Expanded Natural & Genius special abilities

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Expanded Natural & Genius special abilities

Unread post by Nightmask »

Has anyone expanded on the special abilities that are available for the Natural & Genius OCC from Between The Shadows? It seems like there is room for a number of other special abilities. In particular it seems like there should be a Mechanical Genius option like there is for for the Electrical Genius. Same cost but with an orientation on Mechanical skills (although not sure what if any kind of comparable speciality for the character like the Electrical Genius gets with their Hot-Wiring skill from the Electrical Category).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Expanded Natural & Genius special abilities

Unread post by Tor »

Hm, possibly they didn't want to take too much impact away from the Psi-Mechanics?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I had a player propose a Mechanical Genius option to me once, that I approved.

Otherwise the Natural Genius was expanded/adapted into a Power Category in PU2 for Heroes Unlimited, with additional/different special abilities.

Perhaps re-adapting those special abilities back into NB would provide increased variety.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

13eowulf wrote:I had a player propose a Mechanical Genius option to me once, that I approved.

Otherwise the Natural Genius was expanded/adapted into a Power Category in PU2 for Heroes Unlimited, with additional/different special abilities.

Perhaps re-adapting those special abilities back into NB would provide increased variety.

A possibility. Although while I liked the power category at first it seems like it's got too much going for it, such as too many skills that no longer have the cap at 98%. It kind of squeezes out some of the other power categories due to that. Still working up PPE costs for the special abilities it offers and making them available to the Nightbane OCC wouldn't be a bad deal, at least for those that make sense as something you'd have reason for a natural aptitude/interest in. Some of the abilities aren't really an outgrowth of personal interest and focus, at least not from what I can tell.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:I had a player propose a Mechanical Genius option to me once, that I approved.

A possibility. Although while I liked the power category at first it seems like it's got too much going for it, such as too many skills that no longer have the cap at 98%. It kind of squeezes out some of the other power categories due to that. Still working up PPE costs for the special abilities it offers and making them available to the Nightbane OCC wouldn't be a bad deal, at least for those that make sense as something you'd have reason for a natural aptitude/interest in. Some of the abilities aren't really an outgrowth of personal interest and focus, at least not from what I can tell.

The genius has one very big disavantage they are still fundamentally very squisy humans in
a setting with with foes who warp reality to their whim.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

There's always the PU2 class abilities.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Nightbane®”