Genre Magical Girl Horror = Nightbane?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Genre Magical Girl Horror = Nightbane?

Unread post by Niji »

So having develed deeping into reading the lore and nature of the nightbanes and what not, it strikes me that the author may have been inspired by the Horror Genre of Magical Girl Series...Just..Think about it for a bit :3
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Genre Magical Girl Horror = Nightbane?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Umm, Nightbane was written in 1995. The magical girl genre was barely known in the US as existing at all, and I don't think magical girl horror genre had been invented yet, and if it had, it was in a title so obscure the odds of it being the inspiration are ludicriously small.

It hews much more closely to the personal horror in White Wolf RPG titles, and a little bit of comic book logic that permeates Palladium's eairly and middling works, and that is always where I figured the inspiration came from.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Not a historian, so not sure when the Horror Genre of Magical Girl Series started and if it influenced the author or not. But I'm with Nekira in that White Wolf RPGS had a huge influence on Nightbane. As well as other stuff like Nightbreed and other Clive Barker works.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Whatever the inspiration was, it turned out great! I love Nightbane! :)
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In the NB your idea can be replicated with the current NB features, if the char is a NB.

Otherwise I would import a "granted magic" power cat from HU2 and use the "The Psychic" skills set for the HMG/MG skills.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

my theory is that the inspiration was like horror / noir fiction and film -- World of Darkness lends itself well to the genre but look at things like Dark City, The Crow, Blade Runner, and some early stuff like that. It's kinda horror / sci-fi that's pretty dark and gritty...and AWESOME!
There is no spoon.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I always figured Clive Barkers Nightbreed were an inspiration.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

I was saying it seems very similar not nessicarily the creator drew inspiration, magical girl genre has been known in the US since 1992. And the horror version has been around since...the 80s...in...manga form(and very echi and/or hentai).

I was refering to the long transformation sequence, the becoming, the "dark kingdom" on the through the looking glass world(and indeed a lot of the magical girl genre was drawn from the alice books and similar books...). I never make references to "watched" stuff when the written form in novels and what not has been around for more decades lol. Its probably more likely that the creator drew his inspiration from the same source magical girl warrior genre drew their inspiration. Sill I find it curious I am the only one to notice this connection, which makes my assumption fairly likely as to where the author drew his inspiration for nightbane from lol.

(mystically bestowed seems similar but doesn't grant lich like comes at a cost immortality like most magical girl transformations or the wealth of abilities(talents) they posses, or the horrorful monsters they fight....even the nightlords infiltrating the government and all that aligns well with the story lines of many 80s magical girl warrior/horror/hentai books and movies)

EDIT: I am aware the "official" source of inspiration was The Night Land book from 1912 hahah, but I was talking more the subconscious inspiration. (because stuff like the becoming and the whole magical transformation sequence is pretty rare in books and media outside of japan and the he-man etc like books(which are more mystically bestowed than self powered)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This discussion is too vague. Just because we can't do conversions doesn't mean we can't discuss particulars.

Niji wrote:I was refering to the long transformation sequence, the becoming, the "dark kingdom" on the through the looking glass world

Niji it sounds like you are referring to Sailor Moon. Are there any other anime series you would like to compare here?

If we discuss particulars we can look at particular dates. Sailor Moon for example, began as a manga in '91, as an anime in '92, and the anime was dubbed and aired in the US in September 11, 1995. Nightbane was published in August 1995, a month before the first episode of the english dub of Sailor Moon aired in America.

So, unless CJ Carella happens to watch anime fansubs (which weren't particularly organized back in the mid 90s compared to their state today) or read scanlations, it is unlikely that he based it on Sailor Moon, for example.

We could look at older series if you could mention some titles though. Palladium does have an established anime connection. TMNT had an anime in the early 90s, as well as manga. Robotech is a fusion of 2 anime series. Kevin mentions retitling Rifts from 'Boomers' after learning it was a term used in Bubblegum Crisis.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Nightbane®”