So how goes your OH game prep?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

So how goes your OH game prep?

Unread post by Reelman »

We are 5 weeks and a couple of days from slinging dice at the warehouse and instead of working on my games I was wondering how everyone's game prep was coming.

Of my 4 events, 1 is 99% finished, just needs a quick double check. The other two (I am running one of them twice) are still in the initial planning phases call them both about 5% each.

How are your games coming along, everyone is started now right? Anyone finished? How about play testing? Just curious where everyone stands.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Re: So how goes your OH game prep?

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there, Reelman,

goes without saying that I am terribly excited about the oncoming OH. I had to drop one of the 3 adventures I had initially planned as it is just too much work, but "Operation Minotaur" is actually the one that interested me the most anyway, so I will do that twice.

OPERATION MINOTAUR: 75% done.

1. Outline: The adventure outline is written. I find it quite easy to come up with ideas for BtS; the difficult part here was to reduce because I want the players to have a good chance to finish the adventure.[CHECK]
    2. Background research: done! It is a historical - WWII - adventure and it is more fun for me if I try to get the nuts and bolts to fit, even if that will only be background noise. [CHECK]
    3. Pregens: I have now 6 of 8 pregens. Pregens really are the most work for me. I always find making characters good fun yet also a bit gruelling. I use normal character sheets. They are in excel and that helps a bit as they calculate the attribute boni and automatically help with the skill calculations. There is still terribly much to enter. Even if you know a rule book well, there is a lot to'ing and fro'ing to get the information together that is supposed to get on the sheet. Still, I will never understand how some people can seriously feel that the Pally character generation or skill systems are not detailed enough. All characters so far have turned out quite well rounded and feel very playable and complete. I hope the players will feel the same. [6/8 CHECK]
    4. Handouts: The handouts are actually more work than the pregens, I guess, but I just LOVE handouts so I do not feel the "pain" of doing them.
    I have three now. One is very important, it is the Operations Order for the mission. I think it has a sound miltary feel to it (I hope). Haven't decided if I actually need that many more. Maybe a couple of pictures to show around for a 2nd WW "authenticity" feel and, if I get around to it, because I suck at names: name tags in the name of the pregens. ... but, I have what I felt I must have, the rest is brushing up. [CHECK]
    5. Miscellaneous: I plan to laminate the character sheets as I want to use them twice and that way they are easier to transport.

6. Arcanist Test: I might have one pregens ... or who knows whom ;) ... be an arcanist, but probably in the Squid-U-Like game. It was a great reason (kick in my own butt) to get back to a discussion on the topic I had started over IIRC 6 months back and finally get around to make that BtS-II adoption of the Arcanist OCC I had promised to myself I would make and then added some (see here: Arcanist OCC adaption to BtS-II, arcanist occupation and Class Variations). It was a very fruitful discussion. That took some time away from the adventure preparations.[CHECK]

SQUID-U-LIKE: 10% done.

For my second adventure I only have the basic outline. I know what will or can happen, plot and such, but that's it for now. Again, I will have to do 8 pregens - that will be the most time consuming part. It is next on my agenda and I will start when Op Minotaur will be finished - hopefully end of next week.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I just need to finish my pregens. I have them for only one of my 4 games.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Firstly I am glad I am only running one adventure. Any more wouldve been too much and effected the quality of each.

Planning - 100%
Pregens - 100% (6).
NPCs - 100% (17 characters).
Maps - 100% (and theyre are detailed - even did another one for Soldier of Od).
Character portraits - 100% (15)
Write up - 80% (8 out of 10 sections) (1 days work).
Misc - 100% (Ive had the rewards manufactured & collected).
Playtest - 100% (the rewrites have also been added).
Last edited by The Dark Elf on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:45 am, edited 13 times in total.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I'm working on the pregens now; the advantage to being laid up with an injury is the copious amount of time I have to do whatever. Of course, taht doesn't stop me from over loading myself with multi-tasking. I've just now finished cleaning out my TiVo of programs I didn't watch while they were on, I'm rendering a set of images for a new space ship I designed last night, and playing The Fellowship of the Ring in the background while I roll these super heroes up...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Board game = 90% (need to print out new, color game board & finish the new game pieces)
NGR = 90% (Play test is done, need to go back and work in what I learned)
Free Quebec games = 40% (gotta do the pregens still)
Phase World game = 15% (looks like I'm gonna have to do up a bunch of pregens on this one too :( )
Last edited by Scott Gibbons on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
MADMANMIKE

MADMANMIKE wrote:I'm working on the pregens now; the advantage to being laid up with an injury is the copious amount of time I have to do whatever. Of course, taht doesn't stop me from over loading myself with multi-tasking. I've just now finished cleaning out my TiVo of programs I didn't watch while they were on, I'm rendering a set of images for a new space ship I designed last night, and playing The Fellowship of the Ring in the background while I roll these super heroes up...

And now an additional side step to do some art for the next Rifter...
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

There's prep involved?.....Novel Idea... :D

This year, my games are a little 'prep light'. Only thing I need to do is get a map print out. This is a nice reminder to do so.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
MADMANMIKE

Okay, got over the post-commission work blues in record time and finally finished my first pregen character; you can check it out HERE. I've also posted the character template in the Megaversal Ambassador forum, but here it is again for convenience in case anyone's interested.

NAME:
IQ:
ME:
MA:
PS:
PP:
PE:
PB:
Spd:

SDC:
Hit Points:
P.P.E.:
I.S.P.:
Weight:

Class:
Combat Skill:
Bonuses:
Powers/Abilities:

Education Level:
Skills:
Secondary Skills:

Equipment:
Money:

Origin:
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Awesome. You put the rest of us POH GMs to shame.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

I update my post as I go on, if anyone is interested.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Ive prepped some combat matrix' of all the expected encounters using the new PFRPG GM pack too.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Im getting there. Any other updates.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Galactus Kid

Ugh. I've had so much real world stuff hit. Its all good stuff, though. My wife and i are having a baby, so that is AWESOME. I may have to cancel one of my games though since i can't get the stuff done for it. As much as I hate to say it, it may have to be my japan 2 game. Not sure yet. I'll let everyone know by next week.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

The Galactus Kid wrote:Ugh. I've had so much real world stuff hit. Its all good stuff, though. My wife and i are having a baby, so that is AWESOME.

Must be your first from that but congrats all the same. :?

The Galactus Kid wrote:I may have to cancel one of my games though since i can't get the stuff done for it. As much as I hate to say it, it may have to be my japan 2 game. Not sure yet. I'll let everyone know by next week.

:(
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Galactus Kid

I'm seriously going to try not to cancel any of the games. I have the characters completed for one game and i'm getting additional help on the others.

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Better not be cancelling that game.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Galactus Kid

Jorel wrote:Better not be cancelling that game.

Doing my best not to. I'll have really dive into character gen. Actual game prep beyond character gen for me is pretty minimal since players are going to mess it up anyway. hahaha

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Ugh. I've had so much real world stuff hit. Its all good stuff, though. My wife and i are having a baby, so that is AWESOME.

Congratulations :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Yes, Congrats on the beginning of a new life and the death of your old one.

"The Devil's among us!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Jorel wrote:Yes, Congrats on the beginning of a new life and the death of your old one.

Seconded, with the footnote that the new life is much richer than the old! :-D

The Galactus Kid

Yes this is our first. We're very excited about it.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The Galactus Kid wrote:

Doing my best not to. I'll have really dive into character gen. Actual game prep beyond character gen for me is pretty minimal since players are going to mess it up anyway. hahaha

I can probably find some time to make a few Japanese PCs, if that helps. If they are new then obviously I don't have them. Otherwise let me know. I'm always glad to help.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Yes this is our first. We're very excited about it.

Start sleeping now, cause you won't later. After my most recent two I'm up to about 3-5 a night during the week and then I might get 7 each night on the weekend if I don't burn the candle at both ends.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

Jorel wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

I can probably find some time to make a few Japanese PCs, if that helps. If they are new then obviously I don't have them. Otherwise let me know. I'm always glad to help.

Awesome. I'll send some information and the template that I'd want them in, if thats ok.

Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Awesome. I'll send some information and the template that I'd want them in, if thats ok.

Ya know, if you weren't prepping for a youngin' I'd SO give you crap about outsourcing your work. :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Awesome. I'll send some information and the template that I'd want them in, if thats ok.

Ya know, if you weren't prepping for a youngin' I'd SO give you crap about outsourcing your work. :lol:

If I knew Galactus Kid I would make a jibe at this point about his missus outsourcing his work. :wink:

But I dont, so I wont... :?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
MADMANMIKE

Well, my first four pregens are done and posted to my DA gallery HERE. They're free for download if anyone else wants to use them, as well as the minion characters there from my game two years ago..

I've got the artwork done for 6 more, and I've almost completed paper minis for all of them too. Now if the screen on my laptop will just hold out... I've transferred the bulk of the work to my old iBook, it's slow but it's working...
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Ive updated my post, above and am just typing the finer details.

This close is everyone else prepared?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Planning - 100%.
Pregens - 100% (6).
NPCs - 100% (17).
Maps - 100%.
Character portraits - 100% (15).
Write up - 100% (12 sections).
Misc - 100% (Ive had the rewards manufactured, bought & collected).
Playtest - 100% (the rewrites have also been added).

DONE! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

My Dead Reign character sheets are mostly finished, just need a quick double check and to be printed.

Ran a play test of my Rifts miniatures game on Saturday night for my regular crew. The game ran pretty well, found a couple of story issues I need to tie down and a couple of character edits but all and all pretty close to being finished, just gotta write some character backgrounds and pack up the Dwarven Forge.

My Sunday Rifts game is done and in the folder, just need a quick double check.

All things considered, my prep is coming along quite nicely.
The Galactus Kid

Jorel has helped me out with a few characters for my Japan game. I have 3 characters for the Train Job done, and I'll be finishing the characters for those two games this week, and will get the Sovietski characters done this weekend.

The Galactus Kid

Have all characters for the Train Job, and the Triax 2 game done. Have a few done for the Japan game and 2 done for Russia. I'm going to work on some tonight, run a half marathon tomorrow morning, and then get a few others done tomorrow afternoon. I should be able to finish them by Sunday.

MADMANMIKE

Oy, the pressure's on. I've got five of ten pregens done; two of the remainder just need their Psionics or Magic lists done, and a third just needs the stats on her power armor done. I've got miniatures for all of the pregens plus the invaders, but I'm also trying to get some done for civilians.

And now it's hit me that I ought to do a character or two who are normal people standing up to fight the invasion...

six days to work on it, with three physical therapy sessions to gum up the works. Likewise, I'm to the point of walking on the treadmill, which isn't conducive to character creation, so that's eating some time as well...
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

:oops: I've been busy busting my hump to get thru classes and haven't even rolled up the pregens yet. It'll only take a few minutes for that and, well, the rest of the game is all in my head. I react to what the players do and don't pre-plan my games much as no plan survives contact with the enemy (gamers :lol: ).
I'll be heading out to the hotel imediately after my 9am class that Thurs. (I live in Niles, MI) so I should get there in time for check in. I can't wait!!!!
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
The Galactus Kid

keir451 wrote::oops: I've been busy busting my hump to get thru classes and haven't even rolled up the pregens yet. It'll only take a few minutes for that and, well, the rest of the game is all in my head. I react to what the players do and don't pre-plan my games much as no plan survives contact with the enemy (gamers :lol: ).
I'll be heading out to the hotel imediately after my 9am class that Thurs. (I live in Niles, MI) so I should get there in time for check in. I can't wait!!!!

Awesome!!! The games I run are very similar to yours. I have a few events that I really want to happen, so they will happen no matter what. The rest of the game is reacting to players and their action and vise versa.

MADMANMIKE

I think I could write my adventure down in just three sentences. Like you, a few key events planned, but it's mostly up to the players to run with the setup.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I'll have the 3 PCs I'm working on done Sunday hopefully. They are mostly done. My wife is in Calgary at the Calgary Sci-fi Expo meeting the cast of Star Trek: TNG. That means it is just me and 3 kids. It may have to wait until Monday or Tuesday, but either way thy will be done.

"The Devil's among us!
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
keir451 wrote::oops: I've been busy busting my hump to get thru classes and haven't even rolled up the pregens yet. It'll only take a few minutes for that and, well, the rest of the game is all in my head. I react to what the players do and don't pre-plan my games much as no plan survives contact with the enemy (gamers :lol: ).

Awesome!!! The games I run are very similar to yours. I have a few events that I really want to happen, so they will happen no matter what. The rest of the game is reacting to players and their action and vise versa.

SWEET!!! I hope to have time to run in your games, but if not, Good Gaming!!!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Rifts Board Game = 100%
NGR = 100%
Free Quebec games = 100%
Phase World game = 75% (pregens done, misc other prep in progress)

The Galactus Kid

I only have 1 or 2 more pregens to do personally, but then I think I'm done. I have a number of pregens some others are doing that should be done any day now.

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Just completed my pregens, now to finish my Finals before I go! :lol:
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

This is actually MADMANMIKE, I'm just too tired to log Lucas off his crummy laptop and log myself in.

I still have the spell selection for my Magic character, and then when we get to Westland I need to find a FedEx Office to print all these off. Leaving Effingham, Il in 4.5 hours...
Buck the System

Return to “Palladium Open House”