Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Fudging Skills
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:54 pm

D-Bee

No, not talking about making fudge.

Over the weekend I played (yes, actually PLAYED for a change instead of GMed) in a group where the GM sort of edited character sheets. Basically he asked to see the character sheets of the two people (including me) that hadn't gamed with him before and asked us about the character's history. After telling him, he made changes to our skill sheets. One character grew up working in her uncle garage, and he automatically gave her basic and auto mechanics, and took away her computer skills. On the other character, the GM lowered the Intelligence skill and jumped the Strategy and Tactics skill. There were some other changes, with about ten skills per character being either taken out, added, or modified.

I've never seen this before. I play a really tight game where the "dice don't lie". Not sure how I feel about it. Anyone else ever run into this?

The reason I'm posting this here instead of the GM's forum is because the real question that got side tracked.

Sorcerous Proficiencies. Like them? Use them? Make changes to them?

I'm just starting to use them in my game and I'm looking for tips.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:47 am

Hero

our main GM has given us skills before as bennys based on how well our character backgrounds were but as taking them away the only thing ive ever seen that comes close to that is hes asked a few times to have us switch out some over-kill skills (all physical skills or all wp's etc) to round the character out a little bit but to outright change the skills without discussion is a whole nother matter an IMHO he deserves to be jack-slapped or beaten with something blunt and big for a few minutes

Lynx

Sentinel wrote:
I'm tired of being mature all the time.
I want to be a small, petty, spiteful bitter man, just once.
Marrowlight wrote:
I'm really impressed and officially dub you 10 Limited Edition Marrow Points.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:08 am

D-Bee

Man that would totaly **** me off as a player. As a GM I have never strait up done that, (Although I have asked players not to take certain skills or powers for certain games).

He simply changes your character with out your approval?

WOW. I would tell him that I find it inapproachably wrong and not let him do it. (Although I may be willing depending on his approach and reasons to make the changes myself).

I would rather not play or play in a different game than play a character that someone else has raped in that manner.

Ignore The Rules They Are There To Inhibit Your Fun.
AND Remember the rules are actually only guidelines not laws.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:23 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: The Emolancer
..I think this belongs in the GM's forum, not just for GM's but for mechanics issues too. If a mod moves it, sticky my character sheet thread too.

..I know what you mean, that's raw.

..Example. I became aware of an online game and wanted to join. The GM informed me that it was going to be hardcore evil characters.

..I had a D'norr Devilman Shifter that I wanted to play, but it was, like most of his race, a good character.

..So I worked up a backstory of how he had been captured by the Splugorth and exposed to the rift that alters your alignment and gives you psionics. I didn't want the psionics, just a chance to play the character without as was said 'raping' it.

..The GM hadn't heard of the Rift and suggested that I was trying to power game by giving him those powers. I was slighted, as most here know my favorite classes are the Normal Human and the Vagabond. So I suggested that he was captured by enemies and tortured, then brainwashed to think he was evil. Eventually I'd have Zurvan be his supernatural connection and that would free his true mind, giving him the added pathos of being a good person with a dark past.

..The GM wouldn't go for it and insisted to play the character I had to change him to be evil from the start. I couldn't do it, the character was good.

..I joined another game by that GM and although I've nearly died twice for playing in character, the game is going alright.

-Mike >8[

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.