Open House: Babysitting / "Kindergarten" Room

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Open House: Babysitting / "Kindergarten" Room

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

in another thread this was said
Jorel wrote:
Reelman wrote:We will also have the littlest Techno-Wizard in tow, hopefully Carmen has something for him to destroy on Sunday.

We may be in the same boat if we attend. We lost our sitter, and may have an almost three year old and a six month old with us. I'm leaning towards not going if that is the case. I'm wondering how you managed at the last one in 2010. My two year old is wild and I don't think he'll likely sit through anything. That leaves my wife and myself alternating gaming and watching/chasing. Do you have any recommendations that might make it a bit easier for 2 parents with kids to relax and enjoy themselves? I think we have to bring the kids at this point, if we attend. It would be cool if they had some kind of child care setup there as many old school gamers are also parents now. I don't know about leaving my kids with strangers, but if they were there with us in the warehouse it would be cool. Just my thoughts, and tryin to deal with this harsh hand we've been dealt.

Ok, we are mostly not 16 or so anymore and some of us will come to the Open House with their children. I would, but mine will be at home across the big blue.

Now, it would be a shame if gamer-dad and gamer-mom could not play or would need to alternate between child care and dice slinging. Why don't we all try to make it easier on them and find a way to, at least, let our "prospective-new-blood-gamer"-parents have a bit of quality gaming time together. IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF GAMER/PARENTS COULD NOT COME BECAUSE OF THEIR KIDS!

I see the following options to help:

1. What is the demand?
I think there will be several kids. How many are there, please raise your virtual hand so that the need can be assessed.

2. Gamer Babysitter / Volunteers?
Who would be willing to keep an eye on a couple of kids for a bit, say 1-4 hours?

Jorel & Jim, I would give y'all a hand and watch your boys for up to 4 hours. Your small one, Jorel, I could and would but rather not if I watch the "big guys". (References: I drilled recruits in the army and have 3 daughters. :wink: )

2. We need a "kindergarten" room
Knowing kids, they tend to get in a tizzy/frenzy when in the room with lots of grown ups and will run around and, eventually, will not leave Mom and Dad in peace. It would make much more sense to have a room to retire, a kindergarten room. Would also make them easier to guard, err, watch.

Alex etc.,
    can Pally
    a. offer a room where the kids could play and be watched in a closed environment?
    b. offer/help get paper and crayons, water and/or finger colours?
    c. offer/help get pillows and blankets (for pillow fights and, the [God or Gods of your choice or good fortune if you are atheist] willing for naps?

3. A "real" kindergarten teacher for rent?
If the need is great, maybe it would be an idea to get a real kindergarten teacher. They do not earn much, I think one could find one for perhaps 10-15 bucks per hour, maybe less, and I guess such teacher might be all too happy to earn something on the weekend. So, at least, Saturday and Sunday childcare should be possible.

Can Pally look into this or anybody has an idea?

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Open House: Babysitting / "Kindergarten" Room

Unread post by Jorel »

Thanks. Yes, I have 2, which I will probably have with us. Childcare would make all the difference.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I would gladly pay for childcare from a professional there. That is a great idea.

If that weren't an option I would donate a couple hours to watching a group of others kids, in the hopes that that would earn my wife and myself a chance to game together. I am the stay at home parent currently, while my wife works. I stay home with two sons and a daughter. I have many, many years childcare experience before my 9 years as a parent. I wouldn't mind watching a group so long as the parents were easily accessible (cell phone #s) and it wasn't for a majority of the time. I'm not even opposed to changing diapers, though I don't want to deal with sick kids, or jerks (tantrums) for that matter, though that last is usually unavoidable. I just thought I would put that out there as the good Hendrik had already offered the same without even having his own kids to worry over.

"The Devil's among us!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

*inofficial bump*

Jorel & Jim,

if this does not result in some professional child care option, my offer will, of course, stand. You and your wives should at least be able to play un-"molested" for a couple of hours. Bring crayons and nunchakus, please. :wink:

Anybody else here who has child care need or offers his help?

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Out of curiosity did you have to purchase ticket for your young ones to attend the open house ?
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I wouldn't unless they were gaming. I wouldn't pay double, just to play in half as many games. I would pay for child care, so I could game the whole time. Also I'm talking kids under 5. I don't think they would play until a bit older than that.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I would like to go, bringing the family would make it easier. I have a 9 year old and 4 year old and neither one of them would be gaming. A childcare setup would be cool!

Return to “Palladium Open House”