Astral Domain Loophole

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Astral Domain Loophole

Unread post by acreRake »

I was thinking of designing a new astral domain (or possibly a Kingdom) when i looked at the "Sizes," blurb and saw this:
CJ wrote:The same size can be purchased more than once to make the domain bigger.
Well, friends and posters, take a gander at entry #1 "Tiny." While basically the size of a 4' by 4' by 6' closet, it costs Zero (0) Points!

One solution: pay nothing for the first one, then one (1) point for each additional?

Even if i charged one (1) point for "Tiny" you still save points by buying three Tinies over one "Small".

Thoughts? Solutions? Flames?

edit: apparently spellchecka.exe thinks "blub" is a word :nh:
acreRake
Hero

gadrin wrote:my version says: Tiny costs 50 PPE (and gives 50 Creation points). It's also defined as "small one bedroom apartment".

My Between the Shadows is 1st printing, January 1996.

The Spatial Mage in Rifter #3 only pays 10 PPE for his "tiny" domain.
I think you are looking at "Size & Creation Points."
I was looking across the page under "Characteristics and Features of a Domain" B. Size. Which, now that i look at it is really odd/dumb to list two different ways to tell how big a domain is.
Tyciol wrote:Further purchases may make it bigger, but they won't give more creation points.
I don't think i understand. My point is that since Size: Tiny costs Zero (0) Creation Points, you could purchase it, like, an infinity of times with out ever paying for it.

Maybe i've been looking at it wrong all along? When you cash in your PPE for Creation Points, you get the default size (pg 54), and then on table "B" (pg 55) you add to that?

My book is 2nd printing...
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Sorry not sure if I can help you there since mine is First printing and says Cost: 20 PPE and Creation points: 50
I do Agree that any paying extra for the size would not give you increased creation points.
Marcethus
Champion

Well it's not unbalancing to allow additional purchases of size it's just that I guess according to a second printing a Tiny domain has zero cost and that's the issue lol.
acreRake
Hero

Did you (guys) miss the above post where i made it clear that i wasn't talking about "1. Tiny Domain" under "Size and Creation Points" (pg 54) but was in fact looking at "B. Size" under "Characteristics and Features" (pg 55)?

Cause it seems like you did.

(i'll probably change the price to "2", and use table B. to add to the size given in "Size and Creation Points")
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I've always thought the stuff in the first step were examples of these costly domains. Even in the Small Domain option, it mentions it can be a larger domain than the first, or a tiny one with more defenses and elements involved. I wouldn't agree these are the size bases, just examples of what is usually done with the creation points given by certain payments of PPE.

As to the Size option. Well, I just wouldn't let it fly. It's only broken if the GM lets it be that way.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Marcethus
Champion

Ok so I missed the part where it was said that it was talking about size and I agree with twist that it's not something that can be repeatedly bought since it doesn't cost the minimum I would allow would be the one for 5 and you could keep buying that one. But that is just my call as a GM
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Tyciol wrote:Your theory is wrong.

It says you can purchase the same option multiple times right?

You can't purchase something without spending something.

Therefore, the statement does not apply to the 0 creation post cost area. That is simply the default size of all astral realms.

That's what you think...last time I purchased a "0" cost item, it cost me almost $15 in taxes! :lol:

As for the size thing...I can't say. Been too long since I read it.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Astral Domain Loophole

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

acreRake wrote:I was thinking of designing a new astral domain (or possibly a Kingdom) when i looked at the "Sizes," blurb and saw this:
CJ wrote:The same size can be purchased more than once to make the domain bigger.
Well, friends and posters, take a gander at entry #1 "Tiny." While basically the size of a 4' by 4' by 6' closet, it costs Zero (0) Points!

One solution: pay nothing for the first one, then one (1) point for each additional?

Even if i charged one (1) point for "Tiny" you still save points by buying three Tinies over one "Small".

Thoughts? Solutions? Flames?

edit: apparently spellchecka.exe thinks "blub" is a word :nh:

Actually I noticed this and mentioned it once...
my solution is allow them to select option A as many times as the wish until it equals the same size as option B at which time they must pay option B's cost...
cruel ain't I? :demon:
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
acreRake
Hero

Angryjack wrote:only way I'd allow size 0 to be bought multiple times is if more then one person contributed to the astral pool. So that means at 0 PPE , each person would offer 50 Creation points to the astral Domain.
after that every PPE point offered later will grant more CP at 1:1 ratio.
I was with you right up to "only" :?

[In other words: "What?"]

Are you suggesting that 0 PPE can somehow equal 50 creation points?
acreRake
Hero

:lol: :lol: Answer accepted!
acreRake
Hero

What's "size 0"? :-?
acreRake
Hero

So... all this time, you were not only talking about something completely different, but also something you made up/changed.

Well :erm: ...thanks?
acreRake
Hero

No,
"Size & Creation Points: 1. Tiny Domain: ...Permanent PPE Cost: 20; Available Creation Points: 50"

/still irrelevant
Marcethus
Champion

Check what your looking at Angryjack, I have first printing that says under
Size and Creation Tiny Domain 20PPE 50 CP
Then under characteristics and features Size it says Tiny 0PPE for a 100 cubic foot size

Now at first I thought we were talking about the creation of the domain. then it was brought to my attention that we were talking about size so which is it?

and My book is First printing Jan 96
acreRake
Hero

Marcethus wrote:...so which is it?
Well the thread is about "B. Size" under Characteristics and Features, AJ has only been talking about Size & Creation Points as far as i can tell.

So far i like the suggestions of First using the vague sizes given under Size and Creation and then using the "loophole"-containing SiZE prices for adding to a domain DURING CREATION. Additionally i like Damian Magecraft's idea RE: the real price of the thing.

/"Now, sir. This is happening now."
Marcethus
Champion

Ok that's what I thought.

and I like the damian's idea as well about being able to up grade till you get to the size of the next level then having to spend the 5 PPE

Return to “Nightbane®”