NB: 2085

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Avenger
Wanderer

NB: 2085

Unread post by Avenger »

A game setting has been kicking around in my head for awhile. I wanted a post apocalyptic setting with high tech and high magic. Rifts is ok but I don’t like the MD system, don’t like the stats on the robots and what not, and it would be nice if a human had a small chance when facing down something SN. The setting would have enough freedom that you would run into little trouble carving out your own small criminal empire but the big political powers aren’t sloppy. I ended up with something that is a combination of NB/BtSN/MC with a pinch of HU and N+SS.

The rough idea is that somehow earth and the nightlands merged, a few nukes got fired, general chaos all around. The sky became greyer, the nights longer, the deserts larger, mass starvations happened and the number of cities got fewer. This weakened the nightlords control of things as they were more isolated from each other, their organization a mess, and enemies of both worlds now in one. The various anit nightlord factions in north America gained ground against the Nightlords there until Moloch focused on NA. The first real blow came as a surprise to everyone when the Yama kings invaded and took over china almost overnight. A war was attempted to retake china however it boiled down into a stalemate. Because of the unfair distribution of casualties in the war, and the subsequent loss of minions, Lord.. (the guy who is in control of the Russian federations) declared him and his followers independent of Moloch’s faction. Meanwhile the ADA managed to free up a large part of north America due to the faction focusing solely on that area. At this time Moloch’s forces started to fragment with each part trying to secure their own power base. Eastern Europe was absorbed by the new NL faction, Europe fell mostly to the vamps, with the nocturnes battling it out there. The mid east is in control of the Stragoti vamps ( the alternate kind from Shadows of light). Also you have a… well, not a nation but loose coalition of jewish/Christian/catholic/muslem cities and towns around the Mediterranean with the Templar keeping out undead and other SN things. Yama kings in control of china, Immortal headed Korea, and maybe Taiwan demon controlled. Can’t forget the hell riders taking over most large gangs and having a base in Mongolia ;). The ADA, after taking over most of the US went on to liberate the rest of NA and central America. Maybe Japan/UK/and Sweedenish areas to. The ADA is in control of the government though you have some sort of democracy going on. Organized crime and corporations are also pretty powerful to. Thinking of having Africa being in a constant war between the red flame demons, deevils, and demons. Not sure about south America but maybe having the races from Manhunter there, as sort of genetically tailored beings.

Technology, at least in the ADA controlled places, went up by leaps and bounds. Weapons and vehicles could be taken from Aliens Unlimited. Sonic and ion weapons along with ramjets and flexisteel armor would help out a lot on those nasty SN critters. You have all those weird weapons like the razor freebie, wrist blasters, and energy swords to sell to the roaming gangs. Exosketons and power armor could be helpful. Robots for those UAVs. Jet/Roater craft and hover tanks to. Lots of variety and powerful weapons (but not atomization from a glancing blow). Cybernetics from N+SS are fairly available and some of the really large megacities might have a cyberpunkish thing going on. (Manhunter Sims in the MKII Ultra program with cybernetic implants make nice quickly grown ADA agents, muahahaha)
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

This sounds like a great idea man take it and run like the dickens with it
Oh and Lord Mocker is the nightlord in control of Russia and is the only other nightlord to be linked to the Dark just as Moloch is
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

sounds kinda fun...
the mirrorwall is shattered i take it? (perhaps the nightlands only exists as a handful of pocket dimentions, seemingly isolated from eachother... )

and with the energy of the world in flux, you could take aways the "impervious to non SN weapons" bit from most of the monsters,
makeing it possible to combat them with conventional tactics..

with the distortions in reality you could easilly say that, while key features don't seem to change, distances do,
particularly at night,
during the daylight, the "nightlands" aspect of the world is somewhat supressed,
the damage is visible, but doesn't seem so bad...
but as the night comes, things twist and distort, this includes the terrains..

there are "Night Zones" .. places where the wall between the two is exceptionally damaged...
during the day they appear as the husks of the old cities, or open wilderness (places where the Nukes hit?) but during the night this melts away into the hellish land of the nightlands...
people caught in the between times (dusk and dawn) in these areas are disoriented as reality twists around them (save vs insanity?) and often assaulted by the strange creatures brought back into this world from the other side...
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Excellent idea. The only time i ever considered merging the nightlands and earth was during the day of the coming of the rifts. Your story has ALOT of great stuff in it. I hope your scenario works out for ya.
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

dpad_dragoon wrote:A very unique idea, that game sounds like it has great potential.
Mix it in with sinestus's ideas and youve got one of the better game ideas ive seen for NightBane.

I might use some of your ideas as well Sinestus, if you dont mind.

no worries,
some one might as well... i have way too many campeign ideas that rarely see the light of day...

Return to “Nightbane®”