to real life, isn't taken into account in ANY game system I've seen, save maybe PsiWorld. For all of them, even older skills are like treated like that "riding a bicycle" parable. It's up to the GM to impose difficulties on something you haven't done for several centuries. Hard to say if NightBanes would fall into that category, too, since they are near-immortals after their Becoming. I'm guessing they would, since all thier thought processes seems to very human.

I might allow something like this if we were playing a historical game that crossed that time period. But for someone playing a level one character in modern day? No.

Edit: related note, since it was asked, "Do you take OCCs that work equally well for both sides of your personality?"

Both sides of your personality? NightBane have no more sides of their personality than any human does. They have two physical forms they shift between, and they can accidentally shift to their Morphus if emotionally wig out, but their mental stuff is all the same. They get some combat bonuses and an instinctual martial arts style in Morphus, but other than that everything I've seen and read says that NightBane are essentially the same person when they shift forms. That's kind of part of the point to NightBane: you are a monster, but only on the outside. On the inside you are no more so that a human. Of course, some people are monsters on the inside, and many change based on their own assumptions and experiences.

Your OCC represents you as a whole. Having one is pretty much all-inclusive and consumming -- which is why you can't "multi-class" in Palladium games. (Although you can change classes, but that represents a complete life-style change for you, not just a expension of skills.) If you do other unrealted things as well, there are plenty of options in your many skill selections to represent that.

If you find that you shift into some kind of fighting thing, and you then taylor your life to something that includes that, say by joining the Warlords or just going to a lot of self-defense classes and practicing a lot, then sure your OCC could reflect that. Personally, I'd still constrain you to modern day things, though. Just because you transform into a Samarai warrior in your Morphus doesn't mean that you are a Samarai OCC.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes No Sometimes Sometimes Not...most of the time the OCC or Skills set is what they learned Before they had their Becoming. And I ussully use the PSI's (main book) skill set as a genaric skills set for any char to use.
Marcethus
Champion

Hell I have had a Nightbane that has no hand to hand form in facade. And it was kinda cool.
Marcethus
Champion

actually it would give his Facade an Advanced form of MA but the Morphus is stuck with HTH standard MA it's a natural Combat ability (some GM's may argue that but IIRC it does say something along those lines in the books when it concerns itself with N&S)
Marcethus
Champion

Technically, a 'bane could learn it when they are young since most MA forms start at a young age.
Marcethus
Champion

All depends on how it's handled. though Not saying I would allow such a thing
Marcethus
Champion

Other than the emulating real life part that's what I said tyc.
Marcethus
Champion

I can see that
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Was what he/she was talking making an occ samurai or a nightbane with the feel for it. I could see nightbane that looked like samurai in great armour as long as the facade was (like some people I know) obsessed then. bio-mecanical armor. no problem, but (alway on of those) being an ancient night bane samurai is imposable(and i hate that word) for know other reason than nightbane are always orphans and samurai are a class you a born to in a very ridged society. the best a orphan could hope for is during war time doing really well and being made yo- jimbo. (i think i spelled that wrong) or trusted body guard. As for a modern nightbane living by the way bushido looking like and tyring to be a samurai. i think it would be great
8)
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

take marshal arts
and WP sword

also their are skills in rifts japan you would like
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

Tyciol wrote:No, ancient people adapt.

tyciol for god sakes, NO, don't give comments out like you're the expert. You're not. You're one of those people who are safe in their own insanity.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

Nightbanes from japan could be samurai, but there is NO material on Asia in Nightbane Setting yet asside from the fact that Chinese fake immortals Exist and they operate just fine, and that ancient banes treated humans like chattel
and that there is great animosity between old banes and supernatural humans.

so while it's not impossible for a bane to learn ( HAND TO HAND ZANJIShijuken ryu) they ARE afterall, nearly immortal, and can actually learn all the martial arts given enough time... They are usually

1. killed Often
2. Killed before being too powerful
3. killed by Reshapers who don't want their offspring being too uppity.
4. targeted by Monstrous mages and Monstrous monsters or driven insane.

An Astral Lord could be a samurai, but why would he?
it would simply be a change of Occs.hh

heck an Astral lord will likely just CHEAT and make his domain make him a Masterful Samurai in it then take the long route.

Return to “Nightbane®”