Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:19 pm

D-Bee

I've come up with a couple of new talents and I was hoping I could get some balancing feedback from you all.

Thanks in advance.

Decipher Language: This talent allows the Nightbane to more easily learn and decifer languages both spoken and written.
Spoken:When using this talent with a never before encountered language, this ability gives the nightbane a 1% cumulative change for every 5 minutes of exposure to learn the language at 1st level of proficiency. Once the language has been acquired, the talent can be further used to increase the proficiency level at a rate of 1% for every hour of exposure. With this ability, the nightbane can learn a new language at the same level of proficiency as a native speaker within 60 hours of exposure.
Written: when using this talent with a never before encountered written language, this ability gives the nightbane a 1% cumulative chance for every hour of study to learn the written language at 1st level of proficiency. Once the written language has been acquired, the talent can be further used to increase the proficiency level at a rate of 1% for each additional day of study (8 hours). Note: for this talent to work with written languages, there must be at least 250 words (roughly 1 page) written for each % point of proficiency.
Costs: This talent costs 15 PPE permanently to acquire and 15 PPE to active for 5 minutes/level of experience for spoken language and 30 PPE to activate for 1 hour for written. Regardless of spoken or written, it also costs the nightbane 2 PPE permanently for the initial acquiring of each skill.

Prodigy: This talent allows the nightbane to quickly learn new skills. The nightbane, when attempting to learn something, may activate this power and over the course of an hour, will gain 1%+(IQ/10 no rounding) in proficiency in the target skill. After 10 hours, the increase is a constant 1% per hour. Weapon skills can also be gained in this fasion, but instead of gaining 1% per hour, the nightbane must spend 25 hours of training to be at level 1 proficiency. The nightbane can then practice an additional 10 hours to increase the skill level by one. The nightbane cannot increase a weapon proficiency past their normal level of experience. Non-physical skills may be learned in this way. Skills can be learned by doing, seeing, reading, or being schooled.
Costs: This talent costs 30 PPE permanently to acquire and 30 PPE to active for one hour plus 5 PPE permanently per skill acquired(this is only paid to initially acquire the first % point of proficiency). Note: This talent can be activated along with decifer languages in order to double the proficiency % gained (ex. Can master a spoken language in a matter of 1-2 hours but the added permanent PPE cost applies to this usage of the talent)

Draw PPE: This talent allows the nightbane to transfer a portion of the PPE base from another to his/her own PPE base. This is a very powerful talent that is not without risks. If the nightbane can get the target to agree (free will, and not by ANY means of control), the nightbane can draw up to 50% of the targets base PPE (rounded up). If the target isn't a willing participant, the nightbane can only use this talent when the target is unconscious (not sleeping, but actually unconscious). Even then the victim gets a standard saving throw vs magic. If successful, the nightbane can draw up to 10% of the victims base PPE. The nightbane can double the costs associated with activating this talent for each +1 to the victims save difficulty. The nightbane can also triple the costs to force the victim to make the save without ANY bonuses (straight die roll). The nightbane can also double the costs for each 10% increase in the PPE drawn out of the victim.
Costs: This talent costs 150 PPE permanently to acquire and 2 PPE permanently (as the base cost) to activate this talent for an unwilling victim or 4 PPE permanently to activate this talent on a willing target. This talent can be taken at any level, but this cannot be purchased as a free talent.
Note: I tried to make this balanced and not overpowering. For this purpose, the cost for the willing victim is significantly higher than for an unwilling victim. I chose 4 PPE because the only willing people are most likely to be normal non-mages and non-magic users, who will have a statistical average of 7 points of PPE so it is unlikely that the nightbane will dramatically or quickly increase his/her own personal PPE base. Also, the costs to the nightbane for the uncertainty of getting a larger source is offset by the higher costs of acquiring a smaller percentage of a larger base. Also because the average mid level magic user will have roughly 120-150 PPE, the nightbane will spend 6 PPE permanently in an attempt to gain 12-15 PPE roughly 60% of the time. Statistically, the nightbane will increase their own PPE base by 2-4 PPE for each mid level magic user. But this is after the nightbane can manage to knock them unconscious. Supernatural or creatures of magic would be the big score as long as they have a large PPE base and they can be knocked unconscious.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:15 am

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
Draw PPE is too powerful. The rest are good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:23 am

Knight

Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.
draw ppe, is that a perminent Draw? Like a person who has 6 ppe will lose 3 perminently?

"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.