Palladium Open House–May 4-6,2012,Possibly last Open house?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DBX
Hero

Palladium Open House–May 4-6,2012,Possibly last Open house?

Unread post by DBX »

copy/paste from latest weekly update

We’re looking at May 4-6 (plus VIP Thursday, May 3).

This may be our last Open House. Having sufficient parking is becoming a big issue. You may have to car pool from the hotel as it is. And the event is a ton of work that takes four weeks out of our production schedule. It is especially hard on Kathy Simmons, who coordinates most of it and does the catering (we’ll try to help her more). So we may make this our big, final Open House blow out.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Palladium Open House–May 4-6,2012,Possibly last Open house?

Unread post by Jorel »

Glad we can finally start planning to attend.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

There is tremendous power with In-House conventions. Stuff like DDXP and PaizoCon are very invigorating for the entire fan base and generate great PR. In fact, I doubt companies can do anything better than hosting a cool annual con to generate pure goodwill among their customers.

If we have to Carpool, that's fine. I am sure there will be plenty of volunteers. In fact, I will happily sign up and pack you crazies in the back of whatever econobox I get from Hertz.

As for the amount of effort, I hope that Kevin calls upon volunteers for help. The majority of cons are put on by volunteers who are lucky to break even for their efforts. There is no reason that Palladium could not call upon local fans to help prep the OH. I am sure there are plenty who would help if asked.
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by ingexthefuryhunter1 »

Im flying in a day early to hopefully do that
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

ingexthefuryhunter1 wrote:Im flying in a day early to hopefully do that

May 2012 so far from now that I can't bet on my schedule, but if I can swing it I would be happy to arrive a day early and help them setup and also run RPGs at the hotel.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

What is the offical hotel for the OH?
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Comfort Inn, Plymouth, MI
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Thanks Jorel!
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I live about 25 minutes away from Westland. I live in Saline which is next to Ann Arbor. I know I would gladly come down and help set up or whatever. It would be fun.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Juce734 wrote:I live about 25 minutes away from Westland. I live in Saline which is next to Ann Arbor. I know I would gladly come down and help set up or whatever. It would be fun.

You lucky man, I would so volunteer at PB's if I lived there!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Shinitenshi wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
Juce734 wrote:I live about 25 minutes away from Westland. I live in Saline which is next to Ann Arbor. I know I would gladly come down and help set up or whatever. It would be fun.

You lucky man, I would so volunteer at PB's if I lived there!

We only live 30-45 minutes away too.

AUGH!!! Stop rubbing it in! :x :lol:

My brother lives 10 minutes away from the PB office, so we'll be staying there - don't have to pay for a hotel room, but then again, don't get to hang quite as much with the other attendees. Trade-offs in everything, I guess.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

The nice thing about the hotel is that most people hang out in the conference rooms, so you can still experience as much of that as you want.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

What? The last Open House? Though I understand the reasons why, it still sucks.
:(
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Kovoston wrote:What? The last Open House? Though I understand the reasons why, it still sucks.

"Possibly" the last Open House. Bring your A game, and leave Kevin with no choice to host more. :D
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Involved Observer wrote:My brother lives 10 minutes away from the PB office, so we'll be staying there - don't have to pay for a hotel room, but then again, don't get to hang quite as much with the other attendees. Trade-offs in everything, I guess.

You realize you don't have to be a guest of the hotel to hang out in the conference room or the lobby (or in various attendees rooms in certain cases), right? Heck, Marker even made an appearance and had some drinks with us last year.

Kovoston wrote:What? The last Open House? Though I understand the reasons why, it still sucks.

Solution = Spend as much money as you can on books and other merchandise and chew Kev's ear off about how you hope he does one again next year. If it's worth Palladium's while, they'll likely find a way to make it work (or at least something like it). :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Warwolf wrote:
Involved Observer wrote:My brother lives 10 minutes away from the PB office, so we'll be staying there - don't have to pay for a hotel room, but then again, don't get to hang quite as much with the other attendees. Trade-offs in everything, I guess.

You realize you don't have to be a guest of the hotel to hang out in the conference room or the lobby (or in various attendees rooms in certain cases), right? Heck, Marker even made an appearance and had some drinks with us last year.

I realize that, but staying with the family carries certain obligations - spending some time with the brother, sister-in-law, nieces and nephew in the mornings; not coming in too late and waking people up (its a very small house, like 1,000 sq ft, and the bedroom he lets me use is right next to the kids); chipping in on food, etc. My brother isn't a gamer, and as I said it's a very small house, so I try my best not to be a burden on him and his family. It's a trade off - save some money on the hotel room which I can then spend on PB stuff, but don't get quite the full experience of hanging and gaming till the wee hours of the morning with the other uber-fans.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

My friend Joe and I are going to attend, we probably should volunteer with setup and whatnot...we both live in the area.

I probably should ask him before I volunteer his services though.

He has a lot of experience with conventioneering....he helped out at the big Comic Con for many a year.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Involved Observer wrote:It's a trade off - save some money on the hotel room which I can then spend on PB stuff, but don't get quite the full experience of hanging and gaming till the wee hours of the morning with the other uber-fans.

Sounds like a bad trade. I'd go for the full experience. You can always buy more books down the road. Think about the OH as your vacation so do whatever you can to maximize your fun on the vacation. Especially if this is the last OH (which would be crazy).

How about getting a buddy to come to the OH with you and split the cost of the hotel room? Or better yet, get 3-4 dudes and bring the price really down.

If you can't find a friend to come, there must be other PB fans who want to save money and would be willing to share a room.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Last One!!
Isn't that what KISS said about 10 tours ago?

Hum...I wonder what Kevin would look like in a Gene Simmons getup?

I have a feeling this won't be the last one...especially if it's well attended and economically advantageous. :bandit:

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If we instigate a ban on moaning about release dates during April (when they're prepping for the POH) that may go some way to having another one.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Shadow_otm wrote:Oh, talking about Open House? What kind of brownies should I bake this year? How many pans should I even bake?

Brownies are too gamey...how 'bout some delicious Goblin Cobbler in stead.

Return to “Palladium Open House”