The 2010 Hazing, I got the last laugh, I think…

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

The 2010 Hazing, I got the last laugh, I think…

Unread post by Premier »

Better late than never, as I just made it back from Montgomery & Atlanta, its time for my POH report:

POH2010 was a blast as I knew it would be! I was so geeked to be there on VIP and to see everyone come in the weekend! I brung my Whip-Cracker-Fiancé, Sonja with me for the first day and she had fun, though the whip was cracking profusely about my head and neck area until I finally got set up at the table and was shackled for production of commissions. I Hadn’t seen Irvin in several years and going to school with him since 1989 and having him in my original gaming campaign that lasted 10+ years was a sight to see him back in the Detroit! The lat time I saw Irvin was the OH before the last, so it was good to see him and especially his 3D rendered prints! The guy is nothing short of a genius.

I was also glad to see the inhuman production machine Mike Mummah and the dynamic art team of Brian & Allen Manning. As I sat between them (Yeah I did it, with no psionic or chi shielding as Apollo wasn’t there, yet) until, until… the hazing that I received by the dynamic Mannings & clever Mumah! LOL! Everyone can now blame them on my traumatized delayed work speed as I always have to recover from there intense psionic hazing & hysterical practices. No seriously, its because of these guys and me peaking over their shoulders that I have picked up on some new techniques that will “hopefully” increase my speed & compositions. Now if I can only get that price thingy right & sketch Vs illustration thingy right, then I should be all set for 2012. These guys cranked out several illustrations while I was still working on my first one of the day. DANG You ALL for the dust I had to spew out of my mouth. You left me, You left me…!

I was looking forward to talking with Brandon Aten as well, as he always has some great ideas and I took several peaks into his campaigns and heard great reports from several Players who experienced his Splicers (each game was a different campaign with a nice spin).

I finally got a chance to talk to Amy Ashbaugh, though it was still brief, and I can’t understand how this keeps happening to me, especially with her amazing talent and she had color prints and buttons, MANNNN… I think its some conspiracy caused by a Manning or Mumah, some how some way there at fault. No seriously, I was working on Commissions and so was Amy (of course) so we rarely get a chance to get up and holla at one another as much as we would like, but we try).

The same can also be said for Bradshaw. He had some goodies that I think were true treasures to be revealed and I am sooo… glad I saw them. They were of some of his original pencils and if you think I am sick with details and tones, man this guy is beyond me. I think fans should really see both mediums this man produces and request more from him, as he is truly gifted and it would be awesome to see both.

I totally missed Mike Leonard though I think my cornered seating, the Whip-Cracker staying on me about the commissions and taking in more commissions and mental hazing played a role I this as well.

I was glad to see Apollo come in Friday as the hazing seemed to stifle down as the punishment could finally be evenly distributed between him & I, lol. Apollo is truly an amazing Artist with such a crisp delivery and yet is able to meld multiple aesthetic is with his own to capture any intellectual Property he works on or illustrates with a craftsmanship that truly deserves praise. I told him he should be drawing Ultra cyclones and then we see on a book that makes both of our jaws drop. Apollo is truly a cranker of Art as he was cranking out work left and right, took a break to get some much needed rest and came back the next morning with 3 more commission sketches completed and ready for delivery. Are we sure the Mannings are the only talented twins at Palladium? I really have a lot to learn from all of the Artists!

Got a quick chance to speak with Josh Sinsapaugh in between commissions, sales, set-up and hazing, and I really felt that the time slipped through like sand. I really planned on doing a Shemarrian prototype piece with his input. Josh helped levy some of the hazing though so I owe him one.

Also got a quick chance to speak with Mark Oberle. the Co-writer on Nightbane about some thing that just might be brewing in the cooking pot slated for a Rifts setting. Anyone who knows me and knows about the “Silverveil” ideas, knows what I am talking about and seeking.

I also met the humble Hendrik from Germany, YEAH, All the way to Detroit and he enjoyed being here, talk about the power of RPGing. A True die-hard gamer since 1983-4. (he was even awarded best gamer MVP in Aten’s Splicers campaign where he played a Packmaster, a major favorite OCC of mine. Meeting him was a treat as he passed on wisdom to me and my fiancé that I think will be guiding insight for preserving happiness in our lives. This is the family environment that POH brings that so many talk about. Here we were meeting for the first time and yet we were talking about careers, family life, marriage, society & being happy in life; making sure to enjoy life, don’t waste it. Got several commissions (not convention sketches) to complete for Hendrik that I want to rival the likes of a LOTR vision.

Several other fans really came by to share their support such as Jorel, Chris, Issac, Victor (major support & long-time friend since 1993 & Artist), Meech & his girlfriend, and numerous others that I am sure I am forgetting the names of. BTW they set up shop and began drawing right there on the spot showcasing that artistic vibe that one can’t resist when surrounded by other talented Artists. And they threw down! It was a pleasure talking and signing such growing collections of Palladiumbooks!

I saw Kevin briefly as he was like the wind, but you knew he was there somewhere, always involved.

Everyone began to wonder where the original & founder of Drunken Style Studios, Mark Dudley was. Let me say that had it not been for Mark Dudley, there would be no Chuck Walton in Palladiumbooks, and several others have also been recruited due to this persistent Artist & Writer. Always glad to see him as we go way back 1993 Motor City Comic Con. I called him and he arrived that Saturday in full demand taking sketch commissions via phone orders. HELLO! Thats a first in my book for ANY convention I have EVER been to. Mark not only cranked out dynamic Sketches with his aesthetic & flare, but as usual, produced color sketches as well. Truly a jack of many Artistic trades. Between his Chainsaw Samurai and Mumah’s pink Doom cyborg bunny, Rifts will always have its unique flare that no other RPG has EVER provided. Hmmm… maybe “one Day” I will draw the Chainsaw Samurai and the Doom Bunny fighting back to back against some new armored Gargoyle(s). ONE day, just maybe, just maybe… If so I will be sure it is BIG!

I also had a good moment with talking to Carmen Bellaire, Oh yeah buddy, for all you Splicers fans, you guys just don’t know what that did for me and the cooking pot! The ideas and stories that this genius has flowing through him reminded me once again ad to why I crave the POH experience. I mean seeing him go from destroying squadrons of Veritech Fighters on a masterfully crafted model setting, handling 7-8+ Players at a time, to scribing unique stories with such Artistry and defining new mythos really keeps a me humbled.
Premier

Re: The 2010 Hazing, I got the last laugh, I think…

Unread post by Premier »

Artist panel discussion was awesome though the hazing still took place with sniper shots by Mumah. I think Brian was on chill mode, concerned for the status of Allen, I gotta admit, it didn’t feel right without Allen also up there as he was cranking on the “Wolfen with full segmented leather armor,” ARGGGHHH! I really learned some things on the panel from each Artist on the panels and why we tick the way we do.

I had fun working on the commissions as well, Ex: Issac got two, one that I had been holding since the last POH of a cyber knight and a Temperal Mage, I did (2) armored Wolfens (I delivered the last Wolfen @ 11:15 pm to the hotel, so I guess that’s a first as far as drop-offs, a Stone Elementalist/Melder, and I still have several to complete. Dang did I eat on a few of those Days? I hope I can get copies of them to upload to show you all as they really speak for themselves and the pain I went through or in some cases the pain that Allen Manning under went and will under go, snicker! He did a remarkable job on the 1st Wolfen 14 X 17 illustration (not a sketch) that was adorned in segmented leather armor. I went full gore and Allen answered back with flying colors! Heck if Kevin stole it to scan it in, you know it was off the hook! But Allen hasn’t seen the 2nd Wolfen that will be sent his way, snicker. Now the tables shall continue to turn and the TRUE hazing will now begin MMUWWHHHAAAAAHHA…! I also dropped a few bombs into Mike Mumah’s lap, one of a Warmount and the other of a new NEXUS machine, both to debut in full stat and form in the upcoming Splicers sourcebook. He threw down on the Warmount...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 5723414311

... and I can’t wait to se the NEXUS drone.

I had to leave early that Sunday to go to my cousin's College graduation,(Major congrats Francesa, GO Blue!) which was supposed to start @ 2:00PM and I left 10 minutes after 2:00PM and still made it in time to Dearborn. Talk about a man flying, but I was saddened that I didn’t get a chance to say my good byes to everyone at the POH the way I would have liked.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

It was great to meet you. Your art is Super-Dope.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Brian Manning
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Not sure how many Open House attendees got to meet Chuck, but his skill level and humility are way out of wack. He's far too humble to be as good as he is. Allen, Mumah and I are just trying to bring his ego closer to his skill level, so he can finally nail down the amount of work to put in on convention sketches for what he charges (A fantastic deal for all fans that got some original art from him). The craziest thing is how he can participate in conversations with every fan that comes up to talk to him while STILL DRAWING. C'mon man, you're making us look bad :p

Seriously, though It's always good to see you (and Sonja when she's not shopping). Seeing all the artwork from the other artists always fires me up, and all that CRAZY Splicers Preserves art is just plain jaw-dropping. It makes me want to do more art for Splicers. The problem is, everyone else would be forced to keep up with your stuff. :o
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
mumah
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I think Chuck is spliced already. He's half human, half...I don't know, half Michaelangelo Spider-Monkey. I had to point out to him that he's charging $35 for a sketch he spent 8 hours on, he's working for less than minimum wage. I mean sure, we're there for the fans and it's a lot of fun, but for the work he put in and the skill and craft applied, he could have easily sold the pieces he drew for a few hundred and the buyer would have still thought they were getting a bargain....because they would be. I charge $35 and I'm only spending about half an hour on a piece (mostly just to **** off the Mannings.)
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Jaguar Wong wrote:Not sure how many Open House attendees got to meet Chuck, but his skill level and humility are way out of wack. He's far too humble to be as good as he is. Allen, Mumah and I are just trying to bring his ego closer to his skill level, so he can finally nail down the amount of work to put in on convention sketches for what he charges (A fantastic deal for all fans that got some original art from him). The craziest thing is how he can participate in conversations with every fan that comes up to talk to him while STILL DRAWING. C'mon man, you're making us look bad :p

Seriously, though It's always good to see you (and Sonja when she's not shopping). Seeing all the artwork from the other artists always fires me up, and all that CRAZY Splicers Preserves art is just plain jaw-dropping. It makes me want to do more art for Splicers. The problem is, everyone else would be forced to keep up with your stuff. :o

Brian you are just way too kind with your words. Coming from Wonderful Artists with the high caliber such as yourself, Allen & Mumah, really presses me to stay on my toes and strive to learn & absorb more techniques in the fastest time possible. As to the convo while drawing I have that down somewhat, but not how I would like. I think I get that from the Comic cons I used to go to. Its much easier to listen to someone while drawing then having to explain to them your story over & over & over again as they peruse through ur portfolio & prints. So POH was a little easier to do, but not by much.

The part that kinda sucks is not getting to game like I wanted because of the workload, but I guess that a good problem to have as you guys also know. I “think” for 2012 POH, I will remove the dusty gloves & GM a game of my own, Chuck style. Sonja will never look at me the same, lol.

It is always good to see you guys as well, especially from so far a distance on a consistent basis. My hat goes off to you two twenty times! You guys are the epitome of devotion. Like you also stated, seeing your work and other Artists also fires me up to no end. I always seem to walk away from a the POH or a Comic Con fired up and ready to utilize new techniques, inspirations or aspects to improve myself, to test or simply to try a different concept or project out. Last time it was Line Economy, Compositions & faces. This year it is speed, Robotech Mospeada (even if its just fan art), Sketches Vs Illustrations, Adequate more Appropriate pricing (Thanks Guys), new Triax Gargoyles and the Fusion Monster idea we discussed before. Hopefully I can get the work in before the Whipcracker Sonja comes back with her cat-o-nine, asking why I haven’t finished other work yet. Heck, she’s got shopping to do and its MAC make-up and some new COACH purse that’s on her Safari, sigh...

As to the Splicers Preserves Fauna & Flora, man lets see what you got in mind, PM me so we can “chit chat.”
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Ninjabunny wrote:Chuck has mad skills..... I mean super mad skills

Thanks Ninja bunny, your words are way too kind. I try but I am not where I need to be at, yet.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

mumah wrote:I think Chuck is spliced already. He's half human, half...I don't know, half Michaelangelo Spider-Monkey. I had to point out to him that he's charging $35 for a sketch he spent 8 hours on, he's working for less than minimum wage. I mean sure, we're there for the fans and it's a lot of fun, but for the work he put in and the skill and craft applied, he could have easily sold the pieces he drew for a few hundred and the buyer would have still thought they were getting a bargain....because they would be. I charge $35 and I'm only spending about half an hour on a piece (mostly just to **** off the Mannings.)

MUMAH, I am not the one under the microscope here, it is you and the inhuman production rate that you seem to effortlessly crank out! If I am Spliced then you are a Cyborg. Any see this man work and the sped he does it and the quality achieved? It is mad crazy! Thanks to you guys, will be doing some serious speed work practices to bring my A-game next go round. I also have come to accept and agree about my prices for illustrations versus Sketches and Iwill be adjusting myself accordingly. So everyone you heard it, Blame the MUMAH and Mannings for the raise in prices, smirk. But seriously I must agree with their assessments and for those who got such work before, you guys & gals got some good deals indeed that others will be envious of hereafter. My prices will be competitive, but fair to both parties.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Premier wrote: The part that kinda sucks is not getting to game like I wanted because of the workload, but I guess that a good problem to have as you guys also know. I “think” for 2012 POH, I will remove the dusty gloves & GM a game of my own, Chuck style. Sonja will never look at me the same, lol.

2011 freelancer weekend. Don't forget.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Premier wrote:But seriously I must agree with their assessments and for those who got such work before, you guys & gals got some good deals indeed that others will be envious of hereafter. My prices will be competitive, but fair to both parties.

Wow, a guy gets a few compliments and it goes right to his head... :twisted:

At any rate, I'm not that fast. I just use about 1/1000th of the lines that you and Amy do. Call it lazy, call it efficient, but it's not about speed. I guess I'm a minimalist, a cartoonist, whatever, and you're more of a realist. While I'm closer to John Byrne or Frank Cho, you're more akin to Alex Ross. I wouldn't worry about changing speeds or techniques, because what you have goin' on is working just fine. It's not broken, sir. Don't fix it.
bradshaw
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

mumah wrote:
Premier wrote:But seriously I must agree with their assessments and for those who got such work before, you guys & gals got some good deals indeed that others will be envious of hereafter. My prices will be competitive, but fair to both parties.

At any rate, I'm not that fast. I just use about 1/1000th of the lines that you and Amy do. Call it lazy, call it efficient, but it's not about speed. I guess I'm a minimalist, a cartoonist, whatever, and you're more of a realist. While I'm closer to John Byrne or Frank Cho, you're more akin to Alex Ross. I wouldn't worry about changing speeds or techniques, because what you have goin' on is working just fine. It's not broken, sir. Don't fix it.

Frank Cho? John Byrne? Hmmm, I'd say Mumah's art is closer in style and feel to Cathy Guisewite.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Bradshaw's a big fan of Cathy Guisewite. He has the largest collection of Cathy memorabilia in the Midwest. Nick Bradshaw celebrates Cathy's entire catalog.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Premier wrote: The part that kinda sucks is not getting to game like I wanted because of the workload, but I guess that a good problem to have as you guys also know. I “think” for 2012 POH, I will remove the dusty gloves & GM a game of my own, Chuck style. Sonja will never look at me the same, lol.

2011 freelancer weekend. Don't forget.

Great point!
Maybe I can conjure up something by then, art included. Definitely would be good to sit in on a game as well.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Compliments or valid recommendations pounded over my head, through tenuous hazing, heh… hmmm, MUMAH!!!! No seriously, what sunk in was the minimum wage per hour comparison you made. Can’t beat that one even if I was a TMNT with 2 sticks on a drum.

Well, I agree we do have different styles and that you utilize a few less lines to define your work, but in the end, a masterpiece is created by you none the less. I must achieve and improve to obtain the delivery I am seeking. This is also to help me establish the various styles to my repertoire. I used my new simpler style on the “Celestials” comic art I am working on. I showed the Mannings & I believe Apollo, some of it.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

bradshaw wrote:
mumah wrote:

Frank Cho? John Byrne? Hmmm, I'd say Mumah's art is closer in style and feel to Cathy Guisewite.

Ewwwww....... OH My Oh MY OH MY!!!! Wait a minute, how much does she make doing her stuff? hmmmmmm

Return to “Palladium Open House”