Vicarious Living: Share your OH stories!

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Armorlord
Hero

Vicarious Living: Share your OH stories!

Unread post by Armorlord »

I am deeply saddened that I cannot manage to attend this year and I shall miss it greatly.
But that's no reason for myself and others that can't make it to be completely in the dark!

Come on in and share tales, tidbits, anecdotes, and fish stories from this year's Open House!

Funny joke?
Awesome game?
Cool moment?
Embarrassing moment?
Great swag?
Beer, caffeine, and/or sugar based insanity?

This is the place!
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Vicarious Living: Share your OH stories!

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

One short recollection:

During Kevin's opening comments tonight he opened things up for people to ask him questions. For a while people were asking about the status of various books and other products they were looking forward to; one guy asked "so where is Mechanoid Space?" Without missing a beat Kevin pointed up toward the sky, but what really made it funny was that at the exact same time about 1/3 of the audience did the exact same thing!

One other tidbit: there is a full wrack of new minis all ready to be purchased. Didn't get to look at all of them, but the few I did have time to peruse looked awesome! Kevin mentioned that they'd go on sale on the website after the Open House but we that are here get first crack at buying them (sorry, don't want to rub it in... well maybe just a little). :P
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I'm at home working overtime rather than partying at the open house. However, I picked the hotel for my friends who did go. After a series of bad experiences we have decided never to go to the god awful convention hotel we have made a habit of hitting various hotel sites and always picking better hotels. This time around however the Hotel I picked is in the middle of a renovation, the Internet does not work, the AC cut out the phones are problematic.

And I don't have to deal with it.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Clocktower Hotel is fine. Staff is accomdating.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

In Kevin's Aftermath game the whole table laughed when my 11 year old son had his character summon a water elemental to douse my character while he wa s making a speech to the townspeople. :x :badbad: He made up for it later when he had the elemental force feed a Mute potion to the enemy sorcerer. :eek: :lol:

Also a lot of people have been enjoying the Rifts-based board game I brought.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Well, at least we have an observer involved in the situation. ;)
Glad to hear things are going fun-ly!
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

Involved Observer wrote:In Kevin's Aftermath game the whole table laughed when my 11 year old son had his character summon a water elemental to douse my character while he wa s making a speech to the townspeople. :x :badbad: He made up for it later when he had the elemental force feed a Mute potion to the enemy sorcerer. :eek: :lol:

Also a lot of people have been enjoying the Rifts-based board game I brought.

I have loved playing that board game have played it more that been in Rpg games if it ever comes out will be on my preorder list
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Auction is going right now - fun to watch (& bid every now and then). The coolest so far was the upside down RUE the had a bidding war; went to $150.

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I'm still recovering....2 days...2 hours of sleep between them....approx. 34 hours of gaming...met many great people....can't wait to do it again....
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Highlights of the Open House for me (not there for the last day/Sunday):

- Bought a Glitter Boy mini! This is the first mini I've ever had, and I'm incredibly excited to have it!!!

- Played in one of Kevin's games - AWESOME!!!

- Got many, many compliments on the Rifts based board game (much of the credit belongs to my wonderful wife who made everthing look wonderful as well as being my chief play tester and all around sounding board). Still haven't gotten Kevin to play it, but I'm hopeful for the future!

- Got to meet Rex Bartold (hope I spelled it right), the genius behind PB's cool new website. He is awesome & nice, and a heck of a role player.

- Got to play a game with our good Hendrick. One of my favorite experiences of the weekend.

- The costume contest was great, and now I have another plaque to display at work!

- Brandon Aten was an awesome Game Master. Not only did he run an incredible game but he was able to integrate my 11 year old son into the game flawlessly. My wife and I were both totally impressed with how he treated our son, explaining things in a way that he could understand without being condescending or slowing the game for everyone else. Brandon is a master GM (and an awesome writer!).

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

My favorite part is where I did not have to deal with the awful combined stench of Brandon K Aten and Mike Mumah. They make soap out of rancid bacon and dead cats I swear.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Carmen Bellaire was soundly defeated by the magnificent eight on Saturday May 5, 2012
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

rat_bastard wrote:My favorite part is where I did not have to deal with the awful combined stench of Brandon K Aten and Mike Mumah. They make soap out of rancid bacon and dead cats I swear.

You can't live without our stink. We took synchronized deuces to your honor, sir.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Now that I've recovered I can comment on the Open House a bit more coherently.

First off...it's hands down the best gaming convention I've ever been to (I've been to a few).
The folks were great, the gaming was excellent (played in 5 games), the organization was stellar, the gamer stench was at an all-time low, the restrooms were fit for both man and beast and the food was both tasty and inexpensive. I am actually craving one of their hot dogs at this very moment...one piled high with ketchup, dijon mustard, relish and jalapeno's which for the most part fueled my weekend.

Gamewise I played in two BTS games (for some strange reason there were twice as many BTS games than RIFTS), a Dead Reign game, a PFRPG and a Nightbane game that overflowed past midnight to the hotel and on to 4am Sunday.

I ended up buying the new Dead Reign book, Rifter 44, a bag of goldfish crackers (which saved me from too much coffee indigestion) a couple of Diet Cokes and 3 or 4 hodogs....all of which came in around 40 bucks total. Quite reasonable and worth every farthing.

I only wish I had an alcohol fueled tale of woe and debacuery to tell, but alas I was stone sober both days.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

"I put him in a sleeper hold to wake him up"

"You'd better, or else you'll have to deal with his salad"
and no i'm not going to explain either of those further
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Baphomet wrote:

Later Friday night we played The Bungling Bros Dead rein game where we fought our way through a runaway train full of zombies. Zombies are really hard to kill when your armed with fists a cigarette lighter and a bad attitude, let me tell you. Hilarity and fun ensued.

Don't forget the guy with the boots throwing zombies to and fro.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Xavier72 wrote:I played in three games, ran four. I got some great feedback and compliments on the ones I ran; thanks to those who chatted with me afterward; I hope I have the opportunity to put suggestions to use. I don't play often (once a year if lucky) so I figured I'd just go nuts.
The 3 games I played in, run by Mark Oberle, "Mad Man" Mike and james Brown, all unique, well written and intriguing.

Thanks, but mine wasn't written. I didn't even have the stats for the aliens on paper until about half an hour before the Friday game. Which character did you play? The whole weekend was a bit of a blur for me, having only slept about 13 hours between Tuesday and Monday...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Xavier72 wrote:I played in three games, ran four. I got some great feedback and compliments on the ones I ran; thanks to those who chatted with me afterward; I hope I have the opportunity to put suggestions to use. I don't play often (once a year if lucky) so I figured I'd just go nuts.
The 3 games I played in, run by Mark Oberle, "Mad Man" Mike and james Brown, all unique, well written and intriguing.

Glad you enjoyed my game, thanks for playing!
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I had a blast in Involved Observer's :Hie, Ho!" campaign. 2 teams of NGR Spec. Forces(6 soldiers in ea. team) attempting to sneak into a Gargoyle den and retreive a captured VIP (along w/ some other poor souls), hilarity ensued when our rolls started going south on us! :? One PC even fell flat on his face and attracted the attention of 3 Gargoyles which lead to his unfortunate demise. :eek:
Blue team (my team) made it out w/ only 1 casualty(out of 6 team members), one of our heavy weps. guys, White team lost all but their Medic, who luckily enough managed to save the VIP, thus making the mission an overall success.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Lightning Lord wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:"I put him in a sleeper hold to wake him up"

I totally was in that game, but due to my almost total lack of sleep, I can't exactly remember which one it was! Rifts Japan right?

Madman mike's second aliens game

Quotes from the first:

I don't know how they do it in Whales but here in America we read top to bottom left to right -Madmanmike FAIL!
What was your problem? I've been running around in crotchless chaps with no powers killing all these aliens and you've just been napping on the job. - other Mike
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Have to say, my last game Sunday morning with James Brown was epic, if for only one reason. Two brackets of four missiles, a 12 and a nat 20. Rolled 4d6x10 damage twice. The first time, 120 points total. The nat 20? Rolled MAX DAMAGE. Yep, 24 out of a possible 24, for 480 points on the crit. 600 points total...from my V-SAM to the classic GB I was targeting. Best. Roll. EVER.

I guess that made up for all the fumbles I rolled on Scott's board game on VIP night (nine of them...ugh!).
"Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!"- Dr. John Zoidberg

"Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?"

Chicago Blackhawks, 2009-10 and 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Champions!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Primus wrote:...I guess that made up for all the fumbles I rolled on Scott's board game on VIP night (nine of them...ugh!).

My goodness! :eek: Nine Fumbles? What did you do to offend the Fates, my friend?!? :P

Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Involved Observer wrote:
Primus wrote:...I guess that made up for all the fumbles I rolled on Scott's board game on VIP night (nine of them...ugh!).

My goodness! :eek: Nine Fumbles? What did you do to offend the Fates, my friend?!? :P

My dice suck. Seriously. Maybe I need more.... :twisted:
"Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!"- Dr. John Zoidberg

"Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?"

Chicago Blackhawks, 2009-10 and 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

Return to “Palladium Open House”