when can Nightbane view a psychic who is astrally projecting

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

when can Nightbane view a psychic who is astrally projecting

Unread post by Axelmania »

a) when they become a Sorcerer/Mystic and learn the spell See the Invisible and cast it
b) always! no spell needed!

Pg 70 references "most supernatural creatures" without clarifying which. This is of course a remnant from when the power was originally written for Beyond the Supernatural where many of the supernatural creatures in the book had See the Invisible as a power, so I had assumed it was kind of an opt-in process...

Pg 87 "Supernatural Senses" only appears to referecnce nightvision and sensing other nightbane, but nothing about seeing invisible stuff...

I feel compelled to confront my negative assumptions as of noticing that on page 75 of Between the Shadows under the Necrophim's "Astral Form" it pretty much repeats the Astral Projection disclaimer EXCEPT it says...
    most supernatural creatures (including Nightbane) can see them

The addition of this parenthesis... should it be intended only for Necrophim in Astral Form, or should we take that as some kind of retroactive affirmation that Nightbane are able to see all other astral projectors too?

Pg 78 also says for the Torturian "Nightbane, and most supernatural creatures"

Maybe just these two are exceptions due to being the type of evil guys Nightbane tend to be the bane of? Or should Nightbane also be freely able to see Milleks and Tarantuloids and your casually roaming lesser psychics or sorcerers as well?

Also who might the exceptions to "most" be for supernaturals who can't see Necrophim/Torturians?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: when can Nightbane view a psychic who is astrally projec

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Those SN beings that can see the invisable can see a char astral projecting in the phyical realms. Along with those specificly listed as being albe to see them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

In respect to Nightbane though, do you think that Necrophim+Torturians are the only astral projectors they can see due to the opt-in since they otherwise lack STI?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i'd expect nightbane are able to see astrally projecting people, who are readily visible to young children and all psychics.
Axelmania
Knight

All psychics? It's worth entertaining that...
"other psychics, younger children under 13 years old, animals"
...does not necessarily mean that ALL members of these groups ALL the time can see astral projectors 24/7.

BTS had a random % chance of children under 13 getting See the Invisible in stressful situations, and specific animals (dog/cat/horse I believe) got that on 24/7 for free with no % roll, so my guess is it's referring to this for category 2+3, and the 1st category should refer to psychics using "see the invisible".

Nightbane pg 76 supports this, as the power mentions "This includes ghosts, entities and the astral body".

There would be no merit at all in mentioning that a psychic using See the Invisible is able to see astral bodies when the power is active if ALL psychics in general can always see astral bodies 24/7 without needing to do anything.

Pg 70's description of Astral Projection also mentions "While the characters can see the invisible and other astral travelers, they can also see him" .. but if you could already see (for merit of being a psychic) astral travelers then there'd be no point in talking about how the "see the invisible" ability gained by astrally projecting lets you see astral travelers.

That note is slightly strange though... I mean there's got to be at least one creature out there who can turn invisible but can't see the invisible, does this mean astral projectors aren't invisible to such beings? It feels more like "they can also see him" is referring specifically to astral travelers (who gain "see the invisible" as an automatic ability, along with float/fly/pass/impervious) rather than invisible things in general...
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I decided to go back and check. The Text for Necrophim and Tautons are identical to the text used for Generic Astral Entities, except the generic one does not include Nightbane.

This leads me to beleive that it is an exception for only those two beings astral forms.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Nightbane®”