B.Y.O.C. (Bring Your Own Character)

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

B.Y.O.C. (Bring Your Own Character)

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

So I'm thinking of running a game at the OH. It will be located in Center in the Three Galaxies setting. The characters will be delivering a package from a friend of Thraxus to a person in Center who they'll have to track down. Much mayhem and fun will ensue.

Considering the breadth and depth of potential O.C.C.s and R.C.C.s available throughout not just the Three Galaxies but all the Rifts books, I was thinking of throwing the game open for people to bring just about whatever character they wanted to the table. What do you think? Would you be interested in bringing your own character to a game at the OH?

General rules for the characters will be:
- Any non-supernatural, non-Promethian race is allowed. So no demons, vampires or demigods - but creatures of magic like Dragon hatchlings are fine.
- Light (i.e. - 250 M.D.C. or less) power armor is ok; no giant robots or anything heavier please
- Characters can be any level between 1 - 5. Magic & psionic characters should have their spells/powers picked out and ready to go before the game starts.
- Non-munchkin levels of equipment/weapons/magic items are allowed and even encouraged. So no greater or greatest rune weapons (minor rune weapons ok if they fit the character), no multi-warhead nukes, etc. You could think of the character as moderately well off; not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but not poverty-stricken either.

Each player will be given a number of pre-gen'ed contacts inside Center to help with the search. I'm also thinking of giving out some minor prizes for things like best role player, funniest one-liner and such.

In the end, the big question is "Would you go through the trouble of creating and bringing a character to the OH for just one game?"
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Re: B.Y.O.C. (Bring Your Own Character)

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

BYOC is fine as an idea and I do regularly for my games. However, most people will still want to have the option of using a premade so make sure you have plenty available.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

I'm overwhelmed by the overwhelming interest in and generally overwhelming acclaim the idea of BYOC has produced :P :lol: . Still, just to be safe, I'm planning on having a bunch of pregens put together, just in case.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I made a few characters in 2010 that I didn't use. I think I prefer the less work variety.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Return to “Palladium Open House”