Casting a Nightspawn TV show

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

A regular Guardian; like spike was a regular baddie... if we are going Palladium based then Burgerface should be a main character. This show would be really high budget to be good though.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
gaby
Knight

Casting a Nightspawn TV show

Unread post by gaby »

Well are the characters members of the Nightbane,s Resistance?

What City do you set it in?

I wood Make 4 of the 6 nightbane 1 magic human and 1 Psychic human.

The team will meet other Factions from time to time.

The Ongoing Bad Guys are the Night Prince of the city and his Minions.

What do you think about my idea?
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Maybe a human priest? Not to be cliche, but it would cool to touch on the religious sides of things esspecially when faced with the threats of vampires.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Rule # 1; Let gamers be on the writing staff. You have to have someone who at least is familiar with the game's premise, rather than some passing vague idea (as was with Kindred-The Embrace).

Rule #1-a: DO NOT LET SPELLING TOUCH IT! again, I site the aforementioned "Vampire-90201" series.

Rule 1-b; The licencees have ABSOLUTE CONTROL. While most of us remember vividly the legal fiascos instigated by a certain comic-character-creator over variations of said character's name, Creator-Controll is still one of the more intelligent moves ever done. You don't want to wait nearly 50 years for your royalties, as Siegal & Shuster did over Superm@n.

Rule #2: Go for at least two tv-movies, establishing the story & characters. Have it produced by a network that has at least an idea of the genre, like SciFi Channel. Cable is your best bet. Network TV is too restrictive. You have a better chance at syndication with cable, not to mention VHS & DVD rights. :D

Rule #3; Blend all available tech into it. Live action is great, but can only do so much. CGI enhancement, yes. But anything over 50%, and you might as well go either all animated or full CGI. (BTW; if you do go full-CGI, go with Mainframe, the people who made ReBoot.)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

I would definitely set it in the Windy City! Not that I'm biased, mind you. ;) I agree with keeping the number of factions pared down, at least initially.

As a twist on the repentant monster theme, I'd throw in a Night Prince who has been having second thoughts on his support of King Moloch. He still isn't a noble hero by any means, but he's trying very hard to get there. Of course, this character would end up dying as an act of repentance for his past sins.

Another twist, drawn from my own gaming experiences, would be for one of the "human" characters to discover he was really a Doppleganger. Then have the real guy hunting for the Doppleganger, in hopes to kill it for ruining his life.

Now, if you had a sufficient budget, who would you cast in this show and why? Remember that this is a TV show, so big screen stars should be kept to cameos or season finales.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I think the Nocturnes would make a great main faction for such a show
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

The pilot should center around Dark Day and show us 1) a young kid being transformed into a Nightbane and 2) chaos and mayhem around the world.

I would base the main plot in Los Angeles, but there should be other cities in the US as well as Europe/Asia and Africa for a change.

after a few episodes there should be a Nightlands-episode.

Burgerface is a must.

keep the Vampire Threat out of the plot until Season 2.

oh, boy, this would be great. alas, its not gonna happen.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

I was just going to post something about the pilot handling Dark Day. While you could potential do the flash back thing, I think it would work far better for the pilot to have our main characters (not a single hero-based game like Angel or most such shows) all be like starting pre-change characters. They probably all know each other, but might not all know that they are all adopted, etc. A heafty chunk of the Pilot, possibly even the first half (assuming the pilot is at least double-length) would be establishing the normal lives of the people, with background seeding. Then Dark Day hits, chaos insues.

Everyone keeps saying "What city should it be in?" but this confusses me. I would think the story would at least start in a smaller town/city somewhere, much like recommended in the book. Being in a big city, roaming around on Dark Day in morphus form, would be a death sentance for our heros and something that would pull them into the fry VERY fast. Not that you couldn't do this, mind you, but my own thoughts would be a slightly slower ramp-up time.

You could start them in high school easily. In fact, this is what is mentioned in the main book. You don't have to, though. The characters could all easily be the same age and in the same college, or live in the same area, or work in the same town, etc. They may or may not know each other ahead of time, although it might work best if some do, and possibly know that they were adopted through the same agency. (I myself have found myself in a house where all the people were born on the same year and all adopted by Catholic charities. Strange, but it happens, even un-intentionally.)

What faction seems obvious to me: the Underground... at least at first. Remember: the Resistance started some time after Dark Day as an off shoot of the Underground. I think it would be sad not to miss the chance to have the characters in contact with them while the division is happening. Not that the characters couldn't move on or what-not, mind you.

Non-banes should be few to none for regular characters, although I can easily see a psychic in the mix, and perhaps a Guardian that the characters meet later.

The biggest problem is, of course, the effects budget. An animated series could work well, becaus ethen you really aren't restricted to what the characters can become and do. Nightbane by defintion will be rather high-strees on the budgets of a live action show, though. The most likely people to do it would be the Sci-Fi channel, and while they do some stuff, having anything too out there wouldn't happen, or woudl lead to our heros not changing very often. I can almost see a "Buffy"-like moment, though...

char one: "Why do all the realy monsterous ones look like something ina plastic suit?"
char two: "Maybe they all watched too many B-movies as a kid. Or maybe it's just us, the observers, who watched too many of them."
char one: "Remember that Eye Creature one? The original?"
char two: "Yeah. We all watched it in your dad's garage wit that old antena."
char one: "I keep thinking of that, where the monsters all look better in the dark. We've become that: creatures who look better if you only catch a glipse of us, other-wise we just look silly."
char two: "I don't know. Being able to make booze flow from your fingers sounds pretty cool, though."
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

As far as budgetary considerations goes, my vote goes for animation. "Serious" animated series - both anime and domestically produced - are finally gaining enough respect in the US for it to be a possibility.

Oh, yeah. And cast Keith David for something. Or else. Maybe Burger-Face. And assuming it's animated, keep Jim Cummings away from it...
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

With all due respect to Chicago, I think Philadelphia or Boston might make better locations. They seem (to me) to have a greater sense of history. Besides, you could make so many parallels with the war for Independance. Maybe even have NB from the time period.

Not to turn it into Dark Shadows...

or a Special Unit 2. (though i liked that show.....)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I think you should start off with 2 or three prechange night banes and have them undergo it's becomeing and Dark day and their joining/forming the resistance after they've met the UR and begun to understand what and who they are. Have one of them be Burger Face and the others be unknown but have one of their contacts be an elder Nightspawn Sorcerer...

Then after maybe half a season of so, have them encounter an amnesiac Guardian whom they befriend and who is new( or "just made"-if you will)...

Slowly build up the team as they encounter people. So that where you start with 2 or 3 banes then you add in another bane(maybe a Bane-sorcerer) and Guardian(in a rare episode with vampires, maybe the first time they encounter them) and then may be a human psychic. Each of whom is added encountered during an episode and then laters joins the team a few episode down the line. Sort of like Gunn(Gaah!!!-get better name though) or Fred was added in.
And while your at it, have the banes go in different directions, have one learn sorcery, while another goes talent happy(and has problems with not having enough "juice" to power them), and another just keeps to one or 2 talents while never worrying about "juice"(but worries that maybe they aren't as versatile as the other ones).
Maybe even add in a Living Nightmare join after a character dies. One based on an enemies nightmares about the now deceased character.
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I also vote for the animated option, there's no other way to really get all the special effects that this will have without a mega budget.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

less bio-mechanical ppl, just one is needed...

We Need a ::
(a) Huge Hulking Monster of some kind, maybe mixed with animal features too...Lizard-Croc Man but Hulking muscles...maybe even is made out of crystal or rocks....

(b) a Skeletal Stigmata NB *played by a Puppet/CGI-enhanced*
a Goth in Human form, really freaked out about his new condition.
Acting tough and dark and gloomy is thing, but becoming it persoified...ewww

(c) a Gender-Bender type...Attractive, too attractive, but their human form is of the opposite gender ;)
Still has the Opposites gender voice though...good for laughs

(d) an Owl-Girl...Wereform type with Wings on her back.
She seems stuck in her NB form, she secrety doesnt want to turn back, so her fanily wont find her...abusive parents maybe
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

TechnoGothic wrote:(c) a Gender-Bender type...Attractive, too attractive, but their human form is of the opposite gender ;)
Does this person date a guy whose morphus is a scrawny monarch butterfly? :lol:
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Lord High RICO Statute wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:(c) a Gender-Bender type...Attractive, too attractive, but their human form is of the
Does this person date a guy whose morphus is a scrawny monarch butterfly? :lol:

:fl:
:quiet:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Nightbane®”