Moloch's Darkslayer

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

If you, as a Nightlord, or your minions came upon something that could potentially destroy you, wouldn't you want to keep a very close eye on something like that? He doesn't use the weapon so much as keep it out of the hands of enemies.

The thought also occurs to me that he might, through intermediaries, let the device slip into the hands of unknowing adventurers who could be manipulated into using the weapon to eliminate a troublesome underling.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

are you 100% sure that the use of a greatest artifact *REQUIRES* one to become a Sword Bearer? it looks to me that calling to a Sword Bearer is the "classic" way for such an artifact to go about its goal of continuing the war, but that it could actually "choose" anyone whom it wishes to help it, even such beings as did not wish to devote their whole life to serving the artifact. If Lord Moloch has managed to convince his Dark Destroyer that it is better for it to serve destroying *some* creatures of the Dark - in his hands - than being kept locked away and seeing those it would call be destroyed even before reaching it... why would the thing not agree?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Haha... because with out him possessing something that can destroy him how can you pull a Beowolf with your PCs? Spotting the sword in the demons lair and grabbing it to slay the demon which normal steel didn't work so hot on.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Serving the Greater good? Lord Moloch? Far from me such an idea.

I was only trying to find a way, however weird and far fetched, to reconcile the fact that Lord Moloch is apparently commiting a lewdly perverse and impossible act.

Also trying to find a window for PCs to be able to find and use such objects without having to turn into little more than living extensions of the object (because, I guess you've come to the same conclusion, this is the essential nature of the Swordbearer OCC)

and I did not mean Moloch would *exterminate* beings less evil than him... just commit some "politica situationl adjustments" according to need... not to mention that his wielding such a weapon would most certainly increase his Horror Factor among those members of his side that have reason to fear His Wrath. Also I wonder if His being bonded to the Dark might not make him an exception amon Nightlords... but the whole idea, is that the weapon did not truly *choose* Moloch in the conventional, usual sense, but would have been prevailed upon to accept coming into His possession, as the somewhat lesser of two evils.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Just as an adventure seed: Perhaps the enigmatic Lord Mocker is the GREATER of the two Nightlord evils, or has the potential to become so.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

of course the books may directly contradict me, but who cares. I paid for them, they are my books now and I reserve the right to pencil in any sections I want.

My view of Greatest Artifact Weapons is that they are sentient and self aware. While the vast majority are good, they can be corrupted to the ways of evil like any being with a free will can.

The Greatest Artifact chooses who to share their powers with and when.

The Sword Bearer OCC is basically a character who's only OCC power is his bond with one of these Greatest Artifacts.

So, yes Moloch can wield a dark destroying Greatest Artifact. There are in text examples of Foulseed and Moloch with other Greatest Artifacts (The teleport thingy for Foulseed, and the Mirror for Moloch).
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Moloch's Mirror is the thing that lets him commune with the Dark.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The swordbearer is the only OCC to START with an artifact weapon.

anyone can use one if the sword lets them.

even nightlords.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

the dark destroyer is one of the 4% of all greastest artifacts That are evil, in this case it's diabolic, with an IQ of 17, so I'm not sure that King Moloch has to do much convincing for the sword to let him use it, I mean the sword now finds himself in the hands of the most evil being next to the dark, how better to further it's cause. plus the alignment restrictions on the sword bearer occ leads me to believe that evil (other then aberrant) artifacts don't chose champions and allow them selfs to be used by whoever can do the most damage. a good artifact would only allow itself to be used by someone it knows has the same goals and moral befiefs with would require a bond. aka sword bearer occ

I guess, but only Carella would know for sure
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Hi, I'm new here can anyone give me a description of the swordbearer occ and the powers of some artifacts.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

blade76 wrote:Hi, I'm new here can anyone give me a description of the swordbearer occ and the powers of some artifacts.

first of all, really, you should get the Nightlands book--great book overall, not just for the swordbearer).

anyway: General powers of Artifacts include:

limited negation of magic
limited spellcasting abilites
granting physicical boosts to bearer
firing magical attacks
providing protection.
disguising themselves as something other than a weapon

and that's just for starters--now, not all artifacts have all powers

and the swordbearer is basically just a skill set to give someone who has one of these weapons
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

could you post an example of an artifact,to give me a general idea of the powers and abilities of these weapons?
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

You know rune weapons from Rifts? Yeah, they're pretty much like that. Beyond that, buy the book.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Beelzebozo wrote:You know rune weapons from Rifts? Yeah, they're pretty much like that. Beyond that, buy the book.

not even similar to Rune weapon powers other than being indestructable.

slayer, check PM

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The Last Darkness wrote:The Nightbane are the Formless Ones. They are actualy the vengeful spirits of the Formless Ones who are out for revenge against The Dark and the Ba'al.

It would be more accurate to say they are reincarnations of those Formless Ones who were destroyed long ago. By all appearances the Reshapers are the Formless Ones who actually survived the initial slaughter, and several of the Nightlords' Minions are thought to be enslaved Formless Ones mystically bound into a specific form.

Tyciol wrote:
svartalf wrote:are you 100% sure that the use of a greatest artifact *REQUIRES* one to become a Sword Bearer? it looks to me that calling to a Sword Bearer is the "classic" way for such an artifact to go about its goal of continuing the war, but that it could actually "choose" anyone whom it wishes to help it, even such beings as did not wish to devote their whole life to serving the artifact. If Lord Moloch has managed to convince his Dark Destroyer that it is better for it to serve destroying *some* creatures of the Dark - in his hands - than being kept locked away and seeing those it would call be destroyed even before reaching it... why would the thing not agree?

Yes, if you read Nightlands you would hopefully be as sure.

"The Nightlords have never been able to use these powerful objects, every time they obtain one, the only thing they can do is keep them locked in a vault, lest they best used against them one day."

"Greatest Artifacts have the most impressive powers, but are intelligent and cannot be used by anybody other than it's chosen wielder (see the Sword Bearer OCC for more information)."

There is also this:

Nightlands, p. 20 wrote:Most Artifacts were powerful weapons that were devised by the Lost Race during their doomed war against the Dark. Sensing that the Nightlords are new agents and pawns of the Dark, these Artifacts wish to join in the efforts to destroy them. To do this, they need someone who will use them in battle. These chosen people are called Sword Bearers.

While in general this supports the idea of restricting Greatest Artifacts to the Sword Bearer O.C.C., notice the phrase "most Artifacts."

Thus I would submit that some Greatest Artifacts are indeed merely the equivalent of Rune Weapons, and useable by anyone.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tyciol wrote:Yes, other than the fact that he is mentioned as able to 'arm himself with it'.

After further reading, it becomes apparent to me that anyone can use a Greatest Artifact, they simply cannot use any of their abilities (which requires bonding with it) without becoming the Swordbearer OCC. In which case, Moloch could wield it as a weapon, but not use any of the powers (including the Dark Destroyer ability).

What is curious, is why Moloch would wield something which is just effectively a normal weapon in his hands, when a Greater Artifact, which he can use (and many of his avatars do use) would be more useful.

Maybe he doesn't want to lose his Nightlord powers?
The Beast

Tyciol wrote:Moloch is the only nightlord bonded to the dark (unless you count the one in Russia that might be, I can't remember if that was verified).

Which page (I'm guessing it's in Mystic Russia)?
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Look up Lord Mocker, in the Nightlands book. Other Nightlords section I think, or in Moloch's section

The Beast

Jefffar wrote:Look up Lord Mocker, in the Nightlands book. Other Nightlords section I think, or in Moloch's section

Right, of course. What was I thinking?
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

MaddogMatarese wrote:
Tyciol wrote:Moloch is the only nightlord bonded to the dark (unless you count the one in Russia that might be, I can't remember if that was verified).

Mystic Russia? Say wha?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

MaddogMatarese wrote:

no, NIghtlands

The Beast

Specter wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:

Mystic Russia? Say wha?

Nekira Sudacne

no, NIghtlands

Yes, I realize that now. No need to rub it in. :-P
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the Lost Race are the beings that knew the light bringers and Formless ones and of the dark. I'm guessing, they're Nightbane's Setting of the Immortals, I'd say that Lost One Woman from Rifts mercenaries is one of the immortals, in Cj's other games, The Atlantians are not the only Pre flood society, He had the Thulites, The Mus and Lemurians ( (Mu's being related to the mythical Shambala City) ... it's only rifts that has the Atlanteans being humans who have evolved into pyramid masters and tatoo masters.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The Lost Ones initially seem like natural candidates for the Lost Race, but unfortunately this is directly contradicted in Nightlands, where it describes the Lost Race as "friends of dragons and masters of magic." As we know from Rifts Mercenaries, the Lost Ones are effectively Mind Melters and have no magical knowledge at all.

One could make a case for the True Atlanteans of Rifts, as they are adept at magic and friends with the Chiang-Ku dragons, but the book gives them the same likelihood as elves and other mythical beings. For all we know they could even have been the progenitors of the modern Guardians (though their origin seems to lie in the Astral Plane or the mysterious Lightlands).

The identity of the Lost Race would seem to be another of the many deliberate ambiguities in the game, left entirely to the GM's whim.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Nightbane®”