What can I expect from the gamers at the OH?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dpenwood
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Life is like a potato; sometimes it's brown, but sometimes it's green.

What can I expect from the gamers at the OH?

Unread post by dpenwood »

This will be my first Palladium OH, and I'll be running a few one-shots. That being said, I have a question: Can I assume that most of the players at the OH will have some experience playing Palladium games? Or should I not make that assumption?

I ask because I ran one of these one shots at a different convention and one of the criticisms I got was that the Rifts character sheet was too complicated. It was a standard character sheet, I think I just photocopied it from one of the books or got it from DriveThruRPG or something. But if you're used to playing D&D, it can look a bit scary I suppose.

I'm also wondering if I will need to devote a few minutes to giving players a crash-course on how to play, etc... I'm totally fine with doing that, I'm just wondering if that's the expectation.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: What can I expect from the gamers at the OH?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

There will probably be some people unfamiliar with Palladium and games in general, but for the most part you're looking at experienced gamers. That said, as the designer of the official character sheets for RIFTS and Palladium Fantasy 2E, I've found it's better to simplify the format of pregens for the oneshot con games; follow the link in my sig for the characters I'm using in the HU game I'll be running as an example.

-Mike
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Generally you are going to want a supply of copper jacketed silver hollow points, holy water, napalm, thermite and a consecrated blade of some sort. And multiple flashlights, most people forget the utility of being able to see, you want a light for every firearm, one for your head and one that can double as a club. Its important to armor your ankles, neck and torso but a good pair of gloves is also vital. Newbies never remember this but eye protection is vital, a good pair of work glasses can keep pus and ichor out of your eyes. A good pair of boots is fairly vital and I strongly recommend steel or composite toes. My preferred load-out is a semi automatic rifle, a automatic pistol and a revolver in case all else fails. For a knife you can either spend 300+ dollars on something made by a small producer of knives for something that will last your lifetime or 30+ dollars on a cold steel knife that will probably last as long as you need it. Try and keep your buddy in sight and do not split up, you will find any personal communication besides speech will become unreliable as you approach the anomaly so do not split up.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

I agree w/ MadManMike - most/almost all of the people there are going to be fans & players of PB games, but simplified character sheets are still nice. That being said, for the three games I'm running one will have simplified character sheet pregens, one will have full character pregens on a custom sheet, and the third will use pregens from the Rifts GM Kit by Carl Gleba (very handy, I might add) that are in the traditional layout (or character that the players bring themselves, which would be much cooler!).
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

expect BO...expect bad diatary choices...expect what you would from any other large mass of nerd in one place.....the single hot gamer girl will not need to bring money, food, dice, cab fare, ahhhh and will be able to run the place with an iron fist... hehehe
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Most everyone at the open house will bring some experience from one of Palladium's various games but the larger problem is a number of the players in my past OH games have not played in years and are rusty to the system in general and the gaming dynamic. I usually do a little warmup, which includes asking everyone their level of experience with the game world I am running, if they have a current regular game, a quick review of my custom character sheet, and a quick run down of my take on some rules and house rules that I run. It only takes a couple of minutes and gets everyone on the same page.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Zamion138 wrote:expect BO...expect bad diatary choices...expect what you would from any other large mass of nerd in one place.....the single hot gamer girl will not need to bring money, food, dice, cab fare, ahhhh and will be able to run the place with an iron fist... hehehe

Actually, Palladium fans in general are not as bad as the average gamer; I've been to every Open House (and at Palladium in the down years) and have never had to deal with "gamer funk".
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:Generally you are going to want a supply of copper jacketed silver hollow points, holy water, napalm, thermite and a consecrated blade of some sort. And multiple flashlights, most people forget the utility of being able to see, you want a light for every firearm, one for your head and one that can double as a club. Its important to armor your ankles, neck and torso but a good pair of gloves is also vital. Newbies never remember this but eye protection is vital, a good pair of work glasses can keep pus and ichor out of your eyes. A good pair of boots is fairly vital and I strongly recommend steel or composite toes. My preferred load-out is a semi automatic rifle, a automatic pistol and a revolver in case all else fails. For a knife you can either spend 300+ dollars on something made by a small producer of knives for something that will last your lifetime or 30+ dollars on a cold steel knife that will probably last as long as you need it. Try and keep your buddy in sight and do not split up, you will find any personal communication besides speech will become unreliable as you approach the anomaly so do not split up.

Probably the most comprehensive and pertinent response I've ever seen regarding the Open House.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:expect BO...expect bad diatary choices...expect what you would from any other large mass of nerd in one place.....the single hot gamer girl will not need to bring money, food, dice, cab fare, ahhhh and will be able to run the place with an iron fist... hehehe

Actually, Palladium fans in general are not as bad as the average gamer; I've been to every Open House (and at Palladium in the down years) and have never had to deal with "gamer funk".

Only once. Most of the time though, its a non-issue.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

I've been told I emit a Manly yet incredibly pleasant and inviting aroma.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
The Galactus Kid

That's musk. And it's gross.

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

The Galactus Kid wrote:That's musk. And it's gross.

Femme
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Thank you all for making my evening better. I am in tears of laughter...

That being said, I am coming armed...

...with Johnny Walker Black Label...
"Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!"- Dr. John Zoidberg

"Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?"

Chicago Blackhawks, 2009-10 and 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Champions!
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I'll have a case of Bell's Two Hearted Ale at the least and maybe some other extras for others.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Return to “Palladium Open House”