POHPGPCs...Palladium Open House Pre-Gen'd Player Characters

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

POHPGPCs...Palladium Open House Pre-Gen'd Player Characters

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

How useful would it be to come prepared with a few pre-made characters for open house gaming?

GM's?

I know figuring out the who's and what's can slow things down.
I'd think that if folks came ready to roll with a character they know and like for each different game, it'd take stress off the GM's.

What do you think?

I'm going to do it anyway and more than likely post them on this thread.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: POHPGPCs...Palladium Open House Pre-Gen'd Player Characters

Unread post by Jorel »

The GMs usually provide pregen PCs for their games at the POH in my limited experience.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Jorel wrote:The GMs usually provide pregen PCs for their games at the POH in my limited experience.

True, but not always in my experience.

I still think it would be cool to roll up something you would like to play and let the GM take a gander at it.

I have a BTS character idea I'd really like to run.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

This all depends on the GM. Most (if not all) have pregens available, but several will allow you to play your own (if made by the rules and not unbalancing). I have actually somewhat tailored my pre-gens for most of my games in the past, but I can think of at least one demo where all but one player used their own character.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:
Jorel wrote:The GMs usually provide pregen PCs for their games at the POH in my limited experience.

I still think it would be cool to roll up something you would like to play and let the GM take a gander at it.

I ended up making a couple characters, for a game at the 2010 POH, and submitted them to the GM, but didn't end up getting into the game I had made the characters for.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:

I think that is cool.

Last OH every GM had pregens.

I will provide those as well because I think it is easiest for all (and for the same reason love it when GMs do that). However, I have never minded when players bring their own.

That said, here's a connected thought: I think caution is appropriate to bring a more or less "normal" characters (not maximized, not ueberbeings, unless it is a ueberbeing game). Interesting concepts ARE great (and the following is not directed at you, dear MurderCityDisciple but only a general thought) but sometimes in my experience players tend to want to try an uebercharactergodling with a pleathora of extreme items ("Yeah, he earned those 27 rune weapons, including the Swiss Army Rune Knife of Surprising AND Ludicrous Ueberpower +Plus, in my brother's basement campaign which lasted ... 3 HOURS. We were so successful, man what a story, what a complex campaign. It was awesome." - anybody else ever got a bad apple like that? I did many times over.) Personally, in the past when I was young and brash I either allowed those characters and made an example of them (very good fun) or (much fairer, wiser, and less egoistical) just did not allow them or just said "yeah, but no items, sorry pal". The point is: the advantage of pregens lies in that they should be weighed to give every player room in the party so that he gets good game time and exposure and GMs must avoid that one player steals the show, has an unfair advantage and thereby lessens the enjoyment for all.

Again, this is not directed at you MCD. As said, I always welcome a "self-made" character and think many GMs will think along similar lines.

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I posted a bunch of POH PCs years ago in this forum. Search for Loomber Jacque or Big Mecha Lucy and the thread will pop up. I also brought a stack of pregens and they were useful at pick-up games at the hotel.

As we get closer to the POH, anyone who loves making characters should volunteer their efforts because its quite possible that a couple GMs may not have chargen time in the last minute crunch and would deeply appreciate the help.

Return to “Palladium Open House”