Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:52 pm

D-Bee

What ratio of Nightbane to humans do you use in your campaigns? I don't recall, and can not seem to find, anything concrete in the books about it. I'm toying with the ratio of 1 manifested Nightbane/30,000 humans. That would give you 1-2 Nightbane in a town of 50,000 people and a population of about 266 Nightbane in a metropolis the size of New York. Thoughts?

If I recall correctly, no Nightbane have human parents..... They seem to just "appear" in the world. At what age do you think they appear? Infancy, toddler, young childhood? Do you have any consistent events occur around this, or is it just "Your earliest memory is of awakening in tall, damp with dew grass near an interstate on ramp..." This is all fairly plausible, as "abandoned" children are found every day in this country. It would also give the Nightlords a convenient way to track potential Nightspawn, social services does keep records you know... :demon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:00 pm

I've always assumed they appeared as newborn foundlings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:53 am

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
I'd say use something more along the lines of 1 per 100 to 1000.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:17 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
Rifts: Dark Conversions provides a forumla for how many Nightbane can appear on Rifts Earth, and it's directly linked to the number of Nightlord minions that breach the mirrorwall. While not directly applicable to the Nightbane setting, if that formula were applied to this game, then there would easily end up being a thousand or more Nightbane for every city of 50,000 or more. Which is a lot, obviously. For game purposes of keeping the Nightbane/spawn more unique and the situation more desperate, I'd keep the total number lower, on the order of 100 per 50,000.

Nightbane/spawn, to me, get their powers some time after puberty in most cases, but there will be both early and late bloomers based on traumatic experiences and all sort of environmental effects.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:51 pm

Monk

In the NB game I'm in now there are 1 NB:3 humans:4 other. Till recently it was 3 NB:1 human:3 other.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:53 pm

D-Bee

I use abstract and totaly made up numbers. I have not read in the books so I just figured there are about 1 per 1000 humans, but then I only say that 1 of 5 of those are active. So the players may meet a couple dozen banes that are not active and have the option of letting them live there lives or awakening them. Or encounter people that latter get turned into vampires/vampeers.

In our game I am getting ready to run the players new they were special for years as the person who raised them knew. When the matured physicly (age 20 ish) he helped them with there first transformation. In this way they are not very many 10 and 12 year old bane running around. After all after the transformation the bane stops aging or at least ages like 1 for every 500 years.

I decided in my games they show up in populatrion centers at around age 2 or so at least that is as far back as there memory goes.

PS: I should point out the 1 to 1000 ratio is for all supernatural and paranormal things combined not just the nightbane.

Ignore The Rules They Are There To Inhibit Your Fun.
AND Remember the rules are actually only guidelines not laws.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.