Help me with a morpus/character concept...

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Help me with a morpus/character concept...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

I'm wanting to develop a Nightbane character whose morphus is that of a power armor or robot with the goal or idea being that people actually think it is a power or robot with a human pilot inside and not being ware that he IS it.

I'd need armor for increased SDC. Some way of preventing or limiting blood loss so the first time you get injured your bleeding doesn't give you away. Although if it's power armor I guess you could claim it went through.

I'd need a built in melee weapon that could not be disarmed, say something like claws or preferably a sword that extends from the forearm.

I'd need a built in ranged weapon that fires some sort of energy beam with relatively high or unlimited capacity and another built in ragned weapon that fired a physical projectile (like gun arms) preferably with the option to create the rounds so I don't have to find ammo.

Some sort of limited flight might be nice.

That's more than enough.

How do you suggest I go about this?

tsh77769
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Help me with a morpus/character concept...

Unread post by Axelmania »

Depends on books available. Just going by Basic Set it would be as much Biomechanical s possible.

When it comes to bleeding, it wouldn't be the worst house rule in the world to consider the SDC bonuses from that section as external armor and for bleeding to only start once that's depleted.

"Metal Exoskeleton" being the core idea, 30-180 SDC before you bleed?

"Mechanical Limbs" explicitly says "do not bleed when struck, instead a sort of oil or greeze may ooze out" so that's a definite must.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Main Book: Biomechanical table
Between the Shadows: Biomechanical II table
Nightlands: Mineral table (metallic statue)
Survival Guide: Biomechanical III table, Mineral II table (iron, gold, silver), Extraterrestrial table (Alien robotic body)
Dark Designs: all things in first three entries, plus Sci-Fi table and Modern Soldier table (Personal weaponry)
Rifter: 20(Robot/Cyborg, Science Fiction tables) 44(Military Hardware Biomechanical)

The Sci-Fi table in dark designs has options for everything you listed. Rifter 20 has probably the most fun stuff, with things like fighter drones and miniature communications satellites. The Personal Weaponry selection is a good choice in that it both creates ammo and can use found ammo, and provides a ranged and melee weapon. I'd consider poking though the above for choices that similarly allow for meeting multiple needs. Alternatively, one or more of the above constraints could be met with Talents instead of Morphus options, e.g. Shadow Blast as a ranged energy attack.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I suppose the other step to look at is which of the primary nightbane tables could be used to generate an appropriate amount of these table selections.

"Almost human" doesn't seem like it would be enough (well, you can get 1 Biomechanical to be in armor, but none of the limbs/rockets/weapons stuff that most power armor would have)
"Inhuman but beautiful" would seem strange, most PA isn't geared to beauty. That said, it gives you more flexibility than "Almost human" since you don't have to ignore/reroll if you get a multi-result on the NCT, so you can get 4 Biomechanical traits that way.
"Marred Beauty" would seem off, Stigmata doesn't seem what you'd be going for.
"Lycanthrope" is out, you only get animal tables and no Biomechanical.
"Monstrous Lycanthrope" might work if you wanted some kind of animal-shaped power armor. That does include Stigmata though... but if you picked Bloody Ooze you might look like Iron Man covered in gore, or if you picked Stigmata-Biomechanical maybe it looks like some wound fused part of your PA to you.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Call the "bleeding" hydraulic fluid.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are allowed to use the optional text in the Rifters then Rifter 20 is the one you want to look at.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Who says your blood in Morphus has to be red?
Maybe it is black (lubricant) or clear-ish (hydraulic fluid)?

Can't remember the book, but I can remember somewhere that attached modern weapons could be reloaded, but would cause SDC damage as the reload occurred as the rounds are pushed through the skin. (There was also an example of a grenade launcher.) Mind, with the amount of material out there in the Megaverse, it may be an HU power...

In any case, power armour does not necessarily REQUIRE integral weaponry. Try thinking of an armoured exoskeleton instead of a piloted 'bot. Both can have a fully enclosed pilot.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Look in Rifter 15 for blood.

A weapon hand has 'in body' payload. core book.

If looking for a weapons look at rifter 20: cursed, blessed, fantasy and tech sections.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Nightbane®”